Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

that would be a good idea but im mixed on that because it would be flame wars in that type of thread

I also think it could work but before I (or anyone else) does that, we have to get a few people on board with this idea because of as you pointed out, flame wars. I'll post a status update and see who likes this idea.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think it could work but before I (or anyone else) does that, we have to get a few people on board with this idea because of as you pointed out, flame wars. I'll post a status update and see who likes this idea.

We have a thread for proposals. I don't think a new thread will be needed for that.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

I hope you guys are ready for more surprises:

Major R179 updates.

Although the test train has been completed, MTA has yet again rejected the pilot in an audit inspection, and officially put the program on hold indefinitely.

Ladies and gentleman, the ish is definitely about to hit the fan! Enjoy the R42's and strange swaps. This has only just begun!

Stuff we already know, and some more that is a bit unexpected. For more info look at the R179 thread.

I think it has to do with the MTA can change anything at anytime, and it could lead to someone believing Rxxx could end up on the X line, which would make something look for one unit that isn't even on that line. Correct me if I'm wrong. I might just make a speculation thread so that way there are no problems with speculation and everyone could be happy.

But like Daniel said, that's what the Proposal Thread is for.

Also, for the record, you're correct that I should have just ignored that R3216068E kid. I don't care what he says because of the reasons that both me and Art Vandelay literally tried to described:

Softly speaking...you realize that both the (N) and (W) share the same northern terminal and are both based out of the same shop facility (yes shop facility), right? You need to make them entirely NTTs so they can share trains at any given time like the (2) and (5) do. Believe it or not, it's entirely up to you. They just need a bit more trainsets for Coney Island to fix that. That's why you wonder that the (MTA) included 40 R179s being in five-car sets. Chances are you would likely see some R68s and/or R68As back on the (Q), not the (N) and (W).

Once the R179 order comes in, the C and J will be nearly filled with NTTs, if not entirely so. The R32s will need to run somewhere. If the Montague tunnel clearance issues are fixed by then, there is no reason not to put them at Coney Island. My point is that constraints of yesterday and today are not the constraints of tomorrow. Furthermore, even if the tube clearance issues are not fixed, if the need arises, they can still be assigned to the B/D. They just could not be routed through Montague.

Either way, I suspect that they will end their service lives on a line besides the A/C/J.

But MysteriousBtrain, of course, people are free to voice their own ideas of the way they want things to be for the subway. I, for one, think that keeping the (N) and (W) entirely NTTs makes the most sense because if those two lines get some or most SMEEs, (N) trains would simply not be reassigned as (W) 's or vice-versa once they hit Astoria, and I doubt the agency wants the train crew to spend 5 or 10 minutes changing both the route sign and the south terminal sign on the SMEEs. With NTTs (or at least, R46s), any arriving train at Astoria would only spend at most 1-2 minutes tops. Not to mention both lines being based out of the same yard/shop. It's the same issue with the (2) and (5).

Only a few R32s will be kept after the R179 order is complete. If the (B) gets those few R32s, it'll give its few R68/As to the (Q), which will give its R160s for a restored (W) to make things easier for the demanding lines. So yeah, I should have just stick to my own point and not listen. Neither the (B) nor the (Q) feature any interconnection and constant rollsign changing anyway. That's why keeping them a few, most or entirely SMEEs on those two lines isn't far off at all.

Thanks.

IMHO I think they should just keep it simple and keep the R32s in ENY and 207 st yard because it would make no sense to put them on lines that are some of the most demanding but IMHO I think they should be split between Coney island yard and jamaica some R32s should be on the (B) or (W) trains since they are part time lines and Brighton riders will complain about R46s on the (B) because of vibration issues and the rest should go to Jamaica to go on the (F) (since the (E) riders would most likely complain)

Brighton riders will complain about R46s on the (B) because of vibration issues and the rest should go to Jamaica to go on the (F) (since the (E) riders would most likely complain)

I don't see how and why they would complain, the issue was in the 70's when the 46's had the Rockwell trucks. A 46 or two makes it way down the Brighton every once in a while and I highly doubt anyone notices. There are very rare occasions when an (F) is re-routed via Brighton usually via (B) line.

I don't see how and why they would complain, the issue was in the 70's when the 46's had the Rockwell trucks. A 46 or two makes it way down the Brighton every once in a while and I highly doubt anyone notices. There are very rare occasions when an (F) is re-routed via Brighton usually via (B) line.

The (F) gets rerouted to Brighton? When? Do you have footage I would love to see that footage

IMHO here's what I think should happen when the R179s come in at ENY and 207 st yard

(A) R179, R46, (with an occasional R32)

(B) R68A, R46

(C) all R160, a few R32s

(D) R68 with some R68A

(E) all R160 (would say R32s but the riders would most likely complain)

(F) R160 with some R32s

(G) all R46s

(J)/(Z) all R160 with some R179 and R143s

(L) R143, R160

(M) all R160

(N) R160s, a few R68As

(Q)R179,R160,some R68s

®R46,R160

(W)R160, R32s

The (A) will have R179s so IMO they should push those R46s to coney island yard for the (B) and (G) this is my theory don't take it to seriously

Edited by R3216068E

The (F) gets rerouted to Brighton? When? Do you have footage I would love to see that footage

Why do you need footage? It has happened because I've seen it not been told but SEEN it. The (F) very seldom gets re-routed via Brighton, you'd be surprised the things I've SEEN without having camera on hand or cellular device such as R46 (C) re-routed via Concourse also 32 C this was about 3-4 years ago. The things I've heard are different.

Why do you need footage? It has happened because I've seen it not been told but SEEN it. The (F) very seldom gets re-routed via Brighton, you'd be surprised the things I've SEEN without having camera on hand or cellular device such as R46 (C) re-routed via Concourse also 32 C this was about 3-4 years ago. The things I've heard are different.

I'm just asking I like seeing rare things

IMHO here's what I think should happen when the R179s come in at ENY and 207 st yard

(A) R179, R46, (with an occasional R32)

(B) R68A, R46

(C) all R160, a few R32s

(D) R68 with some R68A

(E) all R160 (would say R32s but the riders would most likely complain)

(F) R160 with some R32s

(G) all R46s

(J)/(Z) all R160 with some R179 and R143s

(L) R143, R160

(M) all R160

(N) R160s, a few R68As

(Q)R179,R160,some R68s

®R46,R160

(W)R160, R32s

The (A) will have R179s so IMO they should push those R46s to coney island yard for the (B) and (G) this is my theory don't take it to seriously

R46 on the (B)... Interesting... However, are they even banned from the line or it's okay to operate?

However, are they even banned from the line or it's okay to operate?

They can operate on the Brighton if necessary, as I told the other person I've seen an R-46 (F) operating via Brighton. IIRC it was about 3 years ago. As for "banned" I'm not sure if its a STRICT ban as the R-32s are banned from certain lines. And the 46's had Rockwell trucks they don't anymore when 46's operated regularly on the Brighton in the 70's.

R46 on the (B)... Interesting... However, are they even banned from the line or it's okay to operate?

Na, I don't think they are banned from the line anymore back in the day the people on Brighton did complain about them because of vibration issues but that's when they had the Rockwell trucks Edited by R3216068E

Na, I don't think they are banned from the line anymore back in the day the people on Brighton did complain about them because of vibration issues but that's when they had the Rockwell trucks

So maybe it shouldn't be a big deal then if 46's don't have those trucks.

Oh, and on another note, the passengers and rider adovacy groups are really starting to get fed up of the R32's now.

So maybe it shouldn't be a big deal then if 46's don't have those trucks.

Oh, and on another note, the passengers and rider adovacy groups are really starting to get fed up of the R32's now.

Nothing anyone can do about it until the R179s get here. Let's hope the R32's and R42's don't start dropping like flies in the coming years.

Somebody said that the (M) isn't going to see any R32's anymore.

It's been said straight out of RTO management that R32s are going to hit the (M) next month and they also want some R32s on the (M) because of the myrtle ave El nect year construction I also heard that R143s are going to hit the (M) to Edited by R3216068E

they're hitting the (M), all (M) line Crews were notified, by next pick (December 2015) the (M) will be 90% R32's, the (C) will be 90-100% R160, the GO would start at the beginning of 2016 for the structure work, September about 4 sets will start to show up ( I heard they can show up anytime) but with the reduced (M) service starting this monday all the way until the 4th of september i would say by september You'll will start to see a few pop up, they will start off with 4 sets until the next pick, this came from Car Equipment

they'll most likely have 1-2 R143/160's on the (M) for OPTO service and a 4 car R143/160 is light as well vs an 8 car trainset of R143/160's