Report: PATH train should be taken over by NJT

mfs NJT459

Kinda mixed, but NJT could take it over, if they don't make it into a zoned system. I mean, yeah, we'll have to pay more for it I guess.

I didn't know that the PATH system isn't paid by taxpayers.

Which state's taxpayers did you think helped funded PATH? New Jersey's entirely....

I should hope you didn't think our (meaning, NY-ers) tax dollars went towards PATH, in any capacity.....

Which state's taxpayers did you think helped funded PATH? New Jersey's entirely....

I should hope you didn't think our (meaning, NY-ers) tax dollars went towards PATH, in any capacity.....

There better be some NY money put for the simple reason NY via taxation takes all the income tax leaving NJ with zip.

There better be some NY money put for the simple reason NY via taxation takes all the income tax leaving NJ with zip.

From the article:

"Mr. Brecher said the current financial structure of the PATH system is unsustainable. The only help the Port Authority gets in covering the cost of the system is from passengers. But the fares they pay account for just 23 percent of the cost of running the system, he said.

That leaves the Port Authority to cover the rest of the costs, which amount to about $400 million a year. The commission projected that the deficit would rise to $487 million in 2018, even with the increase in the one-way fare to $2.75, from $2.50, that is scheduled to occur in October."

-----------------

The only "NY money" being put up is by New Yorkers that utilize PATH (i.e, passengers)... No taxation on either side whatsoever.

From the article:

"Mr. Brecher said the current financial structure of the PATH system is unsustainable. The only help the Port Authority gets in covering the cost of the system is from passengers. But the fares they pay account for just 23 percent of the cost of running the system, he said.

That leaves the Port Authority to cover the rest of the costs, which amount to about $400 million a year. The commission projected that the deficit would rise to $487 million in 2018, even with the increase in the one-way fare to $2.75, from $2.50, that is scheduled to occur in October."

-----------------

The only "NY money" being put up is by New Yorkers that utilize PATH (i.e, passengers)... No taxation on either side whatsoever.

When NJ Transit is forced to take this over which it will be there better be some NY money kicked into the pot. For practical purposes NJ is paying for this as by Garden Staters pay the tolls and the fares.

It would make better sense that SEPTA takes it over

I don't think so... NJT already has a presence in connecting South Jersey with Philly, where SEPTA's links are limited to the Trenton area, far outside the range of PATCO territory.

I don't think so... NJT already has a presence in connecting South Jersey with Philly, where SEPTA's links are limited to the Trenton area, far outside the range of PATCO territory.

Dude there is an instation transfer to the MFL at 8th street. If PATCO gets taken over then it shall be by both SEPTA & NJT. why cause NJT buses go by PATCO and 2 SEPTA has many direct links to PATCO MFL, broad street spur, walk to regional rail and SEPTA express buses to KOP 124/125,and many others like 9 Andorra& 27 the list goes on and on.

Archived