R train tunnel to reopen on Monday: New York Post

realizm

Is it not possible that whether or not the line was "mostly R46s" or "mostly R160s" depends on when the user in question traveled it? They could have bunched the types of trains together for whatever reason.

Agreed, it depends on the day, rider, and just what's available. I'm sure the yards would take an R160 over an R46, so I assume you'll have good luck finding one or two.

From those pictures, the tunnel looks a lot brighter than it used to be. Is that just a trick of the camera, or is it actually much brighter in there with new lighting?

Also, where did those (R) cookies come from?? THe (MTA) paid for them?

Its probably the many headlights from the track geometry car illuminating the tunnel ahead of it.

Its probably the many headlights from the track geometry car illuminating the tunnel ahead of it.

Yep, TGC has super bright lights, much brighter than regular subway cars, its quite cool to see in person.

Gotcha. I didn't realize the TGC had it's lights on. I've been temporarily blinded myself by the TGC a few times while on the platform. 

MTA Service Status

Delays  Posted: 09/16/2014  5:51PM

Due to a train with mechanical problems at DeKalb Av, northbound d.png, n.png, q.png and r.png trains are running with delays.

Allow additional travel time.

Service Change  Posted: 09/16/2014  4:49PM

Due to hanging cables at Whitehall St-South Ferry, northbound r.png trains are running on the q.png line from DeKalb Av to Canal St.

=======================================================================

Wow.. hanging cables?

Anyway, Joe Koreman updated his site to reflect a major change in the fleet assigned to the R, We should be expecting a full fleet of R46s on the R eventually: http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2014-09-15.html

It seemed resolved by 5:45pm when I rode home from Whitehall. 

And blech to the R46s. I thoroughly enjoyed all those R160s!!!

Yup thats what many of us are thinking, the R160s perform exceptionally well on the R, with faster acceleration also the 60' long carbodies which can allow the T/O to rip through the tight curves along the original BMT ROW. On top of that with more doors per car it dramatically reduces dwell time. Its too bad that they are reassigning car types like this. But I digress because the F must have high peformance R160 cars, so its a trade off.

I like R46s on the R, but I think it should have half R46/R160, I love R46s on the (R), I saw another one of the old codes with 71 av/continental av.

also, the old sign for G R V was uncovered at 71 Av, due to them taking off the newer sign, and I took pics a few days ago, not sure if it is still visible.

MTA Service Status

Delays  Posted: 09/16/2014  5:51PM

Due to a train with mechanical problems at DeKalb Av, northbound d.png, n.png, q.png and r.png trains are running with delays.

Service Change  Posted: 09/16/2014  4:49PM

Due to hanging cables at Whitehall St-South Ferry, northbound r.png trains are running on the q.png line from DeKalb Av to Canal St.

=======================================================================

Wow.. hanging cables?

Anyway, Joe Koreman updated his site to reflect a major change in the fleet assigned to the R, We should be expecting a full fleet of R46s on the R eventually: http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2014-09-15.html

Don't think that's quite correct as there are still R160's on the R?

I like R46s on the R, but I think it should have half R46/R160, I love R46s on the (R), I saw another one of the old codes with 71 av/continental av.

also, the old sign for G R V was uncovered at 71 Av, due to them taking off the newer sign, and I took pics a few days ago, not sure if it is still visible.

Word...I agree with you Union Tpke...I feel that they should keep at least 3-4 set of R160's on the  (R)

Don't think that's quite correct as there are still R160's on the R?

I'm not clear on why the site owner rewrote the roster sheets like that. It was updated as of this past Monday yet there is still a mixed fleet at least as of late last night when I came home from Manhattan. However I havent seen any R160s this morning on my commute, nothing but R46s even though many others who went out to specifically railfan might have run into them. (I dont have too much time to do the same today wished I did).

Strange indeed.

There have been a few R160s on the R every day this week.  The last one I saw left 34th St Manhattan (going towards Bay Ridge) at 9:46pm this evening.  The vast majority of the F trains I saw this week were R160s.

I saw one coming home that was about it. It does seem Jamaica is taking back all their R160 cars though. I see fewer R160s on the R with each day. Then again the car assignments have been so sporadic on the R since the tubes were still closed we should always expect surprises on the R.

Man if I see hippos on the line eventually I guess I shouldn't be shocked the way this is all going. But personally speaking in a way its cool to see the R46s back on the line. Never had any complaints about them, as long as it runs and has a good T/O at the controls. Their car performance is pretty good actually. I guess with good reason the F really needs to stay 100% R160s for very important reasons where it pertains to the Queens Bvld Line.

It's not about Jamaica taking "back" their 160's. Both the (F) and the (R) are based in Jamaica. (Though the southern half of the (R) did borrow from CI at times, and they have to make sure they don't take any of those cars).

Exactly why the MTA did the terminal swap with the N and R in 1987, and why the R serves Forest Hills and not Ditmars-Astoria.

Exactly why the MTA did the terminal swap with the N and R in 1987, and why the R serves Forest Hills and not Ditmars-Astoria.

I am not sure if you are saying you understand in bad grammar or if this is a question. Just in case it was because the N had access to two yards while the R had direct access to none.

Archived