75 foot car

mark1447

They can run from Broad St. to Metropolitan Ave. They can't run to Jamaica Center because of the sharp curve at Crescent St. I think that there is also a side swiping problem if 2 75ft trains pass each other on both side of the Williamsburg Bridge. It is not practical to use them on the (M) because you would need a 6 car (AAABBA) train and if there was a service disruption between Myrtle Ave. and Metropolitan Ave. the 75ft cars could not be sent to Jamaica and it would wreak havoc on the Broadway El.

But if the CBTC wasn't on the (L) the line a R46 can run on it. The (L) has no sharp curves or tight spots what so ever. Trust me, I use to ride it end-to-end everyday. Only spot I can think of is Graham Avenue curve and it's THAT tight.

Matter of fact, I think the (L) almost got some but turned it down since it wouldn't be interchangeable with the East NY fleet. I think.

They can run from Broad St. to Metropolitan Ave. They can't run to Jamaica Center because of the sharp curve at Crescent St. I think that there is also a side swiping problem if 2 75ft trains pass each other on both side of the Williamsburg Bridge. It is not practical to use them on the (M) because you would need a 6 car (AAABBA) train and if there was a service disruption between Myrtle Ave. and Metropolitan Ave. the 75ft cars could not be sent to Jamaica and it would wreak havoc on the Broadway El.

well then have the R179s run on the (M) , south of Broad doesnt seem bad.. as it will hit the Broadway-Nassau street junction....

But if the CBTC wasn't on the (L) the line a R46 can run on it. The (L) has no sharp curves or tight spots what so ever. Trust me, I use to ride it end-to-end everyday. Only spot I can think of is Graham Avenue curve and it's THAT tight.

Matter of fact, I think the (L) almost got some but turned it down since it wouldn't be interchangeable with the East NY fleet. I think.

Well all it takes is one curve to place a equipment restriction on a line. I also think that the old (L) tracks that were in the East New York area (the name escapes me right now) had a sharp curve too. Plus they can only hold 8 60ft car trains so it is not coast effective to have a shorter and heaver train run and carry less customers.

Well all it takes is one curve to place a equipment restriction on a line. I also think that the old (L) tracks that were in the East New York area (the name escapes me right now) had a sharp curve too. Plus they can only hold 8 60ft car trains so it is not coast effective to have a shorter and heaver train run and carry less customers.

Near Sneideker Av? Also, I dont believe ANY 75 foot cars can run through the Spur FROM the Montague St Tunnel to Nassau St.

Zachary

Near Sneideker Av? Also, I dont believe ANY 75 foot cars can run through the Spur FROM the Montague St Tunnel to Nassau St.

Zachary

I believe some tunnels have notches cut out to allow longer stuff to move thru them. Clearances on elevated lines are changed easily enough. Loading gauge can be changed in some situations, but not all. :)

- A

It doesn't make sense to put them on the (L), especially now. The crowding gets to be too much on the line, and the room on trains is much needed.

And its too expensive to go and extend platforms everywhere so scratch that one out.

well then have the R179s run on the (M) , south of Broad doesnt seem bad..

Just because one R-46 went to Metropolitan on a special occasion doesn't mean that 75' cars can be assigned to the (M). Two trains could not run simultaneously on that line since the end excess of the two trains wouldn't clear at the Myrtle interlocking. There also appears to be some question regarding the section of track from the Nassau St Line to the Montague tunnels.

The R68A cars, only 200 cars running on the (:D(N)(Q) and (W) are the best. The R68s do a great job transporting passengers on (:D, but people complain that they can't get off the train fast enough since are fewer sets of doors on 75 foot car trains, but hey that's not an issue, what's really convenient, is more seating, so I prefer R68 and R68A cars, since you have perpendicular-leaning seats near windows, and you can just look out all day. I do that every day on (B)(Q).:)

personally i like the 60 ft cars better than the 75 ft cars, a 10 car 60 ft train is longer than a 8 car 75 ft train (if you don't believe me stand at the end of the platform @ roosevelt ave and look at the difference) also 75 ft cars have less doors which means less openings to squeeze in and out through which means that the time in a station is longer

personally i like the 60 ft cars better than the 75 ft cars, a 10 car 60 ft train is longer than a 8 car 75 ft train (if you don't believe me stand at the end of the platform @ roosevelt ave and look at the difference) also 75 ft cars have less doors which means less openings to squeeze in and out through which means that the time in a station is longer

The set door difference between 60ft trains and 75ft trains were becoming a problem, resulting in no more 75 foot cars for now. Of course people raised points that (J)(L)(M)(Z) lines can't use 75 foot cars.

Now I wonder what's going on with the R179 project, no news about it recently.

:confused: Mathematically they are the same length... maybe the gaps between the cars?

The space between doors is greater on the 75 foot car train. 75 x 8 = 600. 60 x 10 = 600. Platforms are USUALLY 600 feet some are shorter some are longer.

To put this in perspective a (NJT) comet 3 is 80 feet long i believe. An alp-44 is not as long but is counted as a "car" on the signal block system. Back on point... If i have 3 doors on the comet 3 car in 80 feet, and a train of 12 passenger cars, it has 36 doors over 960 feet. Now, if we add a door per car (IND/BMT have 4 doors per car) we get 48 doors over 960 feet. Now... If we take similar length car, say one operated by LIRR, they have 2 doors on trains of 10 cars... You get 20 doors over 800 feet. The layout of these cars is hugely inefficient in crowded situations compared to the comet 3 even with just one more door AND 2 more cars. So as you can see, more doors per foot of car lengh would be better for moving people quickly in a rapid transit system.

I used the (NJT) to LIRR analogy here because its what i know best.

If you have the choice to make smaller stations with shorter platforms but move people more quickly OR use longer platforms & bigger stations and slower people movement which would you pick? :(

- A

The space between doors is greater on the 75 foot car train. 75 x 8 = 600. 60 x 10 = 600. Platforms are USUALLY 600 feet some are shorter some are longer.

To put this in perspective a (NJT) comet 3 is 80 feet long i believe. An alp-44 is not as long but is counted as a "car" on the signal block system. Back on point... If i have 3 doors on the comet 3 car in 80 feet, and a train of 12 passenger cars, it has 36 doors over 960 feet. Now, if we add a door per car (IND/BMT have 4 doors per car) we get 48 doors over 960 feet. Now... If we take similar length car, say one operated by LIRR, they have 2 doors on trains of 10 cars... You get 20 doors over 800 feet. The layout of these cars is hugely inefficient in crowded situations compared to the comet 3 even with just one more door AND 2 more cars. So as you can see, more doors per foot of car lengh would be better for moving people quickly in a rapid transit system.

I used the (NJT) to LIRR analogy here because its what i know best.

If you have the choice to make smaller stations with shorter platforms but move people more quickly OR use longer platforms & bigger stations and slower people movement which would you pick? :(

- A

No no no. This has nothing to do with the distance between the car doors or the number of car doors.

From how I interpret it, he said that a 10 car train of 60 ft cars is longer than an 8 car train of 75 ft cars.

Now mathematically 60×10=75×8. So I don't know what he's getting at.

But you're absolutely right about the doors, anyhow.

No no no. This has nothing to do with the distance between the car doors or the number of car doors.

From how I interpret it, he said that a 10 car train of 60 ft cars is longer than an 8 car train of 75 ft cars.

Now mathematically 60×10=75×8. So I don't know what he's getting at.

But you're absolutely right about the doors, anyhow.

Wellll..... Yea that makes no sense unless the couplers are making a difference in between the cars, which over 10 cars might add up to a difference? Sometimes i DO see one end of a train exactly at the end of the platform & the other end is out past it by like a foot, usually at the trailing end.

- A

Wellll..... Yea that makes no sense unless the couplers are making a difference in between the cars, which over 10 cars might add up to a difference? Sometimes i DO see one end of a train exactly at the end of the platform & the other end is out past it by like a foot, usually at the trailing end.

- A

R44/R46 equipment has different couplers, they use the HT4 couplers instead of the H2C coupler, but I don't really notice a difference. If you're noticing differences, is it at the same station? Is it the same train, or a following train? If it's a following train, the T/O may not hit the exact mark as the previous, which is OK because as long as he hits the board the doors can be opened. And obviously if it's a different station the platform lengths can very a few feet from station to station (with some extreme examples like 34th/Herald Sq on 6th ave, which is almost 800 feet). If its the same train in the same station, then maybe there's something to that coupler theory.

R44/R46 equipment has different couplers, they use the HT4 couplers instead of the H2C coupler, but I don't really notice a difference. If you're noticing differences, is it at the same station? Is it the same train, or a following train? If it's a following train, the T/O may not hit the exact mark as the previous, which is OK because as long as he hits the board the doors can be opened. And obviously if it's a different station the platform lengths can very a few feet from station to station (with some extreme examples like 34th/Herald Sq on 6th ave, which is almost 800 feet). If its the same train in the same station, then maybe there's something to that coupler theory.

Same train & station as far as i can remember, but i will check!!

It was usually about 8-10 inches, and i've watched train after train hit 2 separate marks, one on platform, one 8-10 inches back. It was uncanny. I have also noticed that sometimes the gap between the cars at floor level (the curved metal bit at the ends) can vary from 2 to all most 6 inches on a straight & flat station.

- A

Archived