Metro North to Astoria?

RhythmNBlues

I take it you don't live in Astoria or Queens for that matter.

It's an important need for ALL of the Queens residents. 

Needs to happen. Make it happen.

Do you know what a worker for Steve Jobs was told when he had a 24 hour deadline to make something impossible happen? This worker needed to make a prototype for 5 items, in preparation for an upcoming presentation. He was able to create 4 of the 5 and told Jobs that this was just physically impossible. Jobs replied, "It's important. Let's get it done." That was the Apple Ipod which changed the world.

Dude stop your embarrassing yourself. This isn't Sim city. You give the new meaning to pipe dream. I live on the borderline of Elmhurst and Astoria all my life. I never heard not one single gripe about a train that goes to the Bronx or Westchester. We are not talking about leisure items like Apple products. This is tax payers money.

1.Right.

As if our hard earned taxes are spent properly already.

Some people have some nerve.... :rolleyes:

2. Astoria needs the train line there.

3. Don't give me the elevation garbage. Just build a new elevator and two-level staircase! All these silly things you call a "problem". Or, maybe you work for the MTA?

1. You would only make it worse

2.Oh yeah, prove it... 

3. Well you know what, I am going to give you the elevation garbage. Money doesn't magically appear, and the way most structures are placed, it's next to impossible.

Right.

As if our hard earned taxes are spent properly already.

Some people have some nerve.... :rolleyes:

Astoria needs the train line there. Don't give me the elevation garbage. Just build a new elevator and two-level staircase! All these silly things you call a "problem". Or, maybe you work for the MTA?

"Hey guys, our money is spent improperly, so the solution is spend more money that we don't have!"

And where exactly would you place this new elevator and staircase? The sidewalk is not wide enough, and the way you'd have to build the station to avoid messing up future track expansion, you'd need two sets of elevators and two sets of staircases. You can't use the existing subway station at Ditmars because Metro-North has a different fare system entirely, so you'd need to separate the passengers unless you want Metro-North travelers paying Metrocard fare as well.

I don't work for the MTA. I do, however, have my feet planted firmly on the ground in reality.

1 out of 10. 

Go ask 1 out of 10 New Yorkers and see how important it is then...

Do you really think that people in Astoria wouldn't love to have a metro north, rather than travelling to Grand Central Station.

Can't tell me it's because people there don't work in Westchester or Connecticut. Folks don't want to drive that far, but I bet they would sure as hell take the train. If it's not relevant, then it's worth a try, right?

Would they love to have it? Sure. But given the long, long bucket list of things this city needs, I would imagine it would be very low on the "we need to fund this ASAP" list.

It would be nice to have an Astoria Metro-North station. It would also be very nice to give everyone in this city a Ferrari and a chauffeur. We can't build things with a wave of the hand just because they would be "nice to have."

I take it you don't live in Astoria or Queens for that matter.

It's an important need for ALL of the Queens residents. 

Needs to happen. Make it happen.

Do you know what a worker for Steve Jobs was told when he had a 24 hour deadline to make something impossible happen? This worker needed to make a prototype for 5 items, in preparation for an upcoming presentation. He was able to create 4 of the 5 and told Jobs that this was just physically impossible. Jobs replied, "It's important. Let's get it done." That was the Apple Ipod which changed the world.

For ALL Queens residents? I didn't know Metro North was coming to my neck of the woods, which is Jamaica/South Richmond Hill! <_<

It doesn't need to happen and it won't happen for several reasons. People in that area have not said anything about wanting any kind of Railroad service, but they want better Subway service. Folks out there would rather have Astoria Express service than railroad service. Also, how exactly are you going to make a station along one of the highest bridges in the city?

Most of the folks that commute between Queens & The Bronx-Westchester commute either by bus(Q44 or Q50) or car. Folks that need Metro North travel into Manhattan to get it.

Also, an Astoria station was planned years ago, but it was deemed too expensive and it would only serve a low amount of riders, which is true, because folks out there hasn't said a word about wanting MNRR service EXCEPT for ONE person that lives all the way up in Whitestone!

It's not going to happen.

1 out of 10. 

Go ask 1 out of 10 New Yorkers and see how important it is then...

Do you really think that people in Astoria wouldn't love to have a metro north, rather than travelling to Grand Central Station.

Can't tell me it's because people there don't work in Westchester or Connecticut. Folks don't want to drive that far, but I bet they would sure as hell take the train. If it's not relevant, then it's worth a try, right?

That's not true.

Actually one of my friend who works at Metropolitan Museum of Art comes all the way from Bridgeport, CT and sometime he parks his car near 125th St station to take subway to museum.

Also there was my former High School for Environmental Study teacher who drives all the from Pennsylvia.

And you act as though it's a pleasure to have to travel an hour..sometimes, an hour and a half for folks just to get to Grand Central Station. You're not the only in Jamaica who needs to get to Westchester on a regular basis. Believe me, I've known folks out there who have taken it regularly FROM Grand Central and say they would do anything to have be closer to them. Your argument makes no sense. Just because people have done things a certain way for a long time, doesn't mean it's for the greater good and needs to stay that way. Can't have your cake and eat it too. 

Let's say, improbably, that this station costs $100M to build (because a station like this will need a separate headhouse, which will require eminent domain, a new structure that can support platforms because the Hell Gate is not wide enough, is being built over an active set of subway tracks and a commercial corridor, and you'd need to buy property to widen the ROW to actually accommodate platforms). 

This $100M has a giant opportunity cost. Renovating 5 stations in Ozone Park, top to bottom, costs only $39M. CBTC on Queens Blvd is $500M. That $100M could probably go towards North Shore BRT, or plugging in the hole in the Capital Budget which is already ridiculously underfunded, or a great variety of other things, all which benefit more people than any sort of hypothetical Astoria station would. So why should we spend that money on that Astoria station, when the demand for it is extremely unclear and it would be difficult to build?

And you act as though it's a pleasure to have to travel an hour..sometimes, an hour and a half for folks just to get to Grand Central Station. You're not the only in Jamaica who needs to get to Westchester on a regular basis. Believe me, I've known folks out there who have taken it regularly FROM Grand Central and say they would do anything to have be closer to them. Your argument makes no sense. Just because people have done things a certain way for a long time, doesn't mean it's for the greater good and needs to stay that way. Can't have your cake and eat it too. 

That's where you're wrong. My commute to Grand Central(that's if I choose to go there) is no longer than 30-40 minutes really. And I never said anything about going to Westchester on a weekly basis.

First and foremost, you clearly didn't read what I said properly. There's a difference between things being the way they are and people not wanting the alternative, which is the thing here. What YOU want and what THEY want are two completely different things. You're speaking on behalf of people you clearly do not know.

What's needed more in the borough of Queens is much better rail service, especially for underserved areas and areas that have unreliable subway service. I don't know about you, but folks in MY area have been pitching for rail service along the Rockaway ROW as an alternative to the (A)....not no bloody service to The Bronx and/or Westchester!

Here's the reality of it all, since you seem to know how my commute works.

A trip from Jamaica to Astoria via the E, 7 and N is just about as much time as it would take for me to get to Grand Central just by taking the E and the 6. From my neck of the woods to Grand Central via the E and the 6 is roughly 35 minutes, that's about the same time as it is for me to have all of those unnecessary transfers on the E, 7 and N just to get to Astoria. If I don't take the Subway, I take the LIRR on the Penn Station Express or the Woodside/Penn Station trains. I save more time with that.

So what difference does it make having to go from my neck of the woods to Astoria than it would going to Grand Central? Want to know why most people go to Grand Central from Queens? Not only because it's a guaranteed connection, but to also get a seat, because those trains get CROWDED! It wouldn't make any sense for folks in the area that I live in and deeper into Queens to go all the way to Astoria just to catch Metro-North along with the fact that all of that commuting makes for unnecessary transfers. Also, even if this station opened, not every train would stop there. It'd likely be operated like stations that stop there every half-hour to an hour.

Furthermore, you went from pitching for Astoria residents to all of Queens...when the fact is that most Queens residents commuting to Westchester actually drive there, while others take the bus which is a fact that you keep negating for some odd reason. You keep flip-flopping your entire argument which is making it very bad overall. Just because YOU want things to happen doesn't mean THEY want things to happen too. Trust me, I live in an area where they've been fighting for better rail service overall and I hear things, if they wanted Bronx/Westchester service, I'd agree with you, but the priority for the folks in my area, especially with all of the meetings I've been to is alternate rail service along the Rockaway ROW, better (A) service and better (E)/(F) train service

Your entire argument and post made no sense at all, especially since you haven't put much thought on how most people commute and how you speak for a whole borough of people you clearly do not know.

Clearly, some people have too much time on their hands. It means so much to you that you need to clearly become as defensive as you are.

But, hey...different folks, same strokes.

You're heavily reliant on cliché, and have little to offer in the way of defendable reasoning. I wouldn't be surprised if you're that Fadil moron who "community organizes" by way of pointless internet petitions.

Clearly, some people have too much time on their hands. It means so much to you that you need to clearly become as defensive as you are.

But, hey...different folks, same strokes.

You just proved how horrible you are at presenting any kind of argument. And it's not "being defensive", it's called knowing your stuff. I provided to you a legitimate argument and this is what you come up with.....

Hell, if you want, I'll personally go around in my area asking folks what they think of MNRR service in Queens just to make you happy. Pretty sure they won't give two shits about it anyway.

It's not my fault you can't come up with a counter-arguement, instead, you choose to insult me in "incognito" if you will. It's pitiful if you ask me, but it is what it is I suppose.

This was an excellent response which was subsequently ignored by some negative posters.

Quite a shame...

Definitely proves that the Astoria Metro North station would be a win-win for the MTA and its riders!!!

Now you're just bumping the thread for no apparent reason.

Topic locked.

Archived