Metro-North chief Howard Permut to step down after 2013 tragedies

nostalgia

post-5097-0-47448700-1389103001_thumb.jpg
After a year tainted by a string of serious accidents — including a train derailment last month that killed four people — the chief of Metro-North Railroad is stepping down, an official confirmed to the Daily News. Howard Permut, 62, announced he will retire at the end of the month, the official said. The man in charge during the first passenger fatalities in Metro-North’s history is leaving after working there for over three decades, and serving as president for the last six years. Joseph Giulietti, executive director of the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority, will succeed Permut, according to reports. Permut’s long tenure has been marred by tragedy, which came in waves during 2013.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-47448700-1389103001_thumb.jpg

Too bad he didn't leave a year ago 

I didn't have much interaction with him but he seemed to at least interest at the MetroNorth meeting in Riverdale that I attended last year.  Hopefully his successor will move continue to move the railroad forward.  Despite the tragedy, I think MetroNorth is moving in the right direction... Expanded service on the Hudson Line for the river communities and ridership is currently at its highest level ever.

I didn't have much interaction with him but he seemed to at least interest at the MetroNorth meeting in Riverdale that I attended last year.  Hopefully his successor will move continue to move the railroad forward.  Despite the tragedy, I think MetroNorth is moving in the right direction... Expanded service on the Hudson Line for the river communities and ridership is currently at its highest level ever.

I thought you wouldn t like him given that you were so mad at MNRR executives about that ConEd disruption...

I thought you wouldn t like him given that you were so mad at MNRR executives about that ConEd disruption...

Well I don't fault him for everything that went down last year.... With that said, one of my New Years' resolution is to use the express bus more and MetroNorth less.  For $8.25 I want my own seat.  Tired of having to stand in the morning.  That's the one thing that I did bring up at that meeting was that we need more service in the morning and made a point to note how ridiculously crowded the trains are. I've even seen Fernado Ferrer standing on the MetroNorth trains coming with me from Riverdale.  The train cars are like sardine cans.  For a premium price I should at least get a seat and be able to ride in comfort to my office.

Well I don't fault him for everything that went down last year.... With that said, one of my New Years' resolution is to use the express bus more and MetroNorth less.  For $8.25 I want my own seat.  Tired of having to stand in the morning.  That's the one thing that I did bring up at that meeting was that we need more service in the morning and made a point to note how ridiculously crowded the trains are. I've even seen Fernado Ferrer standing on the MetroNorth trains coming with me from Riverdale.  The train cars are like sardine cans.  For a premium price I should at least get a seat and be able to ride in comfort to my office.

The sale of any ticket includes no assurance of a seat on a particular train.

Lol typical me first commuter.. The automobile was invented in case your wondering. More service means crews work more hours. Then you will be crying about salaries and OT..

Lol typical me first commuter.. The automobile was invented in case your wondering. More service means crews work more hours. Then you will be crying about salaries and OT..

Who in their right mind (besides idiots) is going to drive into Manhattan during rush hour?  <_<  Not I...

The sale of any ticket includes no assurance of a seat on a particular train.

Yes I know that smart one... Hence my comment...

Archived