Mount Eden Avenue having a bus line?

ConcourseExp

I am sure many people who live near Mount Eden Aveune are going to agree with me, but why can't it a have a bus line because it is a big road and many people could take it from Manhattan or River Park Towers into the businesses here?

I am sure many people who live near Mount Eden Aveune are going to agree with me, but why can't it a have a bus line because it is a big road and many people could take it from Manhattan or River Park Towers into the businesses here?

Maybe a rerouted or extended Bx18 — at the very least, I'd send it up the Concourse or Morris Avenue to Bronx-Lebanon Hospital.

When did I say otherwise? Have you been to Morris Heights?

Yes, that's where I was born, raised for a while, and still go to over the years on frequent occasions (whilst using the Bx18)

You're implicating that this route would have very little ridership (less than the Bx46), given it's route length. You're comparing this route to the demand the Bx18 gets, which leads me to believe that you're saying that the Bx18 has low ridership, or that this route would get as much demand as the Bx18 (perhaps even less really mean it's a possibility). Neither is true, and people do underestimate the ridership of the Bx18. If I've never been to Morris Heights, I wouldn't be saying anything, but that's just me.

Every major corridor can't have a bus line running along it....

The Bx18 gets more riders than you would think.

His comment was a testament to how many ppl. would use buses along Mt. Eden, not how many people utilize the Bx18.....

You're implicating that this route would have very little ridership (less than the Bx46), given it's route length. You're comparing this route to the demand the Bx18 gets, which leads me to believe that you're saying that the Bx18 has low ridership, or that this route would get as much demand as the Bx18 (maybe even less really mean it's a possibility). Neither is true, and people do underestimate the ridership of the Bx18. If I've never been to Morris Heights, I wouldn't be saying anything, but that's just me.

That's how you erroneously took it.... Your whole premise is going off this single notion.

Every major corridor can't have a bus line running along it....

His comment was a testament to how many ppl. would use buses along Mt. Eden, not how many people utilize the Bx18.....

That's how you erroneously took it.... Your whole premise is going off this single notion.

Okay then, if it was rather a statement, why is he making a comparison (as much demand as) to the 18?

Okay then, if it was rather a statement, why is he making a comparison (as much demand as) to the 18?

So he can't mention the Bx18 without you assuming he's referring to low ridership?

You went out your way to point out that people do underestimate the ridership of the Bx18.....

To sum it up, the Bx18 isn't synonymous with low ridership....

I can talk about the Bx18 without mentioning its ridership levels whatsoever.....

So he can't mention the Bx18 without you assuming he's referring to low ridership?

You do have a point on that. However, that brings me to the other point I mentioned in the first post of mine: it just won't have the same amount of ridership as the Bx18. In no way running on Mount Eden by itself, will the route garner the same amount of riders the Bx18 gets, I just don't see it.

You do have a point on that.

However, that brings me to the other point I mentioned in the first post of mine: it just won't have the same amount of ridership as the Bx18. In no way running on Mount Eden by itself, will the route garner the same amount of riders the Bx18 gets, I just don't see it.

He said demand.....

If Mt. Eden alone could garner near 2k riders, the MTA would be missing out on one hell of an opportunity!

He said demand.....

If Mt. Eden alone could garner near 2k riders, the MTA would be missing out on one hell of an opportunity!

That is true.

Realistically speaking though, I don't think there would be 2,000 riders from points East of Grand Concourse seeking the (B)(D)(4), and vice versa. I'm not one to shoot down ideas, but if there really was that much demand, it would've been heard of at least once. Not saying there's absolutely no demand, I know that's not true. You have the Bronx- Lebanon Hospital, which could be a base. However, unless one is really lazy, the bus shows up, or is physically not able to , they'll walk there, or somehow get to the (D) , if they're coming from points south. The B74 is a pretty short route, and passes through many housing complexes along the way. Now, this route could get 2K a day, if there was somehow a major complex around. It would probably get ridership from certain areas, but the demand isn't as high as say the Bx18, IMO. (I just don't see it either.)

It could gain that much, but given as it is now, I don't think so. I think many will just walk to the nearest subway and transfer, unless it's someone in the east wishing the (4), or someone from the west wishing the (D).

That is true.

Realistically speaking though, I don't think there would be 2,000 riders from points East of Grand Concourse seeking the (B)(D)(4), and vice versa. I'm not one to shoot down ideas, but if there really was that much demand, it would've been heard of at least once. Not saying there's absolutely no demand, I know that's not true. You have the Bronx- Lebanon Hospital, which could be a base. However, unless one is really lazy, the bus shows up, or is physically not able to , they'll walk there, or somehow get to the (D) , if they're coming from points south. The B74 is a pretty short route, and passes through many housing complexes along the way. Now, this route could get 2K a day, if there was somehow a major complex around. It would probably get ridership from certain areas, but the demand isn't as high as say the Bx18, IMO. (I just don't see it either.)

It could gain that much, but given as it is now, I don't think so. I think many will just walk to the nearest subway and transfer, unless it's someone in the east wishing the (4), or someone from the west wishing the (D).

I got your point....

I'm not the one siding with this idea of putting buses on Mt. Eden, so AFAIC, you're preaching to the choir... I only brought up that 2k stat b/c that's about how many riders the Bx18 garners....

The first time I saw this thread (when Q43LTD's & Baseball02's replies were the only ones present), I said to myself, best case scenario, the 32 could be diverted to serve that small commercial portion of Mt. Eden, to then run up Jerome from there.... Then I come back to this thread & there's all this Bx18 talk......

Mount Eden Avenue (including Mount Eden Parkway, the eastern second half) is an extremely short street (just over half a mile long), with its east end well before Webster Avenue. If anything, maybe the Bx18, as others have said, should be extended to Bronx Lebanon Hospital, looping around on Mount Eden Parkway.

The reason why the Bx18 and Bx32 are as they are is so that each can connect to the Concourse subway...a reroute of the Bx18 or Bx32 via Mount Eden Avenue would sever that connection. Also, there is a major change in elevation north of Mount Eden Parkway that gives the Bx32 a unique market just north of that street (as well as south of it to 170 Street).

• 3 weeks later...

The question to this is that if this were really happening, where would the bus terminate? I say Weeks Avenue and Mount Eden Avenue.

If we use the Bx18 for Mount Eden, there could be two options...

(1) Extend from 170th/Concourse via 170th, Morris Avenue, left Mount Eden and end at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital.

(2) From Macombs Road via left Mount Eden Avenue, past Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, right Morris Avenue, right 170th to Concourse.

• 3 weeks later...

If we use the Bx18 for Mount Eden, there could be two options...

(1) Extend from 170th/Concourse via 170th, Morris Avenue, left Mount Eden and end at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital.

(2) From Macombs Road via left Mount Eden Avenue, past Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, right Morris Avenue, right 170th to Concourse.

The first idea I get, but coming out of Macombs Road would be like the route would be coming out of a loop from 170 Street.

Archived