Some LIRR and NYCT/MNRR Transferring Questions

prospective

Hello, I applied to two jobs at the LIRR. One response took two months the other took four months. I recently applied for a third job. The three jobs I applied for were in three different departments. So do different departments have different hiring processes and response times to applications? Any information is appreciated, thank you.

The LIRR and MNRR have totally different hiring practices than NYCTA. They basically can hire however they want. They aren't governed by civil service laws. Best you can do with them is apply and pray you hear something back. Since you did, that's a good sign. Many people never hear back from them.

Hello, I applied to two jobs at the LIRR. One response took two months the other took four months. I recently applied for a third job. The three jobs I applied for were in three different departments. So do different departments have different hiring processes and response times to applications? Any information is appreciated, thank you.

What jobs did you hear back about?

Locomotive Engineer? I'm in the process right now. Your going to be taking an entry level exam. It's a vocabulary and a cognitive test (for logical reasoning and how well you follow directions). Once you pass that exam, there will be an initial interview right after that same day. Once you pass that then the emails start coming in if their interested for the background check. If all is good. Then you will be invited back for their signals and definition overview. Now we have 4 weeks to study all 128 signals, 46 signals aspect and indications and 70 definitions. Which need to be written and memorized verbatim. My test date is in another few weeks. Studying like crazy. Almost complete with all the information. If you pass their exam. (Which you need to score 100% NO EXCEPTIONS) they a panel interview will be held. If selected (IF) then you will be in phase 1 training. Haven't gotten to that point yet. But it is a lot of information.

But from what I know so far. Not all positions require tests.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey LIRR154, I was searching this forum and saw you mentioned the yardmaster position. I applied for that a few weeks ago. Can you tell me your experience with applying and hearing back from the LIRR with regards to the yardmaster position. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

The LIRR and MNRR have totally different hiring practices than NYCTA. They basically can hire however they want. They aren't governed by civil service laws. Best you can do with them is apply and pray you hear something back. Since you did, that's a good sign. Many people never hear back from them.

Is it possible to transfer to MNRR once you have secured a position with NYCTA track worker?

Is it possible to transfer to MNRR once you have secured a position with NYCTA track worker?

I highly doubt it, from an employment prospective they are two separate agencies. NYC Transit workers (including Track Workers) receive city benefits and a pension from NYCERS (NYC Employee' Retirement System). Metro-North only serves Grand Central, Westchester County and Connecticut, therefore, not only am I unfamiliar with their benefits and pension, but it's probably and most likely not under NYCERS... 

I highly doubt it, from an employment prospective they are two separate agencies. NYC Transit workers (including Track Workers) receive city benefits and a pension from NYCERS (NYC Employee' Retirement System). Metro-North only serves Grand Central, Westchester County and Connecticut, therefore, not only am I unfamiliar with their benefits and pension, but it's probably and most likely not under NYCERS...

Thanks for the input do you happen to know how to apply for MNRR track worker

Thanks for the input do you happen to know how to apply for MNRR track worker

First, you're welcome.

Second, this is what you have to do:

Go to http://web.mta.info/mta/employment/, click on "Metro North", followed by "Agree", then select "Metro North" & click on "Search".

Even though there is no current opening, from doing a simple Google search, this web page should satisfy your curiosity.

First, you're welcome.

Second, this is what you have to do:

Go to http://web.mta.info/mta/employment/, click on "Metro North", followed by "Agree", then select "Metro North" & click on "Search".

Even though there is no current opening, from doing a simple Google search, this web page should satisfy your curiosity.

Thanks again checked it not much going on on that page but gonna check it daily appreciate the Input again

Archived