Buses on BusTime With Incorrect Destination Signage

Via Garibaldi 8

I thought it was the code punchdd into the destination sign control panel, not the farebox, that determined the routing on Bustime?

Regardless, on the QM1/5/6 I've noticed that buses heading towards Manhattan with a queens-bound destination sign will not show up on Bustime which is a real problem since it happens fairly often.

The sign is linked to the farebox for transfer priviliges, so either keypad works. 

I thought it was the code punchdd into the destination sign control panel, not the farebox, that determined the routing on Bustime?

Regardless, on the QM1/5/6 I've noticed that buses heading towards Manhattan with a queens-bound destination sign will not show up on Bustime which is a real problem since it happens fairly often.

That sounds deliberate.

That sounds deliberate.

With the QM's it likely is.  Those guys out of CP are a trip.  Getting a late night QM express bus from Northern Queens can be a challenge.  If they do actually come and are on BusTime, then you have to hail them down, unless of course you're a female, then they'll stop for you at the curb as they should.  The sexism displayed by some of those drivers is utterly disgusting.  

CP is a sausage fest.  That's the only depot that I've NEVER seen a female driver out of.  No wonder we men have such a hard time getting express buses in Queens late at night.  <_<

With the QM's it likely is. Those guys out of CP are a trip. Getting a late night QM express bus from Northern Queens can be a challenge. If they do actually come and are on BusTime, then you have to hail them down, unless of course you're a female, then they'll stop for you at the curb as they should. The sexism displayed by some of those drivers is utterly disgusting.

CP is a sausage fest. That's the only depot that I've NEVER seen a female driver out of. No wonder we men have such a hard time getting express buses in Queens late at night. <_<

There are female drivers at CP. I always see a few on the Q38. As a matter of a fact, the driver I get on the Q38 every morning is female. On the express, I only know of one who always tends to do express runs on some weekdays and/or weekends.

There are female drivers at CP. I always see a few on the Q38. As a matter of a fact, the driver I get on the Q38 every morning is female. On the express, I only know of one who always tends to do express runs on some weekdays and/or weekends.

I have yet to see one on the express bus runs, which was really what I was referring to.  I don't use the local buses out of CP.  I have to say on the QM15 I have so far had courteous drivers (both male and female).  Pull into the curb, kneel the bus and all of that. 

CP female driver are usually better they are much more respectful and do their job right got this one lady driving the QM20 and she was the one that explained the whole reroute on the Qm20 (when I confirmed it for Garibaldi)

I have yet to see one on the express bus runs, which was really what I was referring to. I don't use the local buses out of CP. I have to say on the QM15 I have so far had courteous drivers (both male and female). Pull into the curb, kneel the bus and all of that.

I've had a fair number of female B\O's on the QM1/5/6. In fact, its the only depot I've encountered so far with White female bus ops

The sign is linked to the farebox for transfer priviliges, so either keypad works.

Thnx!

I've had a fair number of female B\O's on the QM1/5/6. In fact, its the only depot I've encountered so far with White female bus ops

lol... You mentioned that before... Interesting indeed....

Well I got a response to my complaint.  I want to see what if anything will happen.  I got a response saying that the following:

We have notified Department of Buses Road Operations Unit and requested that they give increased attention to the route [bxM1] during evening hours. 

Only problem is I was complaining specifically about the morning rush. lol  They then stated that regarding BusTime, they forwarded my e-mail to the appropriate personnel for review.  

I will say that I've found the BusTime folks to be pretty responsive, so I'm curious to see how they handle the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I attempted to x-fer to the Bxm18, which hit or miss. Either theres one riding down 5th in close proximity to me or I'm in the awkward uneven gap between buses (usually the latter).

Checked Bustime when my BxM3 got to 96 St and there were 2 well in front of me (at 70 and 57 sts) and none behind (I assumed the operators behind were using the Harlem River b/c of traffic as the buses won't show up). Somehow both buses end up hitting 34 St at roughly the same time. The leader continues past 26 St but the second bus stops at 31 Street and doesn't move. Now I've seen some B/Os waiting 2-3 mins @ 26 St for transferring passengers but 12 mins made no sense especially not at a stop. Passing 31 St I saw the bus laid over with another bus, a few people were waiting @ 26 because it was still displaying as less than 1 min. There was another 12 mins behind but I opted for the R train. I have no clue why the bus went OOS but is an OOS bus supposed to show up on the route ? 

This morning I attempted to x-fer to the Bxm18, which hit or miss. Either theres one riding down 5th in close proximity to me or I'm in the awkward uneven gap between buses (usually the latter).

Checked Bustime when my BxM3 got to 96 St and there were 2 well in front of me (at 70 and 57 sts) and none behind (I assumed the operators behind were using the Harlem River b/c of traffic as the buses won't show up). Somehow both buses end up hitting 34 St at roughly the same time. The leader continues past 26 St but the second bus stops at 31 Street and doesn't move. Now I've seen some B/Os waiting 2-3 mins @ 26 St for transferring passengers but 12 mins made no sense especially not at a stop. Passing 31 St I saw the bus laid over with another bus, a few people were waiting @ 26 because it was still displaying as less than 1 min. There was another 12 mins behind but I opted for the R train. I have no clue why the bus went OOS but is an OOS bus supposed to show up on the route ?

A OOS will show up if the B/O leaves the tracking device on, which happens a lot. Also you have to be careful with the BxM18. Northbound I've seen cases where there were supposedly two buses back to back and then one disappears, which means it's either a BxM18 deadheading or something along those lines. I've also been on the BxM2's where the driver was so clueless that he left the terminal at the wrong time with another BxM2, picked us up and then realized he goofed, dropped us off to get on the other BxM2 and then went OOS along 6th and went back down 7th to layover once again. lol

Southbound, yes BxM18's do all sorts of things because they sometimes get slammed along 5th. Additionally, ridership Downtown can be hit or miss, especially if the buses are bunched and late, so they may not go all the way Downtown. It's really the Midtown riders keeping that bus a float though you do have your Downtown folks and those that transfer to it.

CP female driver are usually better they are much more respectful and do their job right got this one lady driving the QM20 and she was the one that explained the whole reroute on the Qm20 (when I confirmed it for Garibaldi)

Not all of them. CP have one nasty Indian looking Trinidad or Guyana woman who work QM5 who curse out passengers who want to go to the end of line and does not do her job right. 

Not all of them. CP have one nasty Indian looking Trinidad or Guyana woman who work QM5 who curse out passengers who want to go to the end of line...

The last stop is still a stop and still fair game for any passenger. If she refuses to go there, report her (make sure to include bus #, run #, time, location).

The last stop is still a stop and still fair game for any passenger. If she refuses to go there, report her (make sure to include bus #, run #, time, location).

Exactly.  I would go one further and threaten to file a discrimination complaint.  I had a guy on the QM2 that practically bypassed me.  He was the last bus of the night from Whitestone, and when I got on, I was furious. It was bitter cold out that night and I had bags from shopping so I was not pleased to have to walk to get him in the street, and then he didn't even kneel the damn bus, after practically driving past me. He just looked at me like everything was business as usual.  Not only did I give him a few choice words when I got on, but I gave it to him again when I got off at 6th & 36th, and I told him that I was sending a certified letter to a higher up, informing them of how he bypassed me and explained to him how it was discrimination. When he heard that, his tone changed instantly.  Claimed that he didn't see the bus stop.  I told him please.  The bus stop is there as clear as day with the QM2 signage and the other buses that stopped there, and it's his responsibility to know where the stops are located. As soon as I got home, I put my laptop on, typed that letter, finalized it the next day, and walked to the post office from my office to have it sent certified mail.

Exactly.  I would go one further and threaten to file a discrimination complaint.  I had a guy on the QM2 that practically bypassed me.  He was the last bus of the night from Whitestone, and when I got on, I was furious. It was bitter cold out that night and I had bags from shopping so I was not pleased to have to walk to get him in the street, and then he didn't even kneel the damn bus, after practically driving past me. He just looked at me like everything was business as usual.  Not only did I give him a few choice words when I got on, but I gave it to him again when I got off at 6th & 36th, and I told him that I was sending a certified letter to a higher up, informing them of how he bypassed me and explained to him how it was discrimination. When he heard that, his tone changed instantly.  Claimed that he didn't see the bus stop.  I told him please.  The bus stop is there as clear as day with the QM2 signage and the other buses that stopped there, and it's his responsibility to know where the stops are located. As soon as I got home, I put my laptop on, typed that letter, finalized it the next day, and walked to the post office from my office to have it sent certified mail.

Can you please send in my complaints so much more professional than my emails lol

Archived