75 foot car

mark1447

I know this may be a dumb question in some people view, but idc, can someone tell me whats the reason that the TA made the 75 foot cars as of R44s, just wanna put sum knowlege in me :D and for others who want to learn more =)

and yes I know that the R1s were tested for 75 foot lol, but i dunno whats the purpose for this.. for more passanger room ? =S

Probably to evaluate 2 less cars from a regular 10 car train, 8 less doors, but additional seating, transverse seating, maybe a smoother ride? Pantograph Gates to phase out, and utilize only spring chains between cars, ending of walking between cars....

thz for your comment, so its too shorten the numbers of Train cars within the fleet, rather then 10 but 8..

If it were one car, of an R44, is it the same as two R62s as well?

thz for your comment, so its too shorten the numbers of Train cars within the fleet, rather then 10 but 8..

If it were one car, of an R44, is it the same as two R62s as well?

All I did was anticipate as to why 75' cars were brought into service. Im not 100% accurate:o. And no, 1 R44/46/68/68A is 75 feet long, while 2 R62/R62A's are 51 feet long each times 2, that 102 feet long. Thats 27 feet past the single R44 Car.

R44 / R46 / R68 / R68A = 75 Feet PER Car.

8 Car Train of R44s / R46s / R68s / R68As is 75 X 8 Which = 600 Feet Long.

600 Feet is the same length as a 10 Car Train made up of R32s / R38s /R40 Slants / R40Mods / R42s & R160A/Bs. These cars are 60 feet long a piece, so 60 X 10 = 600.

Getting the hang of it?

75 foot cars are loud around corners with plenty of flange scrape, and usually have to slow down where the clearance is tight. You will usually notice a difference between the 2 lengths if there are any really tight turns on that line.

- A

One thing about having a fleet of 75ft is that it lowers maintenance costs by having 2 less cars per train. The draw back of the R44/46 and of the R68/A is that they are in 4 car sets aside from several 2 car R46 sets. Because of this, any problem in one car keeps the other 3 out of service. I know that they made the R62s into 5 car sets and the R44/46 originally did not have link bars holding ABBA sets together, but that was a major mistake as far as maintenance is concerned.

75 Foot Cars can run about $2000 less then a 60 Foot Car. Instead of repairing two 60 Footers at time, they can do half of a 8 Car train at time. Sadly I feel it's pointless to have 75 foot train because they have tooo many problems. They weigh alot more the any other train in the system, they can't navigate certain curves, and they take forever to load and unload. Also they run slow. Most 75 Foots are restricted for 45 MPH while many 60 foots can do 55 MPH.

The R44s can go to hell.

The R46s can go the overhaul shop.

and

The R68s can go back to the Brighton.

I do not like being trapped in a subway car. I want a way out at both ends of the car. I want both doors open at all times at both ends of the car. I've always felt this way. That's why I prefer the 60' cars.

Yea, open doors save lives. Ever read the evacuation instructions on most rail cars? Option one is move to next car!

- A

One thing about having a fleet of 75ft is that it lowers maintenance costs by having 2 less cars per train. The draw back of the R44/46 and of the R68/A is that they are in 4 car sets aside from several 2 car R46 sets. Because of this, any problem in one car keeps the other 3 out of service. I know that they made the R62s into 5 car sets and the R44/46 originally did not have link bars holding ABBA sets together, but that was a major mistake as far as maintenance is concerned.

link bar, wat u mean by that m8

75 Foot cars have their advantages on some lines, like the (A).

I find them at times to be a little roomier too, at times not.

The 75 footers now are pretty damn reliable, especially the R46s.

It'll have a pretty nice advantage when the next order of 75 footers come in....

A link bar is a bar that hold trains together and is semi permanent. R44 cars are all linked into ABBA sets with A being an operating motor and B being a trailer. The R46 series are mostly in ABBA sets with about 12 AA sets that were used when the (G) line operated 6 car R46 sets (AAABBA). There is also 1 R46 set that is AABA. The link bar can be removed, but I think this can only be done in the shop not out on the road. The R68/As on the other hand were delivered as all single cars, but have since been placed into ABBA sets with A cars being even numbered and B cars being odd. The operating end of all sets have a full cab. The only R68/A cars that are still singles are on the (S) Franklin Ave. shuttle. As for the way the R62/A cars are set up, I have no idea. Also I can tell an R68 from an R68A so I don't know of what type the (S) Franklin Ave shuttle uses. I hope this explains it clearly, if not just ask.

A link bar is a bar that hold trains together and is semi permanent. R44 cars are all linked into ABBA sets with A being an operating motor and B being a trailer. The R46 series are mostly in ABBA sets with about 12 AA sets that were used when the (G) line operated 6 car R46 sets (AAABBA). There is also 1 R46 set that is AABA. The link bar can be removed, but I think this can only be done in the shop not out on the road. The R68/As on the other hand were delivered as all single cars, but have since been placed into ABBA sets with A cars being even numbered and B cars being odd. The operating end of all sets have a full cab. The only R68/A cars that are still singles are on the (S) Franklin Ave. shuttle. As for the way the R62/A cars are set up, I have no idea. Also I can tell an R68 from an R68A so I don't know of what type the (S) Franklin Ave shuttle uses. I hope this explains it clearly, if not just ask.

yeah I can tell and R68 from a 68A by the Front roll signs

and I know ABBAABBA for 8 cars A being the motor man.conductors cab, B no cabs

So Im guessing the R179 would be 75 feet, seeing that its gonna retire the R44

So the Only routes in NYC that cant take 75ft cars is the BMTs Eastern Division (L)(J)(M)(Z) right?

@pablo, when i enter the R44 though 68A, DAMN is those cars long!! Especially the 44s on the (A), sounds like (2) R62s cars together, exclusing beween cars

That is correct, no 75ft cars on the (J)(Z) or (L), but they can run on the (M) and I do have proof but I need to find it.

An R-46 did go as far as Fresh Pond around the time they first entered service or shortly before. This was part of an ERA fantrip and even then it was known that those cars would not see regular service on the (M) or anywhere in the Eastern Division. There are photos, or at least one photo of this which pops up from time to time.

I can under stand the (J)(M)(Z) but why not the (L)? the (L) doesn't have sharp curved.

14 St Line platforms cannot platform more than an 8-car train of 60 footers. As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the (L) could run 75' cars in 6-car sets for a total of 450'. This would be slightly shorter than the 480' long 8-car sets of 60 footers. It probably wouldn't make too much of difference regarding passenger space, but given the amount of cabs on R-68/As, and general crowding on the (L), its probably for the best that it remain with 60' cars.

Archived