New Rail Sound at 46 Street & Sutphin Blvd

4P3607

I recently took a few videos at 46 Street and Sutphin Blvd with the New Rail Sound. This "sound" is made from tiny grooves in the rail. This is done by a rail grinder and is part of an on-going project to reduce wheel slip on rails.

Here's a photo of the rail:

IMG_3161_zpsd791f2e1.jpg

Notice the grooves in the rail. These grooves wear away after a while which is why the sound diminishes as time goes by.

Here are some videos. IMO it sounds sick:

46 Street on the (M)(R) :

(0:45 is the best part)

Sutphin Blvd on the (F) :

So what do you guys think? I think it sounds awesome. So far they haven't done any rail between Roosevelt Avenue and Forest Hills, but most of the rail between 36 Street and 65 Street has it. 

Hope you enjoyed!

I recently took a few videos at 46 Street and Sutphin Blvd with the New Rail Sound. This "sound" is made from tiny grooves in the rail. This is done by a rail grinder and is part of an on-going project to reduce wheel slip on rails.

Here's a photo of the rail:

IMG_3161_zpsd791f2e1.jpg

Notice the grooves in the rail. These grooves wear away after a while which is why the sound diminishes as time goes by.

Here are some videos. IMO it sounds sick:

46 Street on the (M)(R) :

(0:45 is the best part)

Sutphin Blvd on the (F) :

So what do you guys think? I think it sounds awesome. So far they haven't done any rail between Roosevelt Avenue and Forest Hills, but most of the rail between 36 Street and 65 Street has it. 

Hope you enjoyed!

I notice the sounds too. I didn't know they had put new rails in. I was wondering what was that strange sound when I leave the train. Hey, don't forget about Parsons Blvd.

• 2 months later...

Archived