Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, MTA MAC said:

Hey, I missed my OPA appointment back in January 2022. I was called in for Pre- employment back in April where I submitted the employment packet and took a drug test. Who do I contact  concerning my OPA appointment? 

Why didn't you mention it to anyone while you were there for pre-employment? You could try examsunit@nyct.com perhaps 🤦‍♂️

23 minutes ago, Milano said:

Why didn't you mention it to anyone while you were there for pre-employment? You could try examsunit@nyct.com perhaps 🤦‍♂️

Yea, that's definitely a thought however, I figured it was just how they were doing things.. I  just finished my probation in another title and was considering switching over. I did send  emails to the address on the OPA appointment letter and got no response.

14 hours ago, Canarsie88 said:

I’m sorry I just wanted to ask how long did it take for you to get your 1st pre-employment after doing your OPA exam?

Probably 5 years, I took my OPA a year after this test so back in 2017. 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, Kamen Rider said:

The great climb was completed on Friday...

I was so excited I forgot to mention it here...

I'm in!.

I'm IN!

I'M IN!

I'm in the class starting Monday, Just ordered my boots. 

Can I ask what’s the process to the class after I went to my pre employment and took the drug lab test .. can u tell me what’s next till u get to the class plz

5 hours ago, Cashdiior said:

Can I ask what’s the process to the class after I went to my pre employment and took the drug lab test .. can u tell me what’s next till u get to the class plz

The medical section is next after the pre employment if they're up to your list number.

34 minutes ago, Schecter said:

14XX

Wow and you just got through congratulations 🍾🎉🎈🎊 I thought they were passed that list number as far as who they’ve hired for the job already. Yeah I have no shot at being hired. Again congratulations my man I pray for the best throughout your new journey.

Just now, Canarsie88 said:

Wow and you just got through congratulations 🍾🎉🎈🎊 I thought they were passed that list number as far as who they’ve hired for the job already. Yeah I have no shot at being hired. Again congratulations my man I pray for the best throughout your new journey.

Yeah was called in June 2019 lol but now I'm a train operator 👀

Just now, Schecter said:

Yeah was called in June 2019 lol but now I'm a train operator 👀

Ohhhhh ok I thought you just got called this year. Because I’m in the back at 72** I was going to say my 40 percent chance I thought of maybe making it through is not in the probability. Congratulations on train operator how has that been for you?

5 minutes ago, Canarsie88 said:

Ohhhhh ok I thought you just got called this year. Because I’m in the back at 72** I was going to say my 40 percent chance I thought of maybe making it through is not in the probability. Congratulations on train operator how has that been for you?

Nah I just help out with whatever I can between both forums, and thanks :). It's been okay not too bad it could always be worse. A lot more of responsibilities than when I was a conductor though 

Greetings!

To ALL NEW Conductors, want to extend my congratulations and best of luck! This job as you will see is a lot of work BUT once you get the hang of things, you will be alright. You WILL be stressed, you WILL be annoyed BUT it will be worth it. Hope to see some of you on the road!

I’m curious to know if anyone around the 5xxx list number has done their medical and or already entered the may 30 class. Just want to get idea on what list number they are around approximately l. If anyone can answer this and provide a list number would be great thanks

1 hour ago, The TransitMan said:

Greetings!

To ALL NEW Conductors, want to extend my congratulations and best of luck! This job as you will see is a lot of work BUT once you get the hang of things, you will be alright. You WILL be stressed, you WILL be annoyed BUT it will be worth it. Hope to see some of you on the road!

I've been annoyed and stressed to the core at my current job for the last 10yrs lol,  so glad to know I've been in training all these yrs 🤣  def meant to be a conductor lol... just a matter of when it's my time 😕

2 minutes ago, ronZO215 said:

I've been annoyed and stressed to the core at my current job for the last 10yrs lol,  so glad to know I've been in training all these yrs 🤣  def meant to be a conductor lol... just a matter of when it's my time 😕

I'm also ready to face whatever MTA throws at me. I'll be taking a pay cut and commuting from upstate - but I don't care. It's for my family.

3 hours ago, Mohamed said:

A few questions I want to ask to those who are currently working as a conductor. How long is training? What sort of test do you have to take while in training? What happens if you fail a test? 

Thank you 

I'm currently in training now so I can help with this bit. Training is between 7-9 weeks and the reason I said in between is due to the fact that B division training is slight longer then A because there's more equipment to learn. Test consist of written quizzes (Signals, troubleshooting, Midterm and Final) and a hands on test (Yard and Road). 80% is passing on the written quizzes and the Yard and Road test are Pass or Fail. If you fail a quiz you're able to do a redo but instead of multiple choice it's all fill in (All answers have to be written out). If you fail a road or yard test you basically need to resign and you lose the job. 

4 hours ago, Mohamed said:

A few questions I want to ask to those who are currently working as a conductor. How long is training? What sort of test do you have to take while in training? What happens if you fail a test? 

Thank you 

You can also check the The Schoolcar Experience thread as I'm updating it daily. 

11 hours ago, Chris8 said:

I'm currently in training now so I can help with this bit. Training is between 7-9 weeks and the reason I said in between is due to the fact that B division training is slight longer then A because there's more equipment to learn. Test consist of written quizzes (Signals, troubleshooting, Midterm and Final) and a hands on test (Yard and Road). 80% is passing on the written quizzes and the Yard and Road test are Pass or Fail. If you fail a quiz you're able to do a redo but instead of multiple choice it's all fill in (All answers have to be written out). If you fail a road or yard test you basically need to resign and you lose the job. 

Thank you. 

For anyone going to Schoolcar now, or about to start Schoolcar, I can say I personally do NOT recommend the Kaka backpack. 

With all the stuff you're given during Schoolcar, between the Rule Book (which you have to keep on you at all times during your probation), training manuals, the various paperwork, your radio, the escape mask, flashlight, it can wind up weighing a lot. Especially if you have your own stuff such as a notebook for taking notes, food/drink, and during cooler/colder times of the year, you may want to consider carrying a sweater or some extra clothing for insulation. 

Generally, travel style backpacks or bags are the best solution as they allow you to stow away the shoulder straps and offer a shoulder strap so you can carry it like a duffel bag or messenger bag. But the shoulder straps on the Kaka bags, and the back padding/support are mediocre at best. After the third week of Schoolcar, I ordered another bag because my shoulders and back were hurting every night from carrying that Kaka bag for 2 to 4 hours on average. I'm just speaking from my experience, and I'm a bit on the skinnier side. Everyone has a different experience and keep in mind, you don't need to use that Kaka bag once you're done with Schoolcar.

On 6/4/2022 at 1:38 AM, Kamen Rider said:

Going to tell you now… if you really want this gig, get a REALLY big backpack. One that the over the shoulder straps could be taken off of or covered over in some fashion (required for walking on the tracks). They recommend a brand called Kaka.

That bag will get very full, very fast with a LOT of heavy stuff. 

the training manual they gave out today is a good 2 inches thick. And this is the revised edit that takes the R32 and R42 out. 

and we’re still not fully equipped, as we get more stuff on Monday. 

Hey all,

I just had my name recertified to the cert list due to a mixup. Does this mean that i'll be contacted for preemployment stuff when the next class is getting ready to begin? And does anyone know when it will begin? My list number is mid-3000s.

Also, does anyone have info for me on how much night and weekend differentials are? 

Thanks in advance!