It's as bad as it gets: Resorting to get to Manhattan by way of Staten Island from Brooklyn

46Dover

Saturday was the worst day of traveling for 4 Avenue/Bay Ridge folks on Saturday with (D) and (N) trains running local in both directions. After visiting friends in Bay Ridge, I decided to take the S79SBS to Staten Island, then transfer immediately to the X1 or the X10. It would've been good had it not been for the traffic at the *ahem* Hugh Carey Tunnel. But to me, it would be discouraging to a Bay Ridge rider that when you have more frequent service with the (D) and (N) more than you have the (R) (and you did a travel experiment like I did just to get to Manhattan)

Wasn't there a bus alternative you could of taken farther up north just to get a (D) or (N) , I felt what you did was a complete waste of time and probably could of been faster if you just took a bus up or something.

86 Street and 4th Ave is the worst place you can go to get to Manhattan with the (R), especially for a GO. I could've used the B63 to go north, but I felt With all the subways running local, it was worth a try. The X10 came to Fingerboard Road shortly after I got off anyway, they seem pretty frequent for a Saturday especially for the time I caught it (7:00-8:00pm).

I really don't think it was a waste, just as long as you time your connections right.

That actually is not a bad idea if you happened to live within the s79 SBS service range and are in a rush to get in to Manhattan (again if you time it out well and there is no traffic).

I actually went to Bay Ridge via s79 SBS from ETC and took the (R) to Jay Street Metrotech and took the (A) to High Street at about that time to check out the Saturday evening disappointment in DUMBO known as the NY Festival of Light. The travel time was not particularly bad or anything.

You could have walked over to 86th & Gatling Pl  (2-3 streets from the (R) station) and caught the x17 to Manhattan, the last run hits that stop between 19:30 - 20:00 possibly later if there is traffic to the VNB on Saturdays/Sundays.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x017cur.pdf

That actually is not a bad idea if you happened to live within the s79 SBS service range and are in a rush to get in to Manhattan (again if you time it out well and there is no traffic).

I actually went to Bay Ridge via s79 SBS from ETC and took the (R) to Jay Street Metrotech and took the (A) to High Street at about that time to check out the Saturday evening disappointment in DUMBO known as the NY Festival of Light. The travel time was not particularly bad or anything.

You could have walked over to 86th & Gatling Pl  (2-3 streets from the (R) station) and caught the x17 to Manhattan, the last run hits that stop between 19:30 - 20:00 possibly later if there is traffic to the VNB on Saturdays/Sundays.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x017cur.pdf

See, that's what I wasn't too sure about. I knew about the 17 stopping in Bay Ridge, just didn't know what time and what day it does stop

I actually was trying to get to Port Authority and when I looked at the map when I rode the 10, I saw that the X1 actually goes up 6 Ave which would've put me closer to the Port as opposed to walking all the way across from Madison from the X10

See, that's what I wasn't too sure about. I knew about the 17 stopping in Bay Ridge, just didn't know what time and what day it does stop

I actually was trying to get to Port Authority and when I looked at the map when I rode the 10, I saw that the X1 actually goes up 6 Ave which would've put me closer to the Port as opposed to walking all the way across from Madison from the X10

When I had to go into NJ for work on the weekends I always used the x17 to W4 (A)(C)(E) . Something usually came in 5-10 minutes.

When I had to go into NJ for work on the weekends I always used the x17 to W4 (A)(C)(E) . Something usually came in 5-10 minutes.

I found another benefit for riding express buses into the city is you can use your cellular Internet service as opposed to the subway (for now, of course)

Saturday was the worst day of traveling for 4 Avenue/Bay Ridge folks on Saturday with (D) and (N) trains running local in both directions. After visiting friends in Bay Ridge, I decided to take the S79SBS to Staten Island, then transfer immediately to the X1 or the X10. It would've been good had it not been for the traffic at the *ahem* Hugh Carey Tunnel. But to me, it would be discouraging to a Bay Ridge rider that when you have more frequent service with the (D) and (N) more than you have the (R) (and you did a travel experiment like I did just to get to Manhattan)

If I can't get the last X27 from Bay Ridge, I simply backtrack into Staten Island via the S79SBS, and catch the X1.  They're pretty frequent and I can track them using BusTime so that I get a good seat and don't have a long wait. As for the Battery Tunnel, it was pretty bad on Saturday.  My X27 was almost an hour late going to the city.  I originally thought I had missed it, and that it just wasn't on Bus Time, but then I realized that it would have to have arrived early and not be on BusTime, and that just didn't seem possible given how far south I was along Shore Road.  The weird part was the B/O claiming that he wasn't late when someone asked him.  I suppose he thought he was somehow the 19:00 bus....  <_<

If I can't get the last X27 from Bay Ridge, I simply backtrack into Staten Island via the S79SBS, and catch the X1. They're pretty frequent and I can track them using BusTime so that I get a good seat and don't have a long wait. As for the Battery Tunnel, it was pretty bad on Saturday. My X27 was almost an hour late going to the city. I originally thought I had missed it, and that it just wasn't on Bus Time, but then I realized that it would have to have arrived early and not be on BusTime, and that just didn't seem possible given how far south I was along Shore Road. The weird part was the B/O claiming that he wasn't late when someone asked him. I suppose he thought he was somehow the 19:00 bus.... <_<

Then there could've been a chance for us to meet up if you took the S79 lol

The other thing about the bus ride across the bridge to SI, I looked at one guy and he looked at me in the same way like, where have I seen you before? Then I remembered his girlfriend next to him and I was like, RIIIIIGHT, we waited for an (R) train at 59 Street while all sorts of (D) and (N) trains were showing up earlier that afternoon -_-. Like I said: as bad as it gets

Then there could've been a chance for us to meet up if you took the S79 lol

The other thing about the bus ride across the bridge to SI, I looked at one guy and he looked at me in the same way like, where have I seen you before? Then I remembered his girlfriend next to him and I was like, RIIIIIGHT, we waited for an (R) train at 59 Street while all sorts of (D) and (N) trains were showing up earlier that afternoon -_-. Like I said: as bad as it gets

lol.... The only thing with that setup is that I would never catch the X1 at Fingerboard.  The bus is packed by then, so I would take the S79 down by New Dorp if not further if no buses are due, this way I can get a seat to myself in peace in the back.

lol.... The only thing with that setup is that I would never catch the X1 at Fingerboard.  The bus is packed by then, so I would take the S79 down by New Dorp if not further if no buses are due, this way I can get a seat to myself in peace in the back.

Is it packed that much at that time? The X10 had just a handful of folks on board when I got on, it was relatively quiet

Is it packed that much at that time? The X10 had just a handful of folks on board when I got on, it was relatively quiet

The X10 can get pretty crowded too at that hour as well, but with the X17 service being expanded, that has helped to deal with some of the over spill from folks along Richmond Avenue. 

Archived