Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

14 hours ago, Schecter said:

Special accommodations as in what exactly?

Like can I get stationed close to NJ like Manhattan or Brooklyn or chose what shifts I can do? I use to live in the Bronx but now jersey,I know my commute will be insanely hard since I have to deal with NJ transit and they don't run 24hrs a day and sometimes buses don't even show up.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Like can I get stationed close to NJ like Manhattan or Brooklyn or chose what shifts I can do? I use to live in the Bronx but now jersey,I know my commute will be insanely hard since I have to deal with NJ transit and they don't run 24hrs a day and sometimes buses don't even show up.

Transit doesnt care about where you live,prepare to be sent to far rock or jamaica

1 minute ago, Comrade96 said:

Transit doesnt care about where you live,prepare to be sent to far rock or jamaica

Yea I'm sure that was gonna be the answer lol,they really make people sacrifice alot,well at least in my case,already told my wife and kids if this career comes they are not gonna see a lot of me for at least the first year smh,welp gotta do what I gotta do to put my kids through college etc.

Just now, tsanchez2828 said:

Yea I'm sure that was gonna be the answer lol,they really make people sacrifice alot,well at least in my case,already told my wife and kids if this career comes they are not gonna see a lot of me for at least the first year smh,welp gotta do what I gotta do to put my kids through college etc.

itll get better with time but itll.be rough for the first few years

2 minutes ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Back during the pandemic, when there were open jobs everywhere, sure. With so many people hired at this point, it's highly doubtful as you'll certainly be competing with people who live in Staten Island and others from Jersey and they're not going to give a noob like you preference over someone who's been around longer. The best option you can try to do is when the next pick comes around, bid on as many vacancy jobs that are close to you as you can and hope you win one.

Just now, tsanchez2828 said:

Thanks for the info,do you also happen to know what time do classes start(if I ever get that call for medical and put into a class) or do the times vary and change a lot?

Usually at the start it's 7AM for orientation and going over things like the rules and regulations, but it seems lately they like to start class at 6AM. However for conductors, usually you will switch over to 3PM-11PM as the morning is the time spent for train operator classes.

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Back during the pandemic, when there were open jobs everywhere, sure. With so many people hired at this point, it's highly doubtful as you'll certainly be competing with people who live in Staten Island and others from Jersey and they're not going to give a noob like you preference over someone who's been around longer. The best option you can try to do is when the next pick comes around, bid on as many vacancy jobs that are close to you as you can and hope you win one.

Usually at the start it's 7AM for orientation and going over things like the rules and regulations, but it seems lately they like to start class at 6AM. However for conductors, usually you will switch over to 3PM-11PM as the morning is the time spent for train operator classes.

Thanks for the info,I hope the classes are in afternoon/evenings,I'll just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Yeah no that's not gonna happen they'll try sometimes to put you close to home but when you come out you'll be extra extra and you'll be sent all over the 4 boroughs. And also it depends on which division you get put into or pick.

2 hours ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Thanks for the info,do you also happen to know what time do classes start(if I ever get that call for medical and put into a class) or do the times vary and change a lot?

orientation started at 8am for me that monday, union hall the following day was around 9 I think?

And all of schoolcar was PMS for me, 3-11pm and one day a week roughly was gauranteed 5pm-1am 

Theyll give you the whole schedule once you get sworn in

3 hours ago, Mohamed said:

I just read on the Train Operator forum that their will be conductor classes scheduled for April, May and July.

🙏. I’m hopeful. 😂. Something this year. I saw you the other day. Lol. That was you in the tan suit right? I went in with you for medical. 😂😂🤣 but I’m shy. Lol. 

30 minutes ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

🙏. I’m hopeful. 😂. Something this year. I saw you the other day. Lol. That was you in the tan suit right? I went in with you for medical. 😂😂🤣 but I’m shy. Lol. 

I'm hopeful as well, I was wearing khakis with a light green dress shirt and a brown jacket. I ended up talking to some people, a lady that was sitting next to me came in for bus operator, we started chatting lol 

6 hours ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Where in NJ?  I'm in the same boat as you, close to the city right over the Hudson in WNY, NJ.    I have to report for my OPA on the 17th after waiting 8 years so I've got a lot of thinking to do.  If I was single with no kids I wouldn't think twice about it.   

As far as accommodations I highly doubt it.  The MTA is very punctual when it comes to time since the entire system revolves around it.  

Edited by noekozz

Quick heads up guys and girls this was posted by the union VP

"Quick Information 

#1. Current staffing numbers for all 3 titles

We currently have deficits in all 3 titles:

-180+ Train Operators and Conductors      

-40 Tower Operators.

These numbers are subject to change due to attrition and promotion. 

#2. Projected promotion classes/new hire classes

-April, May and July Conductor Classes 50-60 per class

-April-August Train Operator Classes 50 per class"

2 hours ago, noekozz said:

Where in NJ?  I'm in the same boat as you, close to the city right over the Hudson in WNY, NJ.    I have to report for my OPA on the 17th after waiting 8 years so I've got a lot of thinking to do.  If I was single with no kids I wouldn't think twice about it.   

As far as accommodations I highly doubt it.  The MTA is very punctual when it comes to time since the entire system revolves around it.  

I'm in Bogota NJ so not far from the city,and yea I don't know what to do if I get this position,I value time with my wife and kids and I know with the MTA it's basically gonna take a majority of my time away from them,money is is important but missed time with your family and the happiness you get from that is more important to me.if I was still in the Bronx it would of made it more easier on me.

31 minutes ago, tsanchez2828 said:

I'm in Bogota NJ so not far from the city,and yea I don't know what to do if I get this position,I value time with my wife and kids and I know with the MTA it's basically gonna take a majority of my time away from them,money is is important but missed time with your family and the happiness you get from that is more important to me.if I was still in the Bronx it would of made it more easier on me.

First of all, it's up to every person to weigh the risk and rewards..  Living in NJ you will definitely be doing a lot of driving to start out. You're hardly ever going to finish on time here. I live in Orange County NY and I will not take a metro North to work if the job is scheduled to end within 90 minutes of the last train out of the city.

I'm driving 1.5-2 hours a day each way and I'm making less money here. It's not necessarily always about money either - but retirement. I'm here for the long term benefits, healthcare and promotional opportunities.

You'll have to decide strategically if this will be better for the family long term. I think it will be great for mine but I understand the first few years is going to suck.

On 3/23/2023 at 8:02 PM, Elvis Gonzalez said:

So you get material that to study etc like books hand outs?...I ask because I have a very good job in the banking field that I'm willing to leave for this role...I got pre employment tomorrow...and I'm freaking out....do you recommend getting there very early!!

It's school. You're getting books, homework, instructors, tests and quizzes. Some of it's actually in a school building.

58 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Quick heads up guys and girls this was posted by the union VP

"Quick Information 

#1. Current staffing numbers for all 3 titles

We currently have deficits in all 3 titles:

-180+ Train Operators and Conductors      

-40 Tower Operators.

These numbers are subject to change due to attrition and promotion. 

#2. Projected promotion classes/new hire classes

-April, May and July Conductor Classes 50-60 per class

-April-August Train Operator Classes 50 per class"

Damn I did not think we still needed that many conductors/operators considering so many people are on board each day. I think transits getting ready for a big wave of retirements

3 hours ago, noekozz said:

I’m on the same boat as you. I have my opa on 4/20. It’s been so long since I took this exam now I have think if I should quit my current job to give this a shot. This will be def be rough from 3-5 years but pension will nice. 8 years ago I would’ve taken it but now I have to think 

1 hour ago, Pkk said:

I’m on the same boat as you. I have my opa on 4/20. It’s been so long since I took this exam now I have think if I should quit my current job to give this a shot. This will be def be rough from 3-5 years but pension will nice. 8 years ago I would’ve taken it but now I have to think 

What's your pension plan and medical benefits like on the current job? 

That usually answers the question for most people the easiest. 

8 minutes ago, Milano said:

What's your pension plan and medical benefits like on the current job? 

That usually answers the question for most people the easiest. 

Pay is higher than conductor top pay decent medical but no pension 

42 minutes ago, Pkk said:

Pay is higher than conductor top pay decent medical but no pension 

Well we've got zero deductible zero coinsurance  zero copay. Actually, there's a $100 copay for ER visit. That's about it. I feel a lot better with the pension, even though it's tier 6.. because our government seems to change their mind every 6 years what they want to do with our social security money.

That's definitely a rough cut on your pay, but you will get a lot of overtime here If you need to catch up. 

Does your current job have good paths for promotion? 

You want to play a little game to see how it would be? Take the cut in pay out of your current paychecks. Put it aside and don't use it. Stick it in savings. See how it is to live on about $900 take home a week.

5 hours ago, Milano said:

Well we've got zero deductible zero coinsurance  zero copay. Actually, there's a $100 copay for ER visit. That's about it. I feel a lot better with the pension, even though it's tier 6.. because our government seems to change their mind every 6 years what they want to do with our social security money.

That's definitely a rough cut on your pay, but you will get a lot of overtime here If you need to catch up. 

Does your current job have good paths for promotion? 

You want to play a little game to see how it would be? Take the cut in pay out of your current paychecks. Put it aside and don't use it. Stick it in savings. See how it is to live on about $900 take home a week.

What’s the starting pay for conductor? Do the new hires get thrown around all of nyc for the first few years? Work night and weekends? Is overtime mandatory? What’s the typical amount of hours a new hire conductor? Thank you

3 hours ago, Pkk said:

What’s the starting pay for conductor? Do the new hires get thrown around all of nyc for the first few years? Work night and weekends? Is overtime mandatory? What’s the typical amount of hours a new hire conductor? Thank you

starting is 24.32 an hour

Yes you will.be thrown around all of nyc until you can pick a job 

overtime is not mandatory but some jobs are naturally longer than 8 hours

40 a week guaranteed hours but there will be times you average more than that