R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

22 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Right. They might mix them to move them in the yard or if one train of type of R211s is disabled and they need another train to push it. But I can’t possibly fathom them running an R211A and R211T set in the same train in passenger service. 

But in theory that mix could run in passenger service. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

But in theory that mix could run in passenger service. 

And "in theory" I could go to work in my Cinderella cosplay gown. "In theory" can be used to try to justify a lot of things that just simply won't happen in practice. As i said, that is not how the folks at Car Equpiment do things. They LIKE uniformity, and nothing says the exact opposite of that like coupling a 211A to a 211T and trying to run them in service.

9 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

It appeared to me that the taillights were illuminated in the middle of the train on the R142.  That tells me that the R179 was pushing the R142. That means the electric portions in between the units did not come together.  If they were MU-ing  the taillights would not have been illuminated,

So this essentially means that the R179 had more power in this scenario, right? 'cause we know either way this would only happen during yard moves. Apologies in advance if my post is worded incorrectly.

10 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

So this essentially means that the R179 had more power in this scenario, right? 'cause we know either way this would only happen during yard moves. Apologies in advance if my post is worded incorrectly.

The 179 had ALL the power, the 142 was dead. You can clearly tell is that there is no motor noise coming from the 142. It only shows up once the 179 exits the portal. 

for an operation such as this, you would have a qualified crew member, such as myself, riding in the leading cab of the 142. I would be constantly communicating via radio with the train operating crew member (could be a TO. could be a TSS), feeding them information on the status of the line ahead. 

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

And "in theory" I could go to work in my Cinderella cosplay gown. "In theory" can be used to try to justify a lot of things that just simply won't happen in practice. As i said, that is not how the folks at Car Equpiment do things. They LIKE uniformity, and nothing says the exact opposite of that like coupling a 211A to a 211T and trying to run them in service.

It would be a funny April Fools prank if they ran a mixed consist. Unfortunately, public agencies would probably get too much backlash for April Fools pranks that could inconvenience people or even be dangerous.

4 hours ago, foggymetro said:

All right, enough off-topic nonsense. Isn't this the R211 Discussion Thread?

Yes it is. And on that note, let me help get back to the topic at hand.

So all of the R211 variants (R211A, R211T-1, R211T-2 & R211S) are here now, which is good news. The 211a pilot to my current knowledge is still OOS for propulsion issues. Hopefully that gets resolved soon; but again, we must be patient and let the professionals handle it. 

2 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

So all of the R211 variants (R211A, R211T-1, R211T-2 & R211S) are here now, which is good news. The 211a pilot to my current knowledge is still OOS for propulsion issues. Hopefully that gets resolved soon; but again, we must be patient and let the professionals handle it. 

Hopefully if everything goes well and it passes another 30 day test, we can get things rolling quickly. I wanna see the 211s in numbers!

7 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

It was reported to have been last seen at Fulton St (A)(C) moving uptown, presumably to 207th Street Yard. Yes, the pilot (4060-4064, 4069-4065).

9 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Theres about 2 more sets of R211A’s here as the plan is to have 5 sets ready when the pilot passes. 

Thanks for bringing us back to the Topic 

17 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

At least i got us talking about the R211 class again. 

16 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Hopefully if everything goes well and it passes another 30 day test, we can get things rolling quickly. I wanna see the 211s in numbers!

Yes I do as well.

9 hours ago, foggymetro said:

It was reported to have been last seen at Fulton St (A)(C) moving uptown, presumably to 207th Street Yard. Yes, the pilot (4060-4064, 4069-4065).

Most likely getting work done.

7 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

Theres about 2 more sets of R211A’s here as the plan is to have 5 sets ready when the pilot passes. 

Thanks for bringing us back to the Topic 

Yea I know. I just wonder how many production sets will be here before the pilot set finally passes.

So are the R211’s back in service or are they still “Fixing propulsion issues”?? Seems very exaggerated how much time is being wasted to fix one issue, someone clarify to me what and where is the issue located, maybe I’ll change my mind

48 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

So are the R211’s back in service or are they still “Fixing propulsion issues”?? Seems very exaggerated how much time is being wasted to fix one issue, someone clarify to me what and where is the issue located, maybe I’ll change my mind

If anybody here really knew what the issue and timing was we'd have heard already.  It is just like when everybody here was saying June for the testing and instead it started the next day.  It is all speculation here. 

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

man dont talk about time wasted when you have no idea what youre talking about. Theyll re-enter service when theyre ready

53 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Seems very exaggerated how much time is being wasted to fix one issue, someone clarify to me what and where is the issue located, maybe I’ll change my mind

It will be back on the road when Car Equipment and the Kawasaki techs say it's ready. 

Could you guys, like, just accept that sometimes there are things we're not supposed to share, even if we knew. Which we don't anyway, but that's beside the point. Last time I checked no one from DCE hangs out here on a regular basis, you just have us RTO folks, and last time I checked, the nearest one of us to that train when it all went wrong was me, and I was a few miles away working a on D train. 

So we do not know exactly what happened. We know that it was a propulsion system issue and in theory, that could have been anything, up to and including something that damaged the train, but was not caused by the train.

Just as an example of what I mean by that:

Several years ago, BART had a problem where there was a voltage spike on the Yellow Line between it's second to last and last stops, where the voltage somehow doubled and overloaded the DC traction motors on the C type cars. Their resister grids were out of the circuit, and you suddenly had 1kv DC turning into 2kv. Boom! bye-bye motors. the other cars us AC traction so this didn't harm them, it was just the still DC equipped C type cars. 
https://abc7news.com/normal-train-service-bart-stations-repair-work/1273495/

15 minutes ago, zacster said:

If anybody here really knew what the issue and timing was we'd have heard already.  It is just like when everybody here was saying June for the testing and instead it started the next day.  It is all speculation here. 

that wasn't speciation, that was straight from supervisions mouth. 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

It will be back on the road when Car Equipment and the Kawasaki techs say it's ready. 

Could you guys, like, just accept that sometimes there are things we're not supposed to share, even if we knew. Which we don't anyway, but that's beside the point. Last time I checked no one from DCE hangs out here on a regular basis, you just have us RTO folks, and last time I checked, the nearest one of us to that train when it all went wrong was me, and I was a few miles away working a on D train. 

So we do not know exactly what happened. We know that it was a propulsion system issue and in theory, that could have been anything, up to and including something that damaged the train, but was not caused by the train.

What happened to the R211 pilot set? I’ve heard it’s been out of service due to propulsion problems but damage? I thought it just stalled out on a grade and they’re finding out why

1 hour ago, zacster said:

But it was also wrong, maybe misinformation to keep the foamers away. 

No, that was an on the clock conversation between myself and a TSS who was literally in the process of certifying me to crew an R211. 

I asked him if he knew when they’d be on the road and he said “may-June-ish”

28 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

What happened to the R211 pilot set? I’ve heard it’s been out of service due to propulsion problems but damage? I thought it just stalled out on a grade and they’re finding out why

… multiple times I said “we who work for transit don’t even know”. I then said it could be anything, and began to discuss a worse case scenario. Don’t make me think you’re only reading bits and pieces of what I said.