Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

11 minutes ago, Darrius said:

Yes I'm also 77##s hope july

Yea my friend hopefully, it seems the classes are every two months, maybe they will have another class in September and November. Not sure but will see 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Spdagod55 said:

So my OPA exam is on Tuesday, I just want to know if they do the drug test on the same day. I’m a former weed smoker but since I got the letter I quit cold turkey. This call was completely unexpected. Haven’t smoked in about 2 months.

No they don't 

1 hour ago, Spdagod55 said:

So my OPA exam is on Tuesday, I just want to know if they do the drug test on the same day. I’m a former weed smoker but since I got the letter I quit cold turkey. This call was completely unexpected. Haven’t smoked in about 2 months.

Don't risk it. Don't smoke until you go to your OPA. It IS possible they drug test u that day if they need to quickly fill spots for a class. It says it clearly in your letter that they can drug test u immediately. 

1 minute ago, Jsalcedo718 said:

Don't risk it. Don't smoke until you go to your OPA. It IS possible they drug test u that day if they need to quickly fill spots for a class. It says it clearly in your letter that they can drug test u immediately. 

If he's just doing the OPA now, then his list number is probably so far back, it won't even matter.

15 minutes ago, Jsalcedo718 said:

To be on the safe side go to dollar tree or w.e and buy those weed test. If you're negative good if not keep not smoking and by the time you get the pre employment you'd be good. Don't ruin a good chance at a career for weed. I can't tell a grown adult how to live their lives but once you retire you can smokey all that Bob Marley you want.

@Spdagod55 AGAIN the drug test will NOT happen on the day you take the OPA.. There are lower list numbers that are still waiting to take the drug test. I’m in the 8000s took my OPA in February and have not taken a drug test because MTA is not up to my list number to even consider me for employment and there are hundreds of others like me waiting.

Official in! See you guys on the 22nd if anyone’s there, lol.

P.s I don’t think they give you informational materials in booklet form anymore over there. At least as far as for my title conductor because I’ve asked. 

However, you will get an email with 4 attachments: Rules, ethics, benefits & new employee info.. 2 attachments like 100 pages and then another 2 around 50pages.. are we suppose to print it out? 

Multiple people mentioned we can get the rule book at the first day of class but what about the other 3 attachments?

Wonder how long it will take to go through them all 🤣🤣🤣

19 minutes ago, alexx said:

P.s I don’t think they give you informational materials in booklet form anymore over there. At least as far as for my title conductor because I’ve asked. 

However, you will get an email with 4 attachments: Rules, ethics, benefits & new employee info.. 2 attachments like 100 pages and then another 2 around 50pages.. are we suppose to print it out? 

Multiple people mentioned we can get the rule book at the first day of class but what about the other 3 attachments?

Don't print those out, and any books that you will need you'll get in training just be prepared to have a heavy bag with all your books and tools. 

5 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Don't print those out, and any books that you will need you'll get in training just be prepared to have a heavy bag with all your books and tools. 

26 minutes ago, alexx said:

Congratulations!!!! 

2 hours ago, alexx said:

I'll be right there with ya...GOT THE EMAIL FOR MEDICAL AND BEING CONSIDERED FOR MAY 22ND CLASS! WAITED YEARS AND ITS FINALLY HAPPENING,FINGARS CROSSED THAT MY MEDICAL GOES SMOOTHLY.

By the way,what can I expect during the medical evaluation? Is there gonna be a drug test,read online that they are mostly looking for sleep apnea.

Edited by tsanchez2828

2 hours ago, alexx said:

What up Alex what's your list number range and congratulations 😄

12 minutes ago, tsanchez2828 said:

I'll be right there with ya...GOT THE EMAIL FOR MEDICAL AND BEING CONSIDERED FOR MAY 22ND CLASS! WAITED YEARS AND ITS FINALLY HAPPENING,FINGARS CROSSED THAT MY MEDICAL GOES SMOOTHLY.

By the way,what can I expect during the medical evaluation? Is there gonna be a drug test,read online that they are mostly looking for sleep apnea.

That's awesome, what's your list number range 

7 minutes ago, tsanchez2828 said:

75xx..was very surprised because I thought they were in the 73xx range at this time...and thanks Mohamed hopefully they get to you soon!

Really 75xx list number, they mad close to my list 77xx lol oh men getting nervous lol

I have a question for those on the job and what to expect if you pass the training. I’ve been thinking like leaning my head out the cabin and being exposed. I understand it’s very possible someone may hit you or throw something at you. How often have any of you conductors that have been doing the job encountered that? How is it working the late night shifts? Just asking to really get an honest feel for the job and ask at hand and ahead?

11 minutes ago, Canarsie88 said:

I have a question for those on the job and what to expect if you pass the training. I’ve been thinking like leaning my head out the cabin and being exposed. I understand it’s very possible someone may hit you or throw something at you. How often have any of you conductors that have been doing the job encountered that? How is it working the late night shifts? Just asking to really get an honest feel for the job and ask at hand and ahead?

Let's just say. If there's anyone who should get that Transamerica disability insurance they peddle at the union hall, it's conductors. Mind you it doesn't happen often, but you will have to be aware of people possibly spitting, throwing something, or hitting you while looking out the cab. Perhaps it's annoying, but wear your safety glasses as part of your required PPE.

Edited by Jericho

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Let's just say. If there's anyone who should get that Transamerica disability insurance they peddle at the union hall, it's conductors. Mind you it doesn't happen often, but you will have to be aware of people possibly spitting, throwing something, or hitting you while looking out the cab. Perhaps it's annoying, but wear your safety glasses as part of your required PPE.

Highly encourage safety glasses. And gloves. I actually like the cloth gloves with the rubber dimples on them more than the new black ones they hand out. They fit tighter for me and they feel less restrictive .

As long as you have glasses that cover the side of your eye as well as the front, go get your own if you're not comfortable with what MTA gives out. The ones they give, the standard ones, they have a weird glare for me and they give me a headache... I found Nemesis and Maverick safety glasses to work very well for me. I believe one is a Kimberly Clark product the other one is a 3M product. Just Google for it.

17 hours ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Good luck and hope to see you then!

Just think of it as a regular medical annual checkup, in additional with a vision/hearing test. All the basic stuff like height/weight/blood pressure/pain check/etc, Bunch of questionnaires, along with addition vision/hearing testing, along with basic sleep apnea detection and conditions.. I won't go into detail as to how it is being done and tested as I don't know if everyone has the same test or want to violate anything or what not but I'm pretty sure almost everyone will be fine if they have no problems with their regular doctor checkups.  

IT's pretty simple and straight forward but for any future people expecting medical, don't worry about it if you are fine in your regular annual checkups at doctor. As for everything else like hearing/vision test and sleep apnea, regardless if it is for the job or not, you should stay on top of it if you have any problems, otherwise, don't worry about it! 

17 hours ago, Mohamed said:

What up Alex what's your list number range and congratulations 😄

Thanks, early 7300's.. Good luck to you

16 hours ago, tsanchez2828 said:

75xx..was very surprised because I thought they were in the 73xx range at this time...and thanks Mohamed hopefully they get to you soon!

Wow, that's a huge jump in numbers, wonder what happened! I think so far we see 72xx's up to 73xx's being in for the 22nd class , let's see if you get in too. Been following this for a long time and never seen it jump so fast, Good luck again!

44 minutes ago, alexx said:

Just think of it as a regular medical annual checkup, in additional with a vision/hearing test. All the basic stuff like height/weight/blood pressure/pain check/etc, Bunch of questionnaires, along with addition vision/hearing testing, along with basic sleep apnea detection and conditions.. I won't go into detail as to how it is being done and tested as I don't know if everyone has the same test or want to violate anything or what not but I'm pretty sure almost everyone will be fine if they have no problems with their regular doctor checkups.  

IT's pretty simple and straight forward but for any future people expecting medical, don't worry about it if you are fine in your regular annual checkups at doctor. As for everything else like hearing/vision test and sleep apnea, regardless if it is for the job or not, you should stay on top of it if you have any problems, otherwise, don't worry about it! 

Wow, that's a huge jump in numbers, wonder what happened! I think so far we see 72xx's up to 73xx's being in for the 22nd class , let's see if you get in too. Been following this for a long time and never seen it jump so fast, Good luck again!

Thanks buddy,also were you sworn in the same day? and any ideas what time of the day the classes will be and is it Monday thru Friday? Just wanna get the heads up so I can know when to give my current employer notice of me leaving if all goes well when I go in for medical.thanks in advance 

9 minutes ago, tsanchez2828 said:

Thanks buddy,also were you sworn in the same day? and any ideas what time of the day the classes will be and is it Monday thru Friday? Just wanna get the heads up so I can know when to give my current employer notice of me leaving if all goes well when I go in for medical.thanks in advance 

Yes, most likely, most people are getting sworn in the same day as medical as long as they completed everything and have no hold ups for whatever reason, mainly being sleep apnea. I do not know when classes They do say to not quit your current job until you are hire.

From what I've seen here,  it is more common that people going in for medical are normally being set up for the upcoming class..  Not common that you will be called for medical and fully complete it without being sworn in. There is a minimum of a 2 week apart from hiring and your class so handing in your resignation which is the normal etiquette for quitting but NYS law does not apply to it. If you breach a company contract or something then that's a different story.

1 hour ago, alexx said:

People died from COVID-19, moved, got better jobs, became incarcerated, got married... Lots of things happened in 7 years lol. It's not a big surprise when you think about it .   😁

5 hours ago, alexx said:

Edited by Bolo
Posted in wrong area