Critical zero-day endangers all versions of Internet Explorer -- and XP isn't getting a fix

post-5097-0-33765200-1398775587_thumb.jpg
Hackers have uncovered the first bug that could put Windows XP users at serious risk, after Microsoft ceased support for the aging operating system less than three weeks ago. On Saturday, Microsoft announced that Internet Explorer versions 6 through 11 were at risk for so-called drive-by attacks from malicious websites. Windows XP is capable of running Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8. This new remote code execution vulnerability, dubbed CVE-2014-1776, has the potential to give hackers the same user rights as the current user.

Read more: Source

Yeah my XP experimental box actually caught it..it disables your mouse and keyboard and remote controls it to a so-called "HD Video Player" app which messes up your install. 

10299975_10152082274190669_3376939225612

Funny enough, this drive-by attack happened when i was downloading the installer for VLC media player from the official site.

The joys of having too many computers to play around with, while the primary computers are all Macs (mine being the only one that dual-boots OS X and Windows 8)...

Man it looks like many business firms are in trouble because they are *still* using Windows XP images on many workstations in their networks, even today. Even city agencies, incredible enough are still using Windows XP!

Most of these companies and agencies have bought custom tech support from Microsoft while they work on upgrading their machines. Microsoft will continue to give these companies security fixes and patches (for a few million per year) but the individual users, especially those who don't know how to do anything but open IE 6, are the ones at risk

No one should be on Windows XP anymore anyway!

There's actually people with computers that can't run anything over XP, that's the thing, and some people don't want to pay up for a new computer. The 2 old Dells I have in my room can't and 1 of them was in regular use until just the other month, and I have older family that still have and don't want to replace their XP machines. 

There's actually people with computers that can't run anything over XP, that's the thing, and some people don't want to pay up for a new computer. The 2 old Dells I have in my room can't and 1 of them was in regular use until just the other month, and I have older family that still have and don't want to replace their XP machines. 

There is literally no excuse for running a 13 year old OS. Upgrade the computer! You can get them really cheap these days.

Most of these companies and agencies have bought custom tech support from Microsoft while they work on upgrading their machines. Microsoft will continue to give these companies security fixes and patches (for a few million per year) but the individual users, especially those who don't know how to do anything but open IE 6, are the ones at risk

True.

I think the additional reason many network administrators and computer support teams in the white collar world of IT don't want to let Win XP go, as of yet, is because of the fact that they have custom apps and third party applications used for various purposes in terms of company operation, that is currently incompatible with Win 7. Many of the companies IT departments still use custom Win XP images deployed with these applications built in (for bookkeeping etc) not compatible with Win 7 which currently the software developers cannot solve, yet, in order to go for the upgrades. So the IT departments are dragging their feet in terms of OS upgrades.

This problem has been known for sometime and PCmag reports Microsoft has now a fix for all IE's from 6 to 11 on the website now. If it still bothers you use Chrome or Maxthon as your browser as they are bulletproof and still have upgrades.

Chrome with a hardened Linux installation is possibly the most secure you can get. Chrome uses several additional security features offered by Linux. For a someone who does most work with a browser, a Chrome+Linux combo is sufficient.

True.

I think the additional reason many network administrators and computer support teams in the white collar world of IT don't want to let Win XP go, as of yet, is because of the fact that they have custom apps and third party applications used for various purposes in terms of company operation, that is currently incompatible with Win 7. Many of the companies IT departments still use custom Win XP images deployed with these applications built in (for bookkeeping etc) not compatible with Win 7 which currently the software developers cannot solve, yet, in order to go for the upgrades. So the IT departments are dragging their feet in terms of OS upgrades.

It is also a matter of hardware. I work in IT and some of the machines that I see some companies use amaze me. I still see businesses and schools use single core Pentium Hyperthread CPUs with 128 MB RAM that can barely run Windows 2000 or XP, let alone Windows 7 or 8.1. In addition to buying new Windows licenses, many businesses have to get new hardware as well. However, the blame lies squarely with the business. They have been warned for years about Windows XP end of support, but many businesses literally chose to do nothing until the last possible moment, and that is why there are companies paying Microsoft millions a year for tech support while they scramble to get everything up to date.

It is also a matter of hardware. I work in IT and some of the machines that I see some companies use amaze me. I still see businesses and schools use single core Pentium Hyperthread CPUs with 128 MB RAM that can barely run Windows 2000 or XP, let alone Windows 7 or 8.1. In addition to buying new Windows licenses, many businesses have to get new hardware as well. However, the blame lies squarely with the business. They have been warned for years about Windows XP end of support, but many businesses literally chose to do nothing until the last possible moment, and that is why there are companies paying Microsoft millions a year for tech support while they scramble to get everything up to date.

Yup! I saw a recent issue with a fellow tech where they were trying to install Win 7 64 Bit images remote desktop on 32 bit machines! Well no shit no wonder we had problems on the LANs, lol.

Archived