Cool fantasy map

TheNewYorkElevated

What if the (W) was terminated at City Hall?

Unless the (R) and the (W) together are less than 15TPH, not likely. Even if it did work, three full services sharing a track has usually proven not to be a good idea where it's done. It's also doubtful as to whether 4th avenue needs a full 15TPH.

Terminating the (R) would lead to the same problems, and you probably can't even turn around the (E) at Whitehall (and extending the (E) two stops is pretty pointless)

Unless the (R) and the (W) together are less than 15TPH, not likely. Even if it did work, three full services sharing a track has usually proven not to be a good idea where it's done. It's also doubtful as to whether 4th avenue needs a full 15TPH.

Terminating the (R) would lead to the same problems, and you probably can't even turn around the (E) at Whitehall (and extending the (E) two stops is pretty pointless)

I was thinking of something slightly more interesting. Granted this is theoretical but it's an attempt to fix the super-long (R) problem.

1) (W) goes from Astoria to City Hall lower level. The (MTA) would have to finish the construction/reconstruct the lower level to make it fit for revenue service, but that's pretty minor work at the end of the day.

2) (R) goes from Jamaica-179th to Whitehall St most times, with maybe some extension into Brooklyn during Rush Hours if service demands.

3) (E) goes from Jamaica Center to Bay Ridge as a local in Brooklyn via Montague St with the short connector tunnel. 

An alternative plan would have the (R) unchanged, and have the (E) extend along West End to Bay Parkway like the old <M> did, but I don't know who beneficial that would be.

So in this hypothetical map the (D) line would the the only subway to transverse the 4 boroughs of NYC and possibly the longest

Today NO subway traverse 4 boroughs however the (A) line is by fact almost close to becoming a tetra line since at Inwood 207 st it ONLY connects to Bronx numbered buses and to the fact that the Bronx is a walk away at 6 long blocks due east

I was thinking of something slightly more interesting. Granted this is theoretical but it's an attempt to fix the super-long (R) problem.

1)  (W) goes from Astoria to City Hall lower level. The (MTA) would have to finish the construction/reconstruct the lower level to make it fit for revenue service, but that's pretty minor work at the end of the day.

2) (R) goes from Jamaica-179th to Whitehall St most times, with maybe some extension into Brooklyn during Rush Hours if service demands.

3) (E) goes from Jamaica Center to Bay Ridge as a local in Brooklyn via Montague St with the short connector tunnel. 

An alternative plan would have the (R) unchanged, and have the (E) extend along West End to Bay Parkway like the old <M> did, but I don't know who beneficial that would be.

Personally, I am wary of any alternative that requires the (E) going through DeKalb Junction, because reliability. The (E) plus the (R) on the 4th Av local is overkill. There is also no reason to expect City Hall to be renovated, which would probably be very expensive and would also remove a safe place to stage (W) trains from.

So in this hypothetical map the (D) line would the the only subway to transverse the 4 boroughs of NYC and possibly the longest

The CC and later the (C) ran from Bedford Park in the Bronx to the Rockaways as a full local in the 1970s and '80s. That was the longest route.

Archived