MTA Quietly Begins Testing Wi-Fi Service in Subway Cars

pjbr40

Day one of what? Because those cars never had them when they were new. Definitely never had them between 2008 and 2010!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I must be thinking of the wrong R160's then cause I know some got cameras as part of a pilot program a while back.

I'm definitely a proponent of having wi-fi on the subway cars. I'm not really the selfie, Snapchat kind of guy, but most of my texting is done via wi-fi/4G LTE (iMessage on the iPhone). My phone's also set up to automatically have regular phone calls via wi-fi if it's available. Wi-fi on subway cars isn't my first choice (I prefer metro systems that have full cell phone signal underground), but I'll take it.  

On a sidenote, I notice some of the older R160s(8713-8722 to be exact) on the N and Q with cameras built next to the interior display signs. How long has that been going for?

Those were probably the test cars for the foldable seats and cameras on the E some time ago. 

• 3 weeks later...

Pulled from another thread VG8

"Let's try to stay on topic... This is supposed to be about the future of the NYC transit system... My responses have been on that.  From a technological standpoint, there has been some improvement in terms of being able to see when trains are due, and having Wi-Fi in some stations, but I would much rather have a faster commute when I use the subway.   Commute times have worsened considerably. Took the  (Q) train on Saturday and what should've been a 45 minute commute was almost double that and this was rather early in the morning too.  I would argue that all of these little conveniences are a ploy to draw attention away from what commuters are using the system for, which is to get from point A to point B quickly, but if your train is crawling and you have Wi-Fi access, well maybe your average commuter may forget about how slow the ride is."

Just to talk more about what we pitched to the MTA. We designed a mesh networking system that would allow for riders to be updated on there location in realtime while on the subway.. Ie Jane is riding from SoHo to Museum of Natural History. She would get up to, the second updates even underground via alerts  "Your stop is 3 stations away"... "Your are approaching you station".. "Transfer here to a, Queens bound (N) train. Realtime service update's and, reroutes with navi.. "Alert there no Brooklyn (C) service.. Use the (F) "  All without Cellular and some cases with just Bluetooth LE and using the trains dopler system.  So WiFi access isn't just about web and social it's about mapping the underground world and, allow riders to navigate quickly and effectively.. Part of the presentation below

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/acenyc4/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-27%20at%202.40.31%20PM_zpsffkc0z28.png

Pulled from another thread VG8

"Let's try to stay on topic... This is supposed to be about the future of the NYC transit system... My responses have been on that.  From a technological standpoint, there has been some improvement in terms of being able to see when trains are due, and having Wi-Fi in some stations, but I would much rather have a faster commute when I use the subway.   Commute times have worsened considerably. Took the  (Q) train on Saturday and what should've been a 45 minute commute was almost double that and this was rather early in the morning too.  I would argue that all of these little conveniences are a ploy to draw attention away from what commuters are using the system for, which is to get from point A to point B quickly, but if your train is crawling and you have Wi-Fi access, well maybe your average commuter may forget about how slow the ride is."

Just to talk more about what we pitched to the MTA. We designed a mesh networking system that would allow for riders to be updated on there location in realtime while on the subway.. Ie Jane is riding from SoHo to Museum of Natural History. She would get up to, the second updates even underground via alerts  "Your stop is 3 stations away"... "Your are approaching you station".. "Transfer here to a, Queens bound (N) train. Realtime service update's and, reroutes with navi.. "Alert there no Brooklyn (C) service.. Use the (F) "  All without Cellular and some cases with just Bluetooth LE and using the trains dopler system.  So WiFi access isn't just about web and social it's about mapping the underground world and, allow riders to navigate quickly and effectively.. Part of the presentation below

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/acenyc4/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-27%20at%202.40.31%20PM_zpsffkc0z28.png

While you are correct, this so called improvement will just make passengers even lazier than they are already.  Most people are not using the web on the subway for up-to-date info... Most are listening to music, or playing games of some sort on their phones.

While you are correct, this so called improvement will just make passengers even lazier than they are already.  Most people are not using the web on the subway for up-to-date info... Most are listening to music, or playing games of some sort on their phones.

Not really the web no http protocols involved. It's a push notification system the user interacts with the system no different a text or email push notification. Doesn't take them away, from anything there currently doing. Unless wanted.. 60% of the information is pushed, by subway car itself and the onboard system. Via WiFi or BLE. The current rolling stock wasn't fully up to snuff yet.. Something where trying to talk to MTA in LA about as well..

Phase 1  Push information

Train/Car (Access Points)

• Current Station
  • Next Station
  • Transfers
  • Distance
  • Route
  • Direction
  • Announcement

Outside the subway car (Station access points)

• Points of interest
  • Transfer and exit information 
  • Service information and changes

Lazier how is this any different from using Google Map's? In fact it uses the GMAPS/ API to allow turn by turn..stop by stop underground as well.. So you don't use Google Maps to find anything? Always though the great thing about mobile phones and navigation being able to explore and getting information on everything about the world around us. Great technology should be helpful and empowering take some of pains out of life. don't you think?  It's almost like someone arguing the point that moving away, from walking and horses to A Car would make us lazier because there's less steps involved. 

Not really the web no http protocols involved. It's a push notification system the user interacts with the system no different a text or email push notification. Doesn't take them away, from anything there currently doing. Unless wanted.. 60% of the information is pushed, by subway car itself and the onboard system. Via WiFi or BLE. The current rolling stock wasn't fully up to snuff yet.. Something where trying to talk to MTA in LA about as well..

Phase 1  Push information

Train/Car (Access Points)

• Current Station
  • Next Station
  • Transfers
  • Distance
  • Route
  • Direction
  • Announcement

Outside the subway (Station access points)

• Points of interest
  • Transfer and exit information 
  • Service information and changes

Lazier how is this any different from using Google Map's? In fact it uses the GMAPS/ API to allow turn by turn..stop by stop underground as well.. So you don't use Google Maps to find anything? Always though the great thing about mobile phones and navigation being able to explore and getting information on everything about the world around us. Great technology should be helpful and empowering take some of pains out of life. don't you think?  It's almost like someone arguing the point that moving away, from walking and horses to A Car would make us lazier because there's less steps involved. 

Dude I already explained.  You do this nonsense constantly like you don't understand what I'm saying.  I'm not explaining any further.  What I stated is clear enough.  If you choose to continue to ignore it, then that's on you.

Dude I already explained.  You do this nonsense constantly like you don't understand what I'm saying.  I'm not explaining any further.  What I stated is clear enough.  If you choose to continue to ignore it, then that's on you.

No problem nothing more to be said it's on me then. And for the record the Internet and the Web are two different things.

That may be, but I fail to see why that should be a deterrent to keeping up with the times and providing the same services underground that's available above ground from every cable provider and now the city of New York itself. It's not the MTA's job to keep people from becoming lazier.

That may be, but I fail to see why that should be a deterrent to keeping up with the times and providing the same services underground that's available above ground from every cable provider and now the city of New York itself. It's not the MTA's job to keep people from becoming lazier.

I never said it was.  I just don't think it will be helping most commuters.  We've had numerous technological advances to make commuting easier, and while some are taking advantage of it, a good portion of people aren't.  

Archived