LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

16 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Congrats. Good luck. 

Hey Dre thanks for all info up to this point. The lady on phone told me I will have to write an essay and look over some reading material. Any clue what kind of essay they want me to write and what reading material will it be?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/10/2023 at 5:00 PM, mnoer48 said:

Hey Dre thanks for all info up to this point. The lady on phone told me I will have to write an essay and look over some reading material. Any clue what kind of essay they want me to write and what reading material will it be?

The essay part is just a question on why do you want the job or why should we pick you. Something along those lines. I can’t remember the exact question. The reading material they will give it to you the day of your interview before they call you in. It’s pretty much the job description job related stuff. They’re going to ask questions on what you just read. 

On 1/10/2023 at 4:37 PM, Mnoer4883 said:

Just got the call. Interview Friday 10 AM

Just want to say congratulations Good Luck on your interview go get 'em !!!  I spoke to HR yesterday they said they're still going through all the people that passed and failed. 
I'm trying to be patient I feel like I did pretty good.  Keep track of those interview questions for me lmao. Good Luck Again ! Have a Good Day! 

On 1/9/2023 at 1:04 AM, drenyce311 said:

To answer your questions

1. yes we are short about 50-60 engineers. There’s always a class 10 guys graduating 2-3 time a year. Plus 15-25 guys retire every year. The crewbook for routes including GCT was released Sept 2022. The crewbook doesn’t go into effect until GCT does a full opening. They were supposed to open in Dec. didn’t happen. Too many kinks that they’re finalizing. There will be a shuttle service program (soft opening) before the new crewbook takes effect. But to as to when will it begin. We don’t know yet. 

2. It’s true. P1 and P2 make it seem like a cake walk. But don’t worry you will keep studying the signals and Definition for the next 16 months along side drawing, air brake, rules and regulations. Plus learning how to operate. In the most recent class, 1 trainee failed out the program. it’s not an easy program. Just be prepared to be mentally checked out with your families and warn them about not being involved in family time. This program does affect marriages and relationships. Kiss your social life’s goodbye for the next 2-4 years. 

Gotta go into that with an embrace the chaos mindset, everyone knows how great this job is and how serious is should be taken. I wouldn't want anyone but the best operating a locomotive that I'm on. Thank You for all the insight Dre, I had a little time frame in my mind thinking they were going to call me within a couple days similar to you but I guess my wait is longer, still feeling pretty positive about the test but I'll wait and see it is, it's going on 5 days now. Nevertheless thank you again, hopefully I'll have some great news to share soon. Have a Blessed Day.

Hi! Has anyone here attended the Locomotive Engineer recruitment event first and then also get invited to the Assistant Conductor recruitment event?

Just received the email for the invite yesterday and I was wondering if they let you attend and also make you take the aptitude again? The email says disregard if I attended the Locomotive Engineer recruitment event but I still want to be a contender for this position as well. So not listening to that. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, NH90 said:

Hi! Has anyone here attended the Locomotive Engineer recruitment event first and then also get invited to the Assistant Conductor recruitment event?

Just received the email for the invite yesterday and I was wondering if they let you attend and also make you take the aptitude again? The email says disregard if I attended the Locomotive Engineer recruitment event but I still want to be a contender for this position as well. So not listening to that. Thanks!

You have the read the emails more carefully, it says if you attended the SnD overview. meaning you got the test materials. If you went to the overview and passed the cognitive and didn't get selected, yes you can move to the other position 

Just got out of interview. Hope I did well, think I could have answered a few questions better but all in all I think I'll be okay. They didn't seem like many people passed the last S&D test as only I and someone from a December test was there. Wishing for the best, if not I still am currently at a great job. The hardest part of interview is knowing whether or not there's a right answer to the questions they ask. Good luck to all on their endeavors and journey.

33 minutes ago, mnoer48 said:

Just got out of interview. Hope I did well, think I could have answered a few questions better but all in all I think I'll be okay. They didn't seem like many people passed the last S&D test as only I and someone from a December test was there. Wishing for the best, if not I still am currently at a great job. The hardest part of interview is knowing whether or not there's a right answer to the questions they ask. Good luck to all on their endeavors and journey.

What were some of the questions they asked ?

35 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

What were some of the questions they asked ?

If you go back and look for post#734 on this forum he gives you most of them. Safety scenario question I got was what would you do if you got stuck in snow between stations. Didn't know if their was an actual right answer. I told them just keep in contact with crew members and supervisor staff on protocol and make sure passengers are safe.

Like I said I think I did well on panel. But I think I could have answered a few questions stronger. Hoping my test scores outweigh some of the questions asked on panel interview. I am almost positive I scored the highest on last S&D test cause they called me 2 days after and we're trying to get me in for a Wednesday interview. Fingers crossed it's in god's hands now. Good luck Linky OG the call will come soon I'm sure.

4 hours ago, LinkyOG said:

You have the read the emails more carefully, it says if you attended the SnD overview. meaning you got the test materials. If you went to the overview and passed the cognitive and didn't get selected, yes you can move to the other position 

You’re right the way I had my browser open it cut off the S&D portion of it. Perfecttttt!

5 hours ago, mnoer48 said:

Like I said I think I did well on panel. But I think I could have answered a few questions stronger. Hoping my test scores outweigh some of the questions asked on panel interview. I am almost positive I scored the highest on last S&D test cause they called me 2 days after and we're trying to get me in for a Wednesday interview. Fingers crossed it's in god's hands now. Good luck Linky OG the call will come soon I'm sure.

Got that call !!!! Different from yours tho Phase 1 starts next week Wednesday and they'll conduct the interview and physical while I'm already in phase one !!! Let's go Y'all. See Y'all Wednesday !!!

1 hour ago, mnoer48 said:

They prolly passed up on me then. Good luck with everything.

Nah bro I def don't think they passed on you probably waiting to give you more info. I still have to wait to get scheduled to get my 5 panel interview. I feel like everyone there is just working hard to get people in and give them info on the upcoming class. Keep your schedule open, I 1000% don't think they passed on you 

9 hours ago, Djf22 said:

Would they have more than one phase 1 class going at a time my signal test is this Sunday ?

My boy is taking the test on Sunday as well, I think it's one class at a time though. HR Told me that they're working through the holiday weekend as well so they could be letting people know if they passed soon, it took them 5 days with me. I feel like that time frame is super tight though. Study study study man this is your last day, keep reviewing and Good Luck. 

23 hours ago, NH90 said:

If you got an invite to the AC Overview. Yes you will have to take the cognitive test again plus an extra test on math. I would take both. Just in case one doesn’t call. At least you’re in the pool for another. Usually there’s a disclaimer that if you already applied to another position to don’t apply for another. But why not. You never know. 

10 hours ago, Djf22 said:

Would they have more than one phase 1 class going at a time my signal test is this Sunday ?

No. There are only 4 instructors. The next instructor available his class graduates in March. He’ll be available for the phase 2 guys in March or April So the following Phase 1 class would probably be starting End of March early April. (Next class to graduate after March is in July). They usually call 12 applicants. In the past they would call 16-18 applicants and the 12 highest scores move on to phase 2.  

Edited by drenyce311

Well, I got the "Dear Candidate, thank  you for taking the time...." email that usually isn't even worth reading past that sentence if the word "congratulations " or some such isn't in there.  At least I didn't have to wait months longer for it but this really hurts man, my last actual chance was in literally in 2008, don't know if I can wait another whole year at this point since I'm not getting any younger at over age 50.

Congratulations though to those who are going into the next steps, the rewards are well worth the hard work once you get that Class I certification 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

45 minutes ago, Red5Xwing said:

Well, I got the "Dear Candidate, thank  you for taking the time...." email that usually isn't even worth reading past that sentence if the word "congratulations " or some such isn't in there.  At least I didn't have to wait months longer for it but this really hurts man, my last actual chance was in literally in 2008, don't know if I can wait another whole year at this point since I'm not getting any younger at over age 50.

Congratulations though to those who are going into the next steps, the rewards are well worth the hard work once you get that Class I certification 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

Sorry to hear that man did they say why?

18 minutes ago, Djf22 said:

Sorry to hear that man did they say why?

Hey, and thanks! The reason was, "we have determined that our needs can best be met with another candidate." Other than that I guess I didn't sell myself as well on the "exploratory interview" part but who really knows.  

2 minutes ago, Red5Xwing said:

Hey, and thanks! The reason was, "we have determined that our needs can best be met with another candidate." Other than that I guess I didn't sell myself as well on the "exploratory interview" part but who really knows.  

So you passed the signal test and they passed on you? That’s crazy