Mayor vows to act against women wearing body paint in Times Square.

DaTransitMan4608

I agree, why were they even built in the first place, while they are at it RIP THEM ALL OUT! 

In theory, having pedestrian only areas makes sense. Many major European metropolises offer such things in their city centres. It sounds as though their implementation into NYC has been problematic though...

In theory, having pedestrian only areas makes sense. Many major European metropolises offer such things in their city centres. It sounds as though their implementation into NYC has been problematic though...

They're great in Europe.  When I lived in Italy, I would hang out with friends in some of my favorite plazas in Florence, but Western Europe doesn't have such rampant homelessness the way NYC does, Manhattan in particular.  The homeless literally set up shop by every vacant store, plaza, park or public place, and it has really gotten out of control.  De Blasio is in denial about it, but that's another reason I think he wants to get rid of these plazas.  It doesn't look good for the tourists and it also just makes everything that much dirtier.  I was walking on Park Avenue this morning in the 50s heading to a coffee spot for an espresso and a vacant building once occupied by American Express had a homeless guy in front of it who ate and conveniently left food strewn all over the sidewalk. Just what we need to have during a disgusting humid hot day in NYC.  <_<

The homeless issue used to be more contained, but now it is clearly visible, even on the most expensive avenues/streets. On Park, 5th, Madison, etc.

As easy as it is to walk around the city, it isn't worth completely ruining traffic flow through one of the busiest intersections in the country.

It's never been easy to walk in Times Square. Not sure where you got that idea from.  What has become perpetually worse is traffic flow for sure in that area. Always takes a good 10  minutes to get through there even late at night.  I've been on express buses coming through there at 23:00 or so and the traffic was insane.

I love how some are calling this "prostitution" when the "pimps" are only getting 30% of the costs. Normally from what I've learned from MSNBC on the sex trade industry, the pimp would get all the money and the girl got none.

Only 30%?  And tell me what the guy is doing aside from painting these chicks breasts and "fending off creeps" (according to the pimp). The guy is pathetic.  He even has his girlfriend out there working the plaza and she's pregnant with his baby. 

I don't want ANY naked, or topless woman parading around in public anywhere near me - For various reasons I won't get into right this second....

Just call it prostitution :)

Lol.... Late 20th century times square.... Hell, IIRC, you still got some of those arab owned XXX places along 42nd around on the west side.... Not that I care, but how those places are still in business when you have the gargantuan amounts of smut being peddled on the internet, is beyond me.....

I don't venture around TSQ much these days, so I haven't heard about this (same deal went for those costumed nuts before I heard about that the news when that was a story (aggressive panhandling & what not)).... But as soon as I did, I shit you not - The first thing that came to mind was 1970's/80's Times square.....

Weren't the pedestrian plazas made to change the flow of traffic in Midtown or something? I forgot why they were there.

To be blunt, pandering to hipsterism & tourism.....

I refuse to believe that Bloomberg had these ped. malls

heck i also forgot to add when did nyc become pedestrian friendly   it was never pedestrian friendly in my days

When it became HEAVILY tourist friendly....

...and reliant.

I love how some are calling this "prostitution" when the "pimps" are only getting 30% of the costs. Normally from what I've learned from MSNBC on the sex trade industry, the pimp would get all the money and the girl got none.

21st century males (can't even dub them men) having gotten soft maybe....

• 4 weeks later...

time to bump this again, i dont care that being topless is legal, i believe this is a public nusance and they should be arrested, hell arrest the mother for endangering the welfare of her child . what other charges could come about?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/painted-tot-shock-naked-times-square-ma-sick-mini-me-trip-article-1.2360621

time to bump this again, i dont care that being topless is legal, i believe this is a public nusance and they should be arrested, hell arrest the mother for endangering the welfare of her child . what other charges could come about?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/painted-tot-shock-naked-times-square-ma-sick-mini-me-trip-article-1.2360621

Yeah this I agree with. I don't know what she was thinking here, but she should've left the child at home. 

And on a related note, this just goes to show that they are not the primary problem here. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/09/12/topless-painted-woman-punched/

Archived