Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

1 hour ago, CD33 said:

I received an email to take an oral assessment for conductors next month after 5 years of waiting. Does anyone know the current entry level pay? The only information I can find online would mean the pay has stayed the same for 5 years..

I just received the email also. The entry level pay is $24.33.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CD33 said:

I received an email to take an oral assessment for conductors next month after 5 years of waiting. Does anyone know the current entry level pay? The only information I can find online would mean the pay has stayed the same for 5 years..

I believe $24 and change. 

2 hours ago, CD33 said:

Current pay is $24.31 per hour, and Oral assessment? What are they going to have you do? I don't remember taking one to get the job. 

13 hours ago, Chris8 said:

Current pay is $24.31 per hour, and Oral assessment? What are they going to have you do? I don't remember taking one to get the job. 

Oral Proficiency Assessment...pretty sure they basically just want to hear and make sure you're able to speak loud and clear. Could be wrong though. 

3 hours ago, ronZO215 said:

Oral Proficiency Assessment...pretty sure they basically just want to hear and make sure you're able to speak loud and clear. Could be wrong though. 

Yup, that's basically what it is. Thank you to everyone who got back to me! I was hoping the information online wasn't updated, I'm just very surprised the pay hasn't changed.

Hey everyone I am new here I just got a OPA email yesterday. My list # is 72** from what I’ve been reading and the time it takes for conductors class idk if I truly have a great shot at landing this job before the test deadline runs out in 2023. Glad you see many people who have gone through and made it. Congratulations to all much love to everyone. What are the odds any of us in the 7*** get hired? Would like to hear thoughts and opinions as always Luv to everyone in the forum.

1 hour ago, CD33 said:

Yup, that's basically what it is. Thank you to everyone who got back to me! I was hoping the information online wasn't updated, I'm just very surprised the pay hasn't changed.

If I remember correctly it was about $19 or $18 an hour when I first took the exam, so the pay rate did increase.

15 minutes ago, Canarsie88 said:

Hey everyone I am new here I just got a OPA email yesterday. My list # is 72** from what I’ve been reading and the time it takes for conductors class idk if I truly have a great shot at landing this job before the test deadline runs out in 2023. Glad you see many people who have gone through and made it. Congratulations to all much love to everyone. What are the odds any of us in the 7*** get hired? Would like to hear thoughts and opinions as always Luv to everyone in the forum.

You have a better chance than you might think. It's been 5 and 1/2 years. People have died, moved, got different jobs... Some may have disqualified themselves by catching some sort of criminal charge.... Some could be sick.. So you might think there's 2,000 people in front of you when it might actually only be about 600 at this point. Hang in there!

Edited by Milano
More

25 minutes ago, Canarsie88 said:

How does the email header or email looks like I'm around the same # as you want to make sure its not going to junk 

21 minutes ago, Milano said:

You have a better chance than you might think. It's been 5 and 1/2 years. People have died, moved, got different jobs... Some may have disqualified themselves by catching some sort of criminal charge.... Some could be sick.. So you might think there's 2,000 people in front of you when it might actually only be about 600 at this point. Hang in there!

Thank I appreciate your thoughts. I currently work for NYPD going on 6 years. I think the MTA offers more better opportunities for growth as far as positions and salary with better benefits. I go for my OPA in June I am praying I can get pass that phase and leave everything in Gods hands.

13 minutes ago, Canarsie88 said:

Thank I appreciate your thoughts. I currently work for NYPD going on 6 years. I think the MTA offers more better opportunities for growth as far as positions and salary with better benefits. I go for my OPA in June I am praying I can get pass that phase and leave everything in Gods hands.

Not sure what you do for NYPD... But if you're a cop, I know a lot of Troopers who started in the city and they're very happy working with the greys on instead.

49 minutes ago, Milano said:

Not sure what you do for NYPD... But if you're a cop, I know a lot of Troopers who started in the city and they're very happy working with the greys on instead.

Nah I’m not a police officer I am a civilian worker. But I feel like the MTA offers somethings as far as a better medical and pension to me. Are you now working as Conductor or still in the waiting process if you don’t mind me asking or if you can even disclose of that.

1 minute ago, Canarsie88 said:

Nah I’m not a police officer I am a civilian worker. But I feel like the MTA offers somethings as far as a better medical and pension to me. Are you now working as Conductor or still in the waiting process if you don’t mind me asking or if you can even disclose of that.

I'm just waiting on an email for medical... And probably a second pre-employment like most people had to go through lol. Right now I'm a NYSDOT contractor. Conductor would be a pay cut for me at first, a crazy commute too... but manageable and worth it eventually.

MTA has good offerings and advancement from what I hear from people and see on the forums. The Thruway Authority has good stuff also without a test but the pay sucks the first few years.

3 hours ago, Milano said:

I'm just waiting on an email for medical... And probably a second pre-employment like most people had to go through lol. Right now I'm a NYSDOT contractor. Conductor would be a pay cut for me at first, a crazy commute too... but manageable and worth it eventually.

MTA has good offerings and advancement from what I hear from people and see on the forums. The Thruway Authority has good stuff also without a test but the pay sucks the first few years.

Ohh ok nice how has it been working for NYSDOT? I think the same for me as In Paycut but eventually you can make it back. The paycut for me won’t be too significant but still a cut in pay for sure. I will be praying that your medical comes through so you won’t have to do a 2nd pre-employment. I read some where on this forum of someone who passed their OPA and the same day the offered him the job. But again idk how true that is being that everyone that I have read on this forum has gone through quite a step by step process pertaining to being hired and eventually making it to Conductors school. Hopefully before this month ends you will have your medical done and over with.

On 5/11/2022 at 5:15 PM, Canarsie88 said:

Hey I'm around the same number too, Hopefully I get the opa letter. Do you know the sender email, like how it starts so I can keep an eye out of it list 77** thank you 

25 minutes ago, LeonR said:

What’s up guys. I just got an appointment for OPA next two weeks. Is this hard? Also it says no phones allowed, how true is this? All information will be very helpful! 

Phones are fine but you need to turn it off when they tell you. If you can speak and understand English, it's easy. They're going to play radio transmissions and quiz you on what you heard.

Then they're going to show you pictures and ask you what you'd do. (Like someone is sick or been robbed, etc)

28 minutes ago, Mohamed said:

Hey I'm around the same number too, Hopefully I get the opa letter. Do you know the sender email, like how it starts so I can keep an eye out of it list 77** thank you 

Monitor your inbox for anything coming from @nyct.com 

Edited by Milano

6 minutes ago, Milano said:

Phones are fine but you need to turn it off when they tell you. If you can speak and understand English, it's easy. They're going to play radio transmissions and quiz you on what you heard.

Then they're going to show you pictures and ask you what you'd do. (Like someone is sick or been robbed, etc)

Monitor your inbox for anything coming from @nyct.com 

Thank you! Hope this is one step closer, been waiting 7 years lol

On 5/11/2022 at 10:42 PM, Canarsie88 said:

I read some where on this forum of someone who passed their OPA and the same day the offered him the job. But again idk how true that is being that everyone that I have read on this forum has gone through quite a step by step process pertaining to being hired and eventually making it to Conductors school. Hopefully before this month ends you will have your medical done and over with.

It may be true. I recently received an email to come in for the OPA. My email states "If you pass the OPA you will be immediately processed for consideration for employment which includes a drug screening and medical exam. Please verify that your email and phone number are current."

I'm assuming this is because they weren't able to contact me when I was originally supposed to take the OPA.

List # 64xx

Edited by SweetTart59
Grammar

26 minutes ago, Mohamed said:

Hey Everyone, is there a way to check what Information was used to sign up for this exam like email and mailing. I just want to make sure it's the right info and not no old information

I think you'll need to email examsunit@nyct.com - and because you're dealing with an agency such as the mta, email them during business hours and if you don't hear anything back email them again the following week. Don't count on somebody seeing it and addressing it immediately. Keep emailing until you get an answer.

If you are scheduled to take the opa, you will be able to fill out a correction form for your contact information when you go there. You might have to ask somebody. They offered it to my class as a "just in case anyone needs this..." 

At the time they only had my email address correct even though I emailed them already to change my physical mailing address and phone number twice.. After I filled out that piece of paper when it came time for the drug screening, I received text messages phone calls and emails, so I assume the paperwork was processed properly. 

Edited by Milano