New York City's MTA issues advisory Pokemon players

Q23 via 108

I can assure you, nothing lasts forever.

As a fella with many personalities, including gaming, I can say that Nintendo is one of the most powerful companies out there. Pokemon is one of the most marketed items in nintendo. It may die out eventually, but this will be a summer that will be spent with stories of how today's generation finally goes outside and their/our worlds changed forever.

As a fella with many personalities, including gaming, I can say that Nintendo is one of the most powerful companies out there. Pokemon is one of the most marketed items in nintendo. It may die out eventually, but this will be a summer that will be spent with stories of how today's generation finally goes outside and their/our worlds changed forever.

Well I grew up on Nintendo, Sega and all of that good stuff. It's funny to see these old things making a come back, but even with these games, we still went out and played, even if it was in an arcade and interacted.  When I'm and out about walking I'm one of the few people that doesn't walk with their cell phone out.  It is definitely a generational thing, and technically I'm part of the millennial crowd, but I just refuse to be sucked in to some of these things. I made a rule with myself not to walk and use the cell phone.  I only use it if I'm in a stationary area or am walking and talking on the phone, but no walking and texting.  There have been quite a few stories of people being set up with this Pokémon Go game and beaten up or robbed.  Hopefully people use commonsense...

Oh. You're one of those...

Anyway, people were inattentive before the app. People are going to continue.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Don't judge me. I played it when it just Pokemon Red and Blue on Game Boy

People already have quit their jobs to play the game (They had one in the news about it a couple days ago).

I used to play Yugioh TCG & it wasn't uncommon to hear of this very thing (quitting gainful employment to become a "professional duelist")... Personally I find going to such extremes to be quite ridiculous.....

The people who grew up with Pokemon are now old enough to have disposable income (but not so old that they need to pay for big-ticket items for their kids like college tuition). Couple that with the fact that this is one of the first Augmented Reality games in existence, and that it's based around a really strong brand built on exploring the world to "catch em' all", and there was really no way this couldn't print money.

Good explanation.....

The hype is that fans, like me, have been waiting for something like this for two decades. It's bringing people together and getting people out again. I've never talked to do many new people in my life.

Cool....

An app would not make a difference.  The people I speak with or chat with I would regardless of an app.  I find the whole thing silly.   And no I don't think I'm better than anyone else.  It's just that these sorts of apps make more people introverted over time and that alone scares me.

As an introvert, I understand it.... But at the same time, I'm a bit of a misanthrope, so I also find it all a little silly....

This is taking it way too damn far, I'm sorry....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=532cdHMdrHY

We're not in the South, where everyone says hi to each other on the street even if it's a total stranger.

You got me on that one.... I thought southern hospitality (much like chivalry) was dead....

My point is that we now live in a society where fewer people can even speak to each other without some app or something else "bringing them together", and that to me is worrisome.  We as people should be able to interact naturally without having to rely on technology.  Trying to excuse the idea that it's okay for people to walk around with the heads buried in their phones with hoards of people around them is equally troubling.

I get what you're driving at, but that part of it really doesn't bother me.... As long as it isn't me, I don't care who you pester with useless small talk.... Interacting naturally comes with a lot of flirting, small talk, a bunch of who shot john about how their living life, the list goes on.... I don't want to be bothered with that.... A good meaningful conversation OTOH, I'm all in....

At the end of the day, people are fickle... Very few people have depth.... So I'm not going to wholly knock these kids for not wanting to talk to people for the sake of doing so..... Whether the technological age is creating more introverts or not, I can't say.....

Well I grew up on Nintendo, Sega and all of that good stuff. It's funny to see these old things making a come back, but even with these games, we still went out and played, even if it was in an arcade and interacted.  When I'm and out about walking I'm one of the few people that doesn't walk with their cell phone out.  It is definitely a generational thing, and technically I'm part of the millennial crowd, but I just refuse to be sucked in to some of these things. I made a rule with myself not to walk and use the cell phone.  I only use it if I'm in a stationary area or am walking and talking on the phone, but no walking and texting.  There have been quite a few stories of people being set up with this Pokémon Go game and beaten up or robbed.  Hopefully people use commonsense...

It's funny that those old systems are making a comeback, but my own brother tells me that he enjoys playing my old Genesis games (yeah, dam thing still works, believe it or not) than his own PS3 games..... To me that says enough....

Think I said this to you before.... Yes, we're both on the cusp of being Gen X'ers & Millennials, but personally I don't consider myself a millennial (but I do get why they are the way they are).... Gen X-ers failed Millennials on a lesser scale than Gen X-ers were by the "Me generation" (Baby boomers); we're (by that I mean Gen X-ers) not called the loner generation for nothing.... Millennials generally don't talk about Baby boomers... I have a certain hatred for the way some folks born in that generation just left their offspring to the wayside of lot of them did.... They got their 40 acres & a mule & we get accused of being lazy (for the various reasons that they give - which a lot of them to me is BS, but that's neither here nor there).... I mean hell, it's no secret that people in their 30 & 40's now aren't buying homes the way our mommies/daddies were when they were our age.... Blame it on population influx, it doesn't really matter at this point.... Not that this is news to you, but I'm telling you now, come 20 years from now when we're in our 50's, you think the homeless problem is bad now (I'm not just talking about NYC either).... Maaaannn...

Anyway, I generally agree with what you say here, but at the same time, the one thing I do respect about these millennials is that they are progressive.... In this technological age, they pretty much have to be.

...and with that, I am out.

I get what you're driving at, but that part of it really doesn't bother me.... As long as it isn't me, I don't care who you pester with useless small talk.... Interacting naturally comes with a lot of flirting, small talk, a bunch of who shot john about how their living life, the list goes on.... I don't want to be bothered with that.... A good meaningful conversation OTOH, I'm all in....

At the end of the day, people are fickle... Very few people have depth.... So I'm not going to wholly knock these kids for not wanting to talk to people for the sake of doing so..... Whether the technological age is creating more introverts or not, I can't say.....

It's funny that those old systems are making a comeback, but my own brother tells me that he enjoys playing my old Genesis games (yeah, dam thing still works, believe it or not) than his own PS3 games..... To me that says enough....

Think I said this to you before.... Yes, we're both on the cusp of being Gen X'ers & Millennials, but personally I don't consider myself a millennial (but I do get why they are the way they are).... Gen X-ers failed Millennials on a lesser scale than Gen X-ers were by the "Me generation" (Baby boomers); we're (by that I mean Gen X-ers) not called the loner generation for nothing.... Millennials generally don't talk about Baby boomers... I have a certain hatred for the way some folks born in that generation just left their offspring to the wayside of lot of them did.... They got their 40 acres & a mule & we get accused of being lazy (for the various reasons that they give - which a lot of them to me is BS, but that's neither here nor there).... I mean hell, it's no secret that people in their 30 & 40's now aren't buying homes the way our mommies/daddies were when they were our age.... Blame it on population influx, it doesn't really matter at this point.... Not that this is news to you, but I'm telling you now, come 20 years from now when we're in our 50's, you think the homeless problem is bad now (I'm not just talking about NYC either).... Maaaannn...

Anyway, I generally agree with what you say here, but at the same time, the one thing I do respect about these millennials is that they are progressive.... In this technological age, they pretty much have to be.

...and with that, I am out.

I agree with a lot of your points.  As you stated, we're both on the cusp of the whole millennial thing, and quite frankly while I guess I am considered a millennial, I feel as if there is definitely a difference between us, from the way they socialize, to their work ethic (or lack thereof, etc.)  Many of them don't seem to have any drive, are socially awkward, lazy and self-centered.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but that's what I generally see.  We have a few in my office that do absolutely nothing.  I'm surprised that they haven't been hooked on this damn game.  As for your last comment about the homeless population increasing... Oh I can certainly see that. It's disturbing to think that more and more people are and will be living at home into their 30s and 40s and that will be considered "normal" because they don't have the drive to get out there and hold their own.  Playing Pokémon for hours on end is wayyy more important than getting their own place. The lack of priorities is amazing.  Smh

I'm most surprised about how divisive this game is, seems like there's little apathy there's more hype vs. loathing. 

Anyway - I walk probably 5 miles a day as part of my commute and playing a little bit does make it more interesting. I never cared much for pokemon tbh, was a little old for it - but the like concept of geolocation-dependent-gaming, while not new, has suddenly found a popular face. Will this game be around forever? Only if they improve it a LOT. But, it will not be the last of it's kind. One could argue that games will more often than not look something like this in the not too distant future.  But anyway -  it's not just 'millenials'.  

No, you don't have to walk around with your face buried in the phone to play. 

I agree with a lot of your points.  As you stated, we're both on the cusp of the whole millennial thing, and quite frankly while I guess I am considered a millennial, I feel as if there is definitely a difference between us, from the way they socialize, to their work ethic (or lack thereof, etc.)  Many of them don't seem to have any drive, are socially awkward, lazy and self-centered.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but that's what I generally see.  We have a few in my office that do absolutely nothing.  I'm surprised that they haven't been hooked on this damn game.  As for your last comment about the homeless population increasing... Oh I can certainly see that. It's disturbing to think that more and more people are and will be living at home into their 30s and 40s and that will be considered "normal" because they don't have the drive to get out there and hold their own.  Playing Pokémon for hours on end is wayyy more important than getting their own place. The lack of priorities is amazing.  Smh

Why so us and them? The majority of my friends are between 24-31. 99% of them are successfully, gainfully, employed in the industry they sought to go into, have excelled in their field, and live on their own. 

There's only one who still lives with his folks actually. He's director of something-something for a republican county executive  :rolleyes:

That said, as real estate prices surge, and salaries don't - yeah. You'll see more people living at home. You'll see more people with roommates. And you'll see more people blaming it on their "work ethic" who don't have a god damn clue what they're talking about. 

If there are younger adults in your office who do absolutely nothing - I would not hold them blameless - but I would also charged that they are not being managed properly at all. And I don't mean that millennials need special handling from a managerial standpoint - I mean, at what point in human history has an employer tolerated that sort of oafish behavior?

Then again, why do i bother arguing. :mellow:  

I'm most surprised about how divisive this game is, seems like there's little apathy there's more hype vs. loathing. 

Anyway - I walk probably 5 miles a day as part of my commute and playing a little bit does make it more interesting. I never cared much for pokemon tbh, was a little old for it - but the like concept of geolocation-dependent-gaming, while not new, has suddenly found a popular face. Will this game be around forever? Only if they improve it a LOT. But, it will not be the last of it's kind. One could argue that games will more often than not look something like this in the not too distant future.  But anyway -  it's not just 'millenials'.  

No, you don't have to walk around with your face buried in the phone to play. 

Why so us and them? The majority of my friends are between 24-31. 99% of them are successfully, gainfully, employed in the industry they sought to go into, have excelled in their field, and live on their own. 

There's only one who still lives with his folks actually. He's director of something-something for a republican county executive  :rolleyes:

That said, as real estate prices surge, and salaries don't - yeah. You'll see more people living at home. You'll see more people with roommates. And you'll see more people blaming it on their "work ethic" who don't have a god damn clue what they're talking about. 

If there are younger adults in your office who do absolutely nothing - I would not hold them blameless - but I would also charged that they are not being managed properly at all. And I don't mean that millennials need special handling from a managerial standpoint - I mean, at what point in human history has an employer tolerated that sort of oafish behavior?

Then again, why do i bother arguing. :mellow:  

LOL...  "And I don't mean that millennials need special handling from a managerial standpoint"... Oh that's exactly what you mean... They have to be coddled and handled oh so delicately... Makes me wanna barf.... This generation is so babied it isn't even funny.... Yes, things are more expensive, but motivation and drive still counts for a lot. 

LOL...  "And I don't mean that millennials need special handling from a managerial standpoint"... Oh that's exactly what you mean... They have to be coddled and handled oh so delicately... Makes me wanna barf.... This generation is so babied it isn't even funny.... Yes, things are more expensive, but motivation and drive still counts for a lot. 

No - Actually I was suggesting that If they didn't do anything, they ought be disciplined, potentially terminated. Barf away. 

It's absolutely amazing how some of these topics veer completely off the rails. I don't see how this became an attack on millennials and people who genuinely want to have fun. While I have nothing beyond a passing interest in Pokemon Go, I don't understand this absolute hatred of the game or the idea in general. As long as users aren't breaking any laws or endangering themselves or others, let them have their fun. Some of you guys need to calm down and stop being fun-killers. And really, who are we to mock or ridicule someone for having interest in a hobby that we don't necessarily understand? That seems especially odd given our interests on this forum.

Archived