R train tunnel to reopen on Monday: New York Post

realizm

Capture_zpsc2eb07e9.jpg

By Rebecca Harshbarger

September 11, 2014 | 11:32pm

The R train will start running to Lower Manhattan again on Monday from Brooklyn after a 13-month shutdown for Superstorm Sandy repairs, transit sources told The Post.

Service between Manhattan and Brooklyn was suspended last year to rebuild the tunnel after millions of gallons of salt water devastated the Montague tube during the hurricane in 2012.

Since then, the R train in Brooklyn has been ending on Court Street, rather than traveling to Manhattan and Queens.

Brooklynites in neighborhoods like Park Slope and Bay Ridge have since had to crowd onto other already-crowded lines like the C for months because of the repair work.

Normal R train service will begin early on Monday, about two weeks ahead of schedule, the sources said.

The MTA declined to comment.

Read more: Source

Interesting how Rebecca Harshbarger mentioned the (C) specifically as one of the already-crowded lines Park Slope riders have been crowding onto during the shutdown. 

Wonder if she's been reading Wallyhorse's posts on here and/or Subchat about rerouting the (C) to the Culver Line, lol.

But still no comment from the MTA about reopening Montague on Monday. That's interesting too.

Yeah there are some errors in the caption.

I'm wondering why the MTA site hasnt been updated either? Possibly they are performing final tests and something was discovered, but thats just a guess. In the photos section someone caught the track geometry train at Court Street so thats what I am thinking.

Interesting how Rebecca Harshbarger mentioned the (C) specifically as one of the already-crowded lines Park Slope riders have been crowding onto during the shutdown. 

Wonder if she's been reading Wallyhorse's posts on here and/or Subchat about rerouting the (C) to the Culver Line, lol.

But still no comment from the MTA about reopening Montague on Monday. That's interesting too.

LOL!!!

More like the usual shoddy journalism and NOT knowing the subway lines!

Yeah there are some errors in the caption.I'm wondering why the MTA site hasnt been updated either? Possibly they are performing final tests and something was discovered, but thats just a guess. In the photos section someone caught the track geometry train at Court Street so thats what I am thinking.

Yes I think the Post spoke to soon.

Seems NY1 is also annoucing the service restoration of R train service: http://www.ny1.com/content/news/215394/sources--montague-subway-tunnel-reopens-sunday/

We do have reporters who scan the transit Facebook groups as well as the Subchat and NYCTF. So this could be how the media are getting the leads, also by confirming it by interviewing MTA employees.

There is a conflict in the media on the actual day for reopening, which is the same problem that is happening in the railfanning community on the internet with the sources we have. Mere coincidence?

Now that I think about it, maybe the reason for the conflict in news reports are due to the fact that they are forgetting that the previous pattern late nights was the N via tunnel to Manhattan and Queens? Meaning that say if the tunnel was to open Sunday, then technically the N will be heading down the tubes first? The R to resume at rush hour from 95th Street or Forest Hills depending on which end of the line starts service first according to the timetables?

Trip Planner is showing the N as running through the tunnel starting Sunday night. So it may be that the MTA is doing a soft opening with the N running through and then having the "grand re-opening" with the R sometime on Monday.

But....... what? I thought that it was suppost to open on Oct.'

excuse me if i didnt read anything :/

Try the Trip Planner as Lance suggested in his breakthrough post. It shows that the N is going to Manhattan via the Montague Street Tunnel; as of Sunday night. R to go via the tunnel atv all times except late nights as of next week as seen here:

Capture_zps1ef1b333.png

As a recap the MTA is opening the Montague Street tunnel ahead of scedule. Most destination signs were changed to reflect this on the R. Various infrastructure tests were completed so its all green lights. Several media sources and now MTA sources from RTO Division personnel on this very site as well as Facebook, Subchat etc. all confirms this. No brainer, its official.

*Subject to change.

Sunday afternoon would be a good time for Cuomo to pose for photos with an ceremonial jackhammer.

He would be a lying two faced hypocrite if Cuomo did so because he started the downward trend by creating a multi million dollar deficit in the MTA causing massive budget cuts and elimitaion of subway and bus service straight across the board in the first place, only to take credit in the end for work he could really care less about? Just because this is his election year? What a scumbag!

Archived