Could the Subway Shutdown have been politically motivated?

Wallyhorse

Not at all:

David Faber on CNBC said it for a lot of people.  He BLASTED CUOMO TWICE on CNBC this morning and there are many who feel that way.

Wall Street is not going to forget this, and if I'm at the DNC, Cuomo is getting a stern warning that if he does this again (unless it's an Irene or Sandy situation), he will be "persona non grata" in the Democratic Party and if necessary, the DNC will find a candidate and heavily back that candidate to run against Cuomo in 2018 for Governor that will listen to what the DNC wants on a national level.

What Cuomo may have unintentionally done with this shutdown was make the job of getting the House and Senate in 2016 back in Democratic control that much harder.  Wall Street will use what Cuomo did against other Democrats (even outside New York) if they deem it necessary.

Wally, you honestly just sound butthurt because you lost a few bucks from your stocks today. -_-

While he blamed the Wall Street decline on Cuomo and the subway shutdown the analysts blamed it on Microsoft and Procter and Gambles' poor earning reports. Intel and Dupont also fell pulling the market down too. Like an overnight subway shutdown really influences the stock market. Amazing, just amazing.

Not at all:

David Faber on CNBC said it for a lot of people.  He BLASTED CUOMO TWICE on CNBC this morning and there are many who feel that way.

Wall Street is not going to forget this, and if I'm at the DNC, Cuomo is getting a stern warning that if he does this again (unless it's an Irene or Sandy situation), he will be "persona non grata" in the Democratic Party and if necessary, the DNC will find a candidate and heavily back that candidate to run against Cuomo in 2018 for Governor that will listen to what the DNC wants on a national level.

What Cuomo may have unintentionally done with this shutdown was make the job of getting the House and Senate in 2016 back in Democratic control that much harder.  Wall Street will use what Cuomo did against other Democrats (even outside New York) if they deem it necessary.

Of all the questionable things that Cuomo has done, you pick a train shutdown to say that the DNC won't pick him?

The day a New York politician successfully runs for president in this day and age, regardless of political slant, is the day hell freezes over. Cuomo has way more skeletons in the closet than a precautionary train shutdown.

Of all the questionable things that Cuomo has done, you pick a train shutdown to say that the DNC won't pick him?

The day a New York politician successfully runs for president in this day and age, regardless of political slant, is the day hell freezes over. Cuomo has way more skeletons in the closet than a precautionary train shutdown.

You have no idea how pissed off Wall Street is about this.  It's the kind of thing where others who might be vying to unseat Rebpublicans now get hurt because what Cuomo did PO'ed Wall Street to where they will be more aggressive than they otherwise would in keeping the GOP in control of the House and Senate in 2016.  If I'm in the GOP right now, I'm CELEBRATING what Cuomo did because Cuomo just made the GOP's job of keeping the House and Senate in 2016 that much easier.

Cuomo may be dealing with WAY MORE political fallout from this than he ever imagined.

You have no idea how pissed off Wall Street is about this. It's the kind of thing where others who might be vying to unseat Rebpublicans now get hurt because what Cuomo did PO'ed Wall Street to where they will be more aggressive than they otherwise would in keeping the GOP in control of the House and Senate in 2016. If I'm in the GOP right now, I'm CELEBRATING what Cuomo did because Cuomo just made the GOP's job of keeping the House and Senate in 2016 that much easier.

Cuomo may be dealing with WAY MORE political fallout from this than he ever imagined.

Once again, that's THEIR problem, not Cuomo's. And I guarantee you the DNC does NOT factor a winter storm-related subway shutdown into their decision about where to hold their convention. Wall St DOES NOT call the shots about shutting down subways and selecting cities for political conventions.

Again, if this selfish little prick Faber and other on Wall St are pissed off at Cuomo for shutting down the subways and commuter rails, then that is THEIR problem, not Cuomo's.

By the way, the PATH trains and NJT commuter rail also suspended operations during this storm. So where is Faber's outrage at Governor Christie over that? Oh, right, Christie's a Republican...

Once again, that's THEIR problem, not Cuomo's. And I guarantee you the DNC does NOT factor a winter storm-related subway shutdown into their decision about where to hold their convention. Wall St DOES NOT call the shots about shutting down subways and selecting cities for political conventions.

Again, if this selfish little prick Faber and other on Wall St are pissed off at Cuomo for shutting down the subways and commuter rails, then that is THEIR problem, not Cuomo's.

By the way, the PATH trains and NJT commuter rail also suspended operations during this storm. So where is Faber's outrage at Governor Christie over that? Oh, right, Christie's a Republican...

Did I even say the Convention?  This would be Cuomo being told by the DNC and the party itself NOT to shut the subways down because in this case, the blowback is likely to reverb around races that don't even involve the New York area due to Wall Street being so PO'ed over this that they will double down on their efforts to keep the House and Senate in GOP control in 2016.  That's what I meant by unintended consequences that Cuomo unleashed with this shutdown, and Wall Street would have felt the same way whether it was 3" or 30" of snow.   If The Democratic Party tells Cuomo NOT to shut the subways down in a snowstorm again and he does it, the Dems may very well tell Cuomo he is "persona non grata."   Cuomo violated Rule #1 of politics, which EVEN IN A SNOW EMERGENCY applies because of how PO'ed Wall Street is.

Call them pricks if you like, but the fact is, they can have extreme influence on a lot of things and Wall Street likely will not forget this for a VERY long time.

PATH likely only shut down because Cuomo probably insisted on that too. 

@Wallyhorse: You know, the more you drag this out, the more idiotic you sound. As it stands, the subway was only shut down during the overnight hours, well after normal trading hours on the stock exchange. Right there, your argument is null and void. You're making it sound like the city was shut down for days on end. And even if that was the case, most people outside of New York wouldn't give a crap about it if Cuomo was ever to make a presidential bid. This is such a localized event that nobody would ever bring it up.

And you know what, as I mentioned in my long post in the OT thread, following semi-recent events, along with the NWS forecasts for what was actually a very severe storm to hit the NYC area, the governor had little choice other than what he did. I don't know if you've been watching the news over the past 24 hours or so, but that storm that just grazed us, yeah, it pounded New England. The storm surge and blizzard conditions were being called a cold-weather hurricane by some. Now imagine if that hit us and the subways were still running. With the usual suspects of lines suspended due to heavy snow accumulations and the roads closed off because of the travel ban, where would those riders be going after they got off their trains?

I swear, sometimes I wonder how you come to your conclusions. Whether it's your outrageous service change ideas or the notion that transit is supposed to cater to politicians above all else, they're all so far off-base that it comes across as either clueless or just plain moronic. The subway wasn't shut down for political reasons, of which I can't really fathom in the first place. It was done so because we were expected to be hit by a powerful blizzard. Stop looking for a reason when your answer is staring you dead in the face.

Also, rather than have this thread continue on for several more pages with you posting the same thing ad-nauseam, I'm locking this thread here and now.

Archived