R train tunnel to reopen on Monday: New York Post

realizm

Governor Cuomo has made the official announcement: http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/091414-r-train-restoration

==========================================================================================

New York State Chief Information officer/Office for Technology

Andrew M. Cuomo - Governor

Governor Cuomo Announces Early Completion of Superstorm Sandy Recovery Work in Montague Subway Tunnel

Printer-friendly version

R Train Service between Brooklyn and Manhattan Restored Ahead of Schedule and Under Budget

Rebuilt Tunnel Will Better Withstand Future Storms

Albany, NY (September 14, 2014)

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today joined Metropolitan Transportation Authority leaders and elected officials from New York City to mark the restoration of normal R subway service between Brooklyn and Manhattan. This announcement follows the successful rebuilding of the Montague Tube subway tunnel that was inundated with salt water during Superstorm Sandy. Regular R service will resume at 6 a.m. Monday.

The $250 million project was completed ahead of schedule and under budget, during an unprecedented full shutdown of the Montague Tube subway tunnel under the East River. An estimated 27 million gallons of water poured into a 4,000-foot stretch of the tunnel during Sandy, which corroded every element of subway infrastructure from electronic signal equipment to tunnel lighting to the steel rails themselves.

“Superstorm Sandy brought incredible destruction down on the New York City subway system – but today we’re taking another huge step forward to repair the damage and strengthen the system to withstand the next major storm,” Governor Cuomo said. “This tunnel is safer, stronger and more resilient than ever before, and everything on this section of the R train is new – new rails, new signals, new pumps and new power supplies. We’ve made it a top priority to reimagine our state to withstand the new reality of extreme weather, and today is another example of how that approach is making this a safer state for all.”

MTA Chairman and CEO Thomas F. Prendergast said, “New York’s transit network suffered more damage during Sandy than anyone at the MTA has ever seen in our lifetimes. The effort required to rebuild the Montague Tube was nothing short of heroic. It took more than a year of round-the-clock reconstruction in difficult conditions, but we have restored the R train with a smoother and more reliable ride in a tunnel built to handle future climate risks. We are grateful to the Federal Transit Administration for funding this project as well as to the workers whose efforts made it happen. And of course, I want to thank Governor Cuomo for his leadership in making the MTA and New York stronger, and our customers for their patience while we rebuilt this tunnel from the ground up.”

The R train ran in two sections during most of the work. One train section operated in Brooklyn, from 95 St in Bay Ridge to Court St in downtown Brooklyn. The other operated from Whitehall St in lower Manhattan to 71 Av in Forest Hills, Queens. On weekends, the R train operated in one section over the Manhattan Bridge but skipped six stops in lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.

The Montague Tube was shut down Aug. 3, 2013 to allow workers unfettered access to remove damaged equipment from the two tunnels and demolish concrete and terra cotta duct banks in both tubes that had collapsed. Construction crews had to enter the 4,000-foot section under the East River from entry points in Manhattan and Brooklyn, removing all debris and bringing in all equipment and tools through the tunnels themselves. Crews replaced 11,000 feet of track, 30,000 feet of concrete and terra cotta duct banks, 75,000 feet of power cable and 200,000 feet of communications cable.

Federal Transit Administration Acting Administrator Therese McMillan said, “I want to thank all the hard-working men and women of the New York MTA for their steadfast support as we aid in New York’s full recovery from one of the worst storm’s in the region’s history. The funds we awarded MTA after Superstorm Sandy have gone a long way to repair and rebuild their infrastructure. We are proud to be able to tell New Yorkers that today, we’re giving them back a vital piece of their system – and it’s stronger than before.”

MTA Fix & Fortify engineers designed the tunnel repairs with a variety of new strategies to limit the impact of any flooding from future storms, including:

A critical signal relay room was relocated from track level to a higher floor in the Whitehall St. station complex,

A circuit breaker room in the tunnel providing power to the tracks was sealed with heavy-duty waterproofing and a submarine-quality door,

Emergency lights were installed with battery backups,

New power and antenna cables were selected for their ability to withstand water inundation, and New pumping equipment with additional capacity was installed within the tunnel.

The successful reopening of the Montague Tube is the second accomplishment in recent weeks of the MTA’s Fix & Fortify program, which is rebuilding an infrastructure network that suffered billions of dollars’ worth of damage from Sandy while also making it more resilient against future storms. The Greenpoint Tube, which carries the G train under the Newtown Creek between Brooklyn and Queens, reopened after a first-ever five-week shutdown to recover from flood damage as well.

Nine MTA subway tunnels were flooded during Sandy, the South Ferry subway station was completely inundated, the A train tracks over Jamaica Bay in Queens were destroyed. Two vehicular tunnels under the East River were also flooded, the Long Island Rail Road’s Long Beach Branch suffered heavy flooding damage and long sections of Metro-North Railroad tracks were underwater as well.

###

=======================================================================================

The MTA homepage has been updated: http://www.mta.info/status/subway/NQR/23512279

Sandy Reroute Posted: 09/14/2014 6:08PM

FF_Pos_16.png

r.png No service at City Hall, Cortlandt, Rector, Whitehall, Court Sts and Jay St-MetroTech Stations

Use 2.png3.png4.pnga.pngc.png service to/from nearby stations

Regular service through the Montague Tubes resumes at 11 PM Sunday, Sep 14.

==============================================================================================

We were initially correct: It starts in a matter of hours.

That mean the N trains will start going thru the Montague Tunnel first before R

Took the (R) to Whitehall this morning. I wanted to fist pump the air at how fast my commute is going to be while still being able to avoid the monstrosity that is Atlatic-Barclays!

I loved the two bankers who came out of the station telling each other "The (R) is back!" 

It seems two timers were actually removed from the S/B so the run is actually faster, which is a first. The tunnels look practically like they were just built brand new as the concrete benchwalls was cleaned. New 115 lbs rail were installed. Its clearly apparent that a heck of alot of work was done.

It seems they will be giving the tunnel a workout this weekend. The Bridge's south tracks will be out of service, forcing (N) and (Q) trains via Whitehall.

Yes thats what I have heard as well: Manhattan Bridge GOs. What I also heard was that they with the Fix and Fotrify program is that they might consider shutting down the Cranberry tubes next. They might split the services on the A and C. Possibly with the A in Brooklyn and the C in Manhattan. I've actually ran into Brighton Local, Metro CSW and others last night during my efforts to get photos and this was what we were discussing. The MTA heads has not confirmed this 100% for RTO division so noone is really sure at this point.

In school now, took the R straight to City Hall. There is definitely alot of press at Whitehall as well as many transit enthusiasts. The stations along the ROW looks pristine, I was totally impressed.

Shutting down the Cranberry would cause a lot more of an uproar don't you think? But alas, I have a feeling it is necessary.

Burning question: will the R be going back to 99% r46?

Agreed the persons in the neighborhoods that the A and C serves in all boroughs will not be too happy with this, but it is what is.

Hmmm... on the R46s, when I commuted this morning to where I am at in the city now, just on a single ride I got a tally of 3 R46s to 1 R160 on the R. Couldnt stick around but I promise to keep a more accurate track of this as much as possible

Found this on Andrew Cuomo's Flicker page btw. Many thanks to the person who gave me the lead on this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/governorandrewcuomo/15053026837/sizes/l

15053026837_493058307d_b.jpg

Wow already they going to have that GO this weekend where 3 subway lines NQR will tunnel between Manhattan & Brooklyn before it use to be a huge traffic jam

Yes as I can recall during the last Manny B closure we had N and R trains utilizing the tunnel before N Broadway Express service was restored. Curious as to how this will go in anticipation of the GOs to come which is pending.

Yes true, theres the Rutgers Street tunnel. If it happens I wouldnt be suprised if we see 8th Ave Line reroutes via 6th Avenue (Switching to its normal routes at West 4th) as its usually the practice if the Cranberry St tunnels are shut down for weekend GOs.

Yes true, theres the Rutgers Street tunnel. If it happens I wouldnt be suprised if we see 8th Ave Line reroutes via 6th Avenue (Switching to its normal routes at West 4th) as its usually the practice if the Cranberry St tunnels are shut down for weekend GOs.

Can you run all 3 services during the rush hour? I doubt it.Maybe cut the C and run the A local?

Can you run all 3 services during the rush hour? I doubt it.Maybe cut the C and run the A local?

The question is could you fit the (A) and the (F) in rutgers during the rush. I'd imagine they'd split the (C) into two sections, terminating s/b in manhattan at chambers and n/b in brooklyn at Jay st. 

I had a foamer moment wondering if they'd open the outer platforms at hoyt and turn the C there, relaying in the transit museum, but no, absolutely not, makes far far more sense to relay at Jay st. 

The question is could you fit the (A) and the (F) in rutgers during the rush. I'd imagine they'd split the (C) into two sections, terminating s/b in manhattan at chambers and n/b in brooklyn at Jay st.

I had a foamer moment wondering if they'd open the outer platforms at hoyt and turn the C there, relaying in the transit museum, but no, absolutely not, makes far far more sense to relay at Jay st.

I think it's more crazy to terminate C at Jay . How would they do that without interrupting service?

Before anyone starts drawing up the service patterns *coughWallyhorsecough*, has anyone heard anything about a full-time closure of the Cranberry tubes? Or any of the other tubes for that matter? From what I remember reading, the other tunnels should not require such extensive work like Montague did. Based on that, I believe we'll see more nightly and weekend service disruptions on the other tubes, especially with Cranberry and Rutgers, where they can close one tube in one direction on each and still maintain some semblance of normal weekend or late night service.

Before anyone starts drawing up the service patterns *coughWallyhorsecough*, has anyone heard anything about a full-time closure of the Cranberry tubes? Or any of the other tubes for that matter? From what I remember reading, the other tunnels should not require such extensive work like Montague did. Based on that, I believe we'll see more nightly and weekend service disruptions on the other tubes, especially with Cranberry and Rutgers, where they can close one tube in one direction on each and still maintain some semblance of normal weekend or late night service.

Well thats the thing, RTO division is not clear on that either from what I understand. So we are all waiting employee and straphangers alike for an answer from operations and the CCC. Not a 100% definite.

I'll be checking out the site on a regular basis to see what the MTA may reveal to the public. Myself I can say its safe to at least see plenty of weekend GOs, usual stuff. But I dont have all the insight into this and dont want it to appear that I do. Its just educated speculation on my part.

Based on the current schedule and loading guidelines, there's 18 (A) trains entering Fulton Center in the 8:00 hour in the morning (along with 8 (C) trains). Entering East Broadway, there's 12 (F) trains in the 8:00 hour in the morning. Combined both the (A) and (F) frequencies (that I've mention), that gives you 30 trains per hour. That will make Rutgers at capacity and cause massive delays at both Jay St-MetroTech, Broadway-Lafeyette and W 4 St-Washington Sq interlockings (with the weekday 6th Ave/53rd St/Queens Blvd Local (M)).

That's exactly why I'm completely against any proposals of shutting down the Manhattan-Brooklyn (A) and (F) tunnels, respectively. And the (C) is basically apart of the (A) route. It should always be cut whenever anything negative disrupts anywhere along the 8th Avenue/Fulton Street/Rockaway side of town. No need to spread those delays to the 6th Avenue Line (including the (F) route for that matter as well, because sending these so-called "every other" (F) 's via Crosstown is just uncalled for IMO, all they can do is just lower the headway so riders on that line have their regular service pattern).

Well back in Brooklyn now from school, took the R to 36th Street before boarding my train to the Sea Beach.

I still cant tell you if they did anything with the timers, but the train pretty much flies on the Brooklyn bound run. (Manhattan bound its the usual speed since I guess the T/O is moving on a downgrade and has to maintain proper speed because of the Nassau Street switches.) Because they used panels with plastic epoxy ties, regardless if you are on a SMEE or a NTT you feel like you are riding on air.

Its seems now to be an even mixed fleet of R160s and R46s at least on the rush hour commute. I think that for whatever reason the T/D is bunching up trains on even headways by fleet type. They did this on the C as well with that swap that I recall so there must had been some science to this.

The R46 I was on was PACKED by Whitehall Street on rush hour and the T/O nailed the S curves, cleared timers perfectly and maintained some damn good speed with the TSS also on board making notes on spreadsheets. 

Good to see my R train back together as one run from Manhattan to BK. People definitely need to fan this line ASAP thats all there is to it. 

Lastly its clear that the MTA succeeded in its reopening media campaign. The riders clearly knew what was happening and were just happy to get that one seat ride from Downtown Manhattan home.

The R46 I was on was PACKED by Whitehall Street on rush hour and the T/O nailed the S curves, cleared timers perfectly and maintained some damn good speed with the TSS also on board making notes on spreadsheets. 

Good to see my R train back together as one run from Manhattan to BK. People definitely need to fan this line ASAP thats all there is to it. 

Lastly its clear that the MTA succeeded in its reopening media campaign. The riders clearly knew what was happening and were just happy to get that one seat ride from Downtown Manhattan home.

You're joking?  :wacko:  :blink:

Yeah thats what we were all wondering last night, did they adjust the timers?

In the Montague Street tubes if Brooklyn bound?

I mean I didnt have a radar gun to check but the ride was distinctly different. And yeah again we are riding on epoxy ties for a smooth ride.

If they do shut down Cranberry Tunnel Manhattan A SB terminate at Chambers, Manhattan C SB to World Trade Center sharing with E platform, Brooklyn A terminate at Jay St, I don't know how Brooklyn C would work, or only A service in local stops which would be horrible seeing it local all the time

If they do shut down Cranberry Tunnel Manhattan A SB terminate at Chambers, Manhattan C SB to World Trade Center sharing with E platform, Brooklyn A terminate at Jay St, I don't know how Brooklyn C would work, or only A service in local stops which would be horrible seeing it local all the time

Yeah I'm sure the MTA is taking these points into consideration and may not go ahead with a full shutdown. The reason I am saying this is because there are no Fastracks scheduled at this time on the IND 8th Avenue Line. So most likely weekend GOs. The last one was in August.

There is however a new BMT Broadway Fastrack coming up in November.

Manhattan Bridge weekend GOs for the rest of the year I wouldn't rule out yet.

Archived