Police: Taxi Driver Seriously Hurt in Crash With County Bus

mac5689

Unless the S59 was running late, it would appear that this is another EBT operated bus involved in this accident. 

http://hauppauge.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/police-taxi-driver-seriously-hurt-in-crash-with-county-bus50719

A taxi driver was seriously injured Tuesday evening when his car rear-ended a Suffolk County Transit bus in Bohemia, police said. 

According to police, Michael Lupo, of Centereach, was driving a 2003 Ford for Islandwide Taxi eastbound on Veterans Memorial Highway when his vehicle hit the bus that was stopping for a red light at Orville Drive at 6:52 p.m.

Lupo, 33, treated at the scene by Sayville Community Ambulance Company members and then transported via Suffolk County Police helicopter to Stony Brook University Hospital, where he is being treated for severe leg and chest injuries, police said. 

The bus driver, Cecilia Ortiz-Lopez, 65, of Babylon, and a male passenger on the bus were not injured, police said. 

The bus was inspected at the scene by the Suffolk County Police Motor Carrier Safety Section and the taxi was impounded for a safety check, police said. 

The investigation is continuing and detectives are asking anyone with information about the crash to call the Fifth Squad at 631-854-8552.

I wanted to say this seemed to be a tailgating issue/following too closely, but given that he sustained a severe leg injury, he must of been going fast and I doubt the bus just slammed the brakes to stop at the red. Hmm, I curious of more details.

Every time I read newday daily, Long Island always seem to have accidents.

It' awful.

Vehicle drivers need to stay focus on road, use turn signal, yield to pedestrian in crosswalk, obey railroad crossing gate, and stop distracted driving like texting or talking on cell phone, etc.

I wanted to say this seemed to be a tailgating issue/following too closely, but given that he sustained a severe leg injury, he must of been going fast and I doubt the bus just slammed the brakes to stop at the red. Hmm, I curious of more details.

Try tailgating, no seat belt and braking at impact for the injury

Did you even read my post? I stated tailgating but I'm leaning towards speeding.

Did you even read my post? I stated tailgating but I'm leaning towards speeding.

I'll explain so it makes sense. If you have an impact where the airbag deploys and the seatbelt is not on the body submarines under the dash. If his foot was on the brake when it happened you can easily break your leg because of the leverage plus you are hitting metal under that dash. Seen too many accidents over too many years and you know by the injuries what happened.

Since it was a rear-end, at least the B/O shouldn't get any blame for this. 

Hopefully. I mean someone could try blaming it on the driver by saying that she stopped abruptly because of her age. 

I wouldn't be suprised if the driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt. I have no idea what Islandwide's policy is, but the last time I took a taxi of one of their competitor in my area, I don't think the driver was wearing his seatbelt. In fact I think most of the time I took a Taxi driven by the competitor, the drivers weren't wearing their seatbelt. 

Hopefully. I mean someone could try blaming it on the driver by saying that she stopped abruptly because of her age. 

Even so, from an insurance perspective, a rear-end is always considered the fault of the person behind (i.e. the hitter). Even if the person in front of you stops short, it is your responsibility to stay far enough behind them that you could stop too. 

It's Long Island. It's probably both tailgating and speeding. On Long Island, there's no respect for bus drivers whether it be the coach buses on the LIE, NICE, or SCT. Taxi drivers are usually the most aggressive out of all drivers because they're on the road all day, everyday.

Even so, from an insurance perspective, a rear-end is always considered the fault of the person behind (i.e. the hitter). Even if the person in front of you stops short, it is your responsibility to stay far enough behind them that you could stop too. 

Bingo!

The article said the bus driver was 65, that's really not that old especially for bus drivers. lol

Sometimes companies "blame" their driver because a professional driver is supposed to know better and drive in a certain way. For example a greyhound driver sees a car flying on an on ramp to enter the highway, the car strikes the bus in its lane. Legally the driver of the car is 100% at fault but if the bus driver tells the cop they saw the car and that ends up in the police report the bus driver will most likely be charged for a preventable accident by Greyhound because "a professional Greyhound driver always yields the right of way."

If the sct driver stopped abruptly she might not legally be at fault but suffer consequences depending on the rules sct and EBT have. It is her duty to stop without cursing an accident or injuring her passengers. School and transit busses don't stop on a dime and when a light turns yellow a bus driver might have a second to judge whether to stop or proceed through the intersection. When a bus is doing 45-60mph stopping for seeing a yellow and getting stopped for a red feels very abrupt for the passengers.

Even so, from an insurance perspective, a rear-end is always considered the fault of the person behind (i.e. the hitter). Even if the person in front of you stops short, it is your responsibility to stay far enough behind them that you could stop too.

Bingo!

I don't know what "from an insurance standpoint" means but legally the person behind in rear end accident is almost always at fault.

But let's think about this, a bus takes much longer to stop than a cab so can't we assume that even if the bus "slammed on its brakes" wouldn't the taxi have enough time to stop unless the taxi was going much faster or wasn't paying attention?

I don't know what "from an insurance standpoint" means but legally the person behind in rear end accident is almost always at fault.

But let's think about this, a bus takes much longer to stop than a cab so can't we assume that even if the bus "slammed on its brakes" wouldn't the taxi have enough time to stop unless the taxi was going much faster or wasn't paying attention?

"From an insurance standpoint" means that when it comes time for the insurance companies to decide who pays for what, they "behind" person's insurance company gets stuck with the bill, which usually then gets passed back to the driver at fault through a higher premium. 

Ha that's a load of crap, it always comes back to the law and the person at fault is almost always at fault. I don't know who told you that from an insurance standpoint the person behind (the hitter) is a always at fault. I hope it wasn't an insurance company that told you that, if they did they took you for a ride.

If you are driving down the road, you have safe distance behind the car in front of you, I come along in the left lane (going the same direction) I want to get over at the last second to get into the parking lot on the right. I cut in front of you in that safe area you between you and the car in front go you. After cutting you off I slam on my brakes to slow down to turn in the parking lot. You rear end me... Are you at fault. Instead of that accident a car comes flying out of a parking lot, you rear end it... Are you at fault? I could keep going with scenarios all night... Are you going to accept an insurance company telling you that you are at fault when the law is on your side?

Ha that's a load of crap, it always comes back to the law and the person at fault is almost always at fault.

Haha that should've read "...a person behind is almost always at fault." Not "... the person at fault is almost always at fault." lol

It's Long Island. It's probably both tailgating and speeding. On Long Island, there's no respect for bus drivers whether it be the coach buses on the LIE, NICE, or SCT. Taxi drivers are usually the most aggressive out of all drivers because they're on the road all day, everyday.

It's not just only in Long Island, it's happened quiet often on Westchester, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, Orange Counties as well and most of car drivers are very aggresive, road rage, speedy, tailgating, no signals, no headlights, cutting buses off, etc.

So that person who just came on here bitching and defending the cab driver was a fake and got banned? My god, these discussions are becoming jokes.

I hope that's not true, these people need to get a life if it is... Seriously, I wasted my time replying to it...

The article said the bus driver was 65, that's really not that old especially for bus drivers. lol

Considering that CBS had a female driver that was in her late 60's, early 70's, I wouldn't say that 65 is that old either. 

School and transit busses don't stop on a dime and when a light turns yellow a bus driver might have a second to judge whether to stop or proceed through the intersection. When a bus is doing 45-60mph stopping for seeing a yellow and getting stopped for a red feels very abrupt for the passengers.

I didn't mean to sound like I thought that stopping a bus was easy or that stopping one wouldn't fee abrupt. I mean I've bee on a few buses were the driver had to stop short, once when a car decided to pull out of a gas station right infront of the bus. Another time, I wasn't present, but my mother, sister, and  niece were on a bus that had to stop short going through an intersection because a car ran a red light. The stop was so abrupt that my niece was almsot got hurt, which scared the bus driver and several other passengers. 

Archived