LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, mnoer48 said:

Good luck to all that took S&D test today. Felt confident and pretty sure I passed with a high score. Now time to wait for results.

Good luck.  How many people showed up? I just heard that the last test  40 invited. Only 10 showed up. 3 of them passed. 

20 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Good luck.  How many people showed up? I just heard that the last test  40 invited. Only 10 showed up. 3 of them passed. 

There were 36 people out of the 75 that went to the overview. 2 people got up and left in middle of test so 34 actually got scored

Just came back home from the SnD feeling super good. I was aiming for 100 tbh I didn't meet my expectations stumbled on one of two definitions but overall I feel great man. A lot of people were dropping like flies and you could tell a lot of people weren't doing well because they were running out the classroom.  The instructors started grading people's tests someone wrote " Sorry for wasting your time" LMAO really not trying to speak too soon but  I'll just say, it's a beautiful feeling when preparation meets opportunity. Happy New Year btw

2 hours ago, LinkyOG said:

Just came back home from the SnD feeling super good. I was aiming for 100 tbh I didn't meet my expectations stumbled on one of two definitions but overall I feel great man. A lot of people were dropping like flies and you could tell a lot of people weren't doing well because they were running out the classroom.  The instructors started grading people's tests someone wrote " Sorry for wasting your time" LMAO really not trying to speak too soon but  I'll just say, it's a beautiful feeling when preparation meets opportunity. Happy New Year btw

Did they mention when they would be emailing results?

49 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

I mean how many showed up for the test today? 

The instructor said there was actually 40+ odd people, we had to split the class in two rooms 

53 minutes ago, mnoer48 said:

Did they mention when they would be emailing results?

They said anytime from 4 days to a couple weeks I guess to let you know if you passed and to set up the panel interview. An engineer instructor in the hallway was saying that they are trying to set up a class either in late January or mid February and that they might be under a little pressure because they just released a "crew book" for Grand Central Madison and they are super short on Engineers. I'm not sure what any of this means Dre can probably provide some insight. 

Preparing for the SnD was pretty tough but I've heard phase 1 and 2 make it look like a piece of cake and we'll wish we could go back to just studying some signals and definitions. Not trynna get ahead of myself but What was your experience like Dre ?

2 hours ago, LinkyOG said:

The instructor said there was actually 40+ odd people, we had to split the class in two rooms 

They said anytime from 4 days to a couple weeks I guess to let you know if you passed and to set up the panel interview. An engineer instructor in the hallway was saying that they are trying to set up a class either in late January or mid February and that they might be under a little pressure because they just released a "crew book" for Grand Central Madison and they are super short on Engineers. I'm not sure what any of this means Dre can probably provide some insight. 

Preparing for the SnD was pretty tough but I've heard phase 1 and 2 make it look like a piece of cake and we'll wish we could go back to just studying some signals and definitions. Not trynna get ahead of myself but What was your experience like Dre ?

Oh so the panel interview comes next what kind of questions would they ask operational? Or personality questions?

6 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

Your guess is as good as mine lol I have no clue I'm going through the process as well

Can’t see how they could ask to many operational questions as you don’t have much to base the answer on unless that’s what they’re trying to gauge.

8 hours ago, LinkyOG said:

To answer your questions

1. yes we are short about 50-60 engineers. There’s always a class 10 guys graduating 2-3 time a year. Plus 15-25 guys retire every year. The crewbook for routes including GCT was released Sept 2022. The crewbook doesn’t go into effect until GCT does a full opening. They were supposed to open in Dec. didn’t happen. Too many kinks that they’re finalizing. There will be a shuttle service program (soft opening) before the new crewbook takes effect. But to as to when will it begin. We don’t know yet. 

2. It’s true. P1 and P2 make it seem like a cake walk. But don’t worry you will keep studying the signals and Definition for the next 16 months along side drawing, air brake, rules and regulations. Plus learning how to operate. In the most recent class, 1 trainee failed out the program. it’s not an easy program. Just be prepared to be mentally checked out with your families and warn them about not being involved in family time. This program does affect marriages and relationships. Kiss your social life’s goodbye for the next 2-4 years. 

Edited by drenyce311

6 hours ago, Djf22 said:

Can’t see how they could ask to many operational questions as you don’t have much to base the answer on unless that’s what they’re trying to gauge.

Yes they do ask operational questions. The “What would you do” scenarios along with the common interview questions.  

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

They start at $35 and work their way up to top pay $50/hr though whereas LIRR starts at $27 and max is $45/hr after 4 yrs. 

MNRR top pay is 50.21 at 7th year. 
LIRR starting is $30 now and top pay is 49.91 at the beginning of your 4th year. 

44 minutes ago, Djf22 said:

49.91 is the top rate for this current contract or this year?

We didn’t have a contract for the last 3.5 years. We just ratified December 2022. We’re just waiting on the new rate to kick in for the remainder of the contract which expires April 2023. 

15 hours ago, Djf22 said:

Ok that’s not so bad but in the beginning I’m sure it must’ve been rough if he got an update start location 

When he started he lived in the Bronx to be closer to upstate. Then he moved back to queens with his wife. He brought his house in East Meadow 7 years ago.