De Blasio Orders Immediate Changes To Address "Epidemic" Of Pedestrian Deaths

Turbo19

11514bdb.jpg
Mayor de Blasio speaks with the family of Noshat Nahian before the press conference (Mayor's Office)

In the wake of a series of pedestrian fatalities, Mayor de Blasio has ordered immediate changes to improve traffic safety, and directed the DOT, the NYPD, and the TLC to provide a "blueprint" for eradicating traffic fatalities and serious injuries by the year 2024. "We think there is an epidemic here, and it can't go on," the mayor said at a press conference in Woodside, just a block away from where 8-year-old Noshat Nahian was killed last month walking to school. "I said on inauguration day that we were here to make changes, and I meant it."

The immediate changes include utilizing six speed cameras the city has installed as soon as Thursday, and increasing enforcement of serious traffic violations by increasing the number of personnel in the NYPD's Highway Division.

Previously there were 180 members of the Highway Division; now there are 210, and that number will increase to 270.

The public report is to be released by February 15, and will include "concrete plans" to deter dangerous driver behavior, like speeding and failure to yield, improve conditions at 50 targeted "dangerous corridors and intersections annually," increase 20 mph safe zones, and pursue a legislative agenda that would allow New York to install red light and speeding cameras without legislation in Albany.

"We need many more," de Blasio said of the speed cameras. "Wherever data shows where they will make our streets safer. We have to protect our people." The city has the legal capacity to install just 14 more. A group of state Republican lawmakers have resisted the cameras, and been intransigent in their opposition.

Read More: Source

As long as there's cars, and pedestrians, there's gonna be accidents. The best way to curb this is to teach pedestrians to take care when crossing. That being said, new yorkers are so used to jaywalking, the cops don't even enforce jaywalking laws because they feel it's unenforceable. Perhaps it's time to change this. Now I'm not suggesting stopping everybody, but just small enforcement here and there to remind everyone that safety starts with you.

As long as there's cars, and pedestrians, there's gonna be accidents. The best way to curb this is to teach pedestrians to take care when crossing. That being said, new yorkers are so used to jaywalking, the cops don't even enforce jaywalking laws because they feel it's unenforceable. Perhaps it's time to change this. Now I'm not suggesting stopping everybody, but just small enforcement here and there to remind everyone that safety starts with you.

Really now?

When you have fatalities when pedestrians are crossing within crosswalks and holding the right of way, or even just on the sidewalk all evidence points to the statistic that the pedestrian is not at any fault the majority of the time.

Really now?

When you have fatalities when pedestrians are crossing within crosswalks and holding the right of way, or even just on the sidewalk all evidence points to the statistic that the pedestrian is not at any fault the majority of the time.

Agreed. I've had two cases where I was almost hit by a school bus (of all the things out there on the road) at a crosswalk and I had the right of way. When it comes to crosswalks and the way people drive these days it could end up injuring or killing you. Sometimes I ask myself if it's really worth it to use the crosswalk.

Agreed. I've had two cases where I was almost hit by a school bus (of all the things out there on the road) at a crosswalk and I had the right of way. When it comes to crosswalks and the way people drive these days it could end up injuring or killing you. 

The result of an auto centric society. I'd go further, but I'll keep it neutral for now.

You know how there's a pissing contest in each thread here now.

The result of an auto centric society. I'd go further, but I'll keep it neutral for now.

You know how there's a pissing contest in each thread here now.

Well that's what happens when people overreact. I don't have to go any further as I rest my case on a number of threads in the past.

Well that's what happens when people overreact. I don't have to go any further as I rest my case on a number of threads in the past.

And that's a great stance to take.

As for myself I'll monitor and hope discussion continues in a decent manner.

More personnel in the NYPD's Highway Division huh... All I want to know is where is the money coming from... Kudos to the Republicans for not rolling over to the dictator de Blasio... 

Yes, many thanks to the conservatives for objecting to the enforcement of traffic laws.

Stupid, just stupid.

No, they're exercising their right to question de Blasio's reasoning... Last time I checked that was called doing their job.  

Yes, the State Republicans are doing their job... nonetheless in a similar fashion as the Republicans in congress which repeatedly stalled the passages of acts simply because they want to pitch a fit and throw a tantrum rather than progress forward.

Yes, the State Republicans are doing their job... nonetheless in a similar fashion as the Republicans in congress which repeatedly stalled the passages of acts simply because they want to pitch a fit and throw a tantrum rather than progress forward.

lol... That depends on what you call "progress"... Taxing one class of people and giving handouts to those on welfare isn't my idea of progress... All it does it erode our tax base and enable the "progression" of more handouts.  

Seems more like an open favor to the teachers union for more jobs via 'universal pre k'.

As for this issue, even if it was Bloomberg saying the same, would people be as outraged/supporting over it? It's not about party lines or ideology, it's about 'are there enough resources to support such an initiative?' That's what it is about.

Also it isn't one group bad and one is good. There are reckless pedestrians that crosses the street when the signs say 'don't walk' and the car traffic has the right of way. And then there are cars that speed right thru the intersection even when the light turns solid red (not yellow to red). So there's plenty of fault from both sides and neither side is more innocent over the other. 

I don't like the red light cams. On principle, yes it makes people aware to slow down, but some lights like Church and ocean parkway it is sudden and forces people either to hit the breaks hard (risk getting rear ended by the car behind) or to speed thru which could cause a front end collision. What they could do is put the similar pedestrian countdown timers in place of the yellow light and then drivers will have a better idea of how much time they have left and if they should cross the intersection or stop at the light. That imo would be a fair way to balance out the installation of those red light cameras.

Really now?

Getting hit on the sidewalk is one thing. But otherwise pedestrians are just elitist a**holes. Their mindset seems to be "pedestrians have the right of way and that's that". Driving around NYC you just have to shake your head. these fools walk into the street WITHOUT LOOKING no so much as a glance. They jump into the street as soon as the light turns red, when you should make sure the cars are slowing down and coming to a stop.

The other day I was preparing to make a right turn, there were no pedestrians in the cross walk, This lady standing at the corner was looking around , maybe she was finding her direction, and she saw the walk sign and just waltzed into the street without looking <_< . You're supposed to LOOK BEFORE CROSSING. 

I'm tired of this "omg we have to make the streets safer BS" make these a**holes care about their life and cross the street accordingly. 

As for Kids getting hit, TEACH THEM HOW TO CROSS THE STREET, stop shielding them!.

A girl crossing Sunrise Highway got hit by a car, and everyone on the news, etc is like "OMG drivers go so fast, they have to watch out , they should do something, kids should be bused to school!,  etc", however, footage from a nearby gas station showed her standing at the corner then  DARTING across Sunrise Highway. Turns out she was bused to school and she missed the bus that day. Well lets stop shielding kids from crossing streets and perhaps they won't dart out into 6 lane roads. 

One time in Brooklyn I was driving down the street and I saw these kids playing on the sidewalk chasing each other, so I prepared..... Lo and behold one darts into the street. So I look directly at him and say "Really!? REALLY!?" and he gets this guilty look on his face. You can't really say more than that, because you don't know if they have ignorant parents that would be more concerned about you yelling at their child as opposed to them potentially getting critically injured. 

More personnel in the NYPD's Highway Division huh...Kudos to the Republicans for not rolling over to the dictator de Blasio...

Kudos to dictator ex President George Bush for starting illegal wars according to NATO wasting trillions of dollars. Hats off to these mongers. Anything else you like to add?

lol... That depends on what you call "progress"... Taxing one class of people and giving handouts to those on welfare isn't my idea of progress..All it does it erode our tax base and enable the "progression" of more handouts.

Still on this issue with the poor who are taking handouts when that is not true, huh? In every single thread? Not funny anymore.

All I want to know is where is the money coming from...

Taxes. Bloomberg issuing ridiculous city laws on civil infractions robbing New Yorkers for revenue. Funding from Albany, NY. Lots of avenues for city revenue....

Also it isn't one group bad and one is good.

Tell that to this guy apparently he doesnt get the point.

Next....

Seems more like an open favor to the teachers union for more jobs via 'universal pre k'.

As for this issue, even if it was Bloomberg saying the same, would people be as outraged/supporting over it? It's not about party lines or ideology, it's about 'are there enough resources to support such an initiative?' That's what it is about.

Also it isn't one group bad and one is good. There are reckless pedestrians that crosses the street when the signs say 'don't walk' and the car traffic has the right of way. And then there are cars that speed right thru the intersection even when the light turns solid red (not yellow to red). So there's plenty of fault from both sides and neither side is more innocent over the other. 

I don't like the red light cams. On principle, yes it makes people aware to slow down, but some lights like Church and ocean parkway it is sudden and forces people either to hit the breaks hard (risk getting rear ended by the car behind) or to speed thru which could cause a front end collision. What they could do is put the similar pedestrian countdown timers in place of the yellow light and then drivers will have a better idea of how much time they have left and if they should cross the intersection or stop at the light. That imo would be a fair way to balance out the installation of those red light cameras.

The red light cameras are something that needs to be revised. Perhaps extending the photo being taken to a few seconds after it turns red (with the amber on at the same time so the driver knows) so the driver does speed or get rear-ended.

Yes..very much yes..hell YES. In my opinion, as a drive, red light cameras causes more accidents than reducing accidents. Once that yellow hits, and people know there's a 'red light camera', they will slam their brakes. (I have been in both positions.)

Anyways, like you said also, there's two sides to the story, always. Yes, there are people who ignore everything and drive carelessly. But there is also people who cross carelessly without regard of a car existing. I almost came close to insurance fraud multiple times with people crossing the streets stupidly.

Getting hit on the sidewalk is one thing. But otherwise pedestrians are just elitist a**holes. Their mindset seems to be "pedestrians have the right of way and that's that". Driving around NYC you just have to shake your head. these fools walk into the street WITHOUT LOOKING no so much as a glance. They jump into the street as soon as the light turns red, when you should make sure the cars are slowing down and coming to a stop.

The other day I was preparing to make a right turn, there were no pedestrians in the cross walk, This lady standing at the corner was looking around , maybe she was finding her direction, and she saw the walk sign and just waltzed into the street without looking <_< . You're supposed to LOOK BEFORE CROSSING. 

I'm tired of this "omg we have to make the streets safer BS" make these a**holes care about their life and cross the street accordingly. 

As for Kids getting hit, TEACH THEM HOW TO CROSS THE STREET, stop shielding them!.

A girl crossing Sunrise Highway got hit by a car, and everyone on the news, etc is like "OMG drivers go so fast, they have to watch out , they should do something, kids should be bused to school!,  etc", however, footage from a nearby gas station showed her standing at the corner then  DARTING across Sunrise Highway. Turns out she was bused to school and she missed the bus that day. Well lets stop shielding kids from crossing streets and perhaps they won't dart out into 6 lane roads. 

One time in Brooklyn I was driving down the street and I saw these kids playing on the sidewalk chasing each other, so I prepared..... Lo and behold one darts into the street. So I look directly at him and say "Really!? REALLY!?" and he gets this guilty look on his face. You can't really say more than that, because you don't know if they have ignorant parents that would be more concerned about you yelling at their child as opposed to them potentially getting critically injured. 

I don't want to get that much into it, so I'll say this much. On one side of the spectrum we have incompetent pedestrians and on the other we have incompetent drivers. i won't turn this into a pissing contest so I'll stop here.

Now, even with that said everyone has to excise personal responsibility, as in all else in life I do ask this however, who can cause more harm to another, the guy walking the the crosswalk or the gut behind a motor vehicle?

What I mean by that is that as drivers being in control of a vehicle that could easily turn into a deadly weapon takes a great amount of responsibility, and while many would rather not be bothered to otherwise look out for both the incompetent drivers and pedestrians in the long run it saves you a lot of trouble for doing so.

Now, even with that said everyone has to excise personal responsibility, as in all else in life I do ask this however, who can cause more harm to another, the guy walking the the crosswalk or the gut behind a motor vehicle?

What I mean by that is that as drivers being in control of a vehicle that could easily turn into a deadly weapon takes a great amount of responsibility,

So person [A] drives down the street within speed limits approaching the green light, person dashes across the crosswalk without looking for cars, person [A] strikes person , you're telling me that person [A] in the car was doing more harm?

Please elaborate..oh wait...

i won't turn this into a pissing contest so I'll stop here.

You're flirting with it.

So person [A] drives down the street within speed limits approaching the green light, person dashes across the crosswalk without looking for cars, person [A] strikes person , you're telling me that person [A] in the car was doing more harm?

Please elaborate..oh wait...

The pedestrian would be in the wrong in that case.

That doesn't deny that factually an auto can be used as a deadly weapon.

You're flirting with it.

My specialty.

Of course the car is going to win. the point is the pedestrian that made the decision to dart in front of the car either accidentally (probably too busy texting or listening to their mp3 to notice their surroundings) or as peacemaker said, fraud caused the problems to themselves and the driver can only do so much. That is the point.

Archived