ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

5 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Starting to rethink this whole TO thing.  It's the second week of training and this week has been a disaster. We routinely got on trains late bc there other classes were in the trains or they were in service.  The TSS routinely tells us how we are short of time.  They tell us about all the mistakes the new classes are making such is not surprising consider how much they want us to know.  I've been studying daily and even then I can't keep up. Everything is rushed in terms of teaching.  They will tell us we have to learn something and then next day want us to know it backwards and forewards. 

Stick around longer, the job might grow on you. The fact that you're experiencing hardship is part of the schooling. See training through and be on your own for awhile to see if it was worth it to you. 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Starting to rethink this whole TO thing.  It's the second week of training and this week has been a disaster. We routinely got on trains late bc there other classes were in the trains or they were in service.  The TSS routinely tells us how we are short of time.  They tell us about all the mistakes the new classes are making such is not surprising consider how much they want us to know.  I've been studying daily and even then I can't keep up. Everything is rushed in terms of teaching.  They will tell us we have to learn something and then next day want us to know it backwards and forewards. 

trust me it doesnt get easier.  in fact i miss school car!!  

but......that being said.  you're over reacting.  TRUST ME!!! you will PASS.    if you study and get 80% to the signals they want you to know verbatim, trust me you will PASS!  believe me.

again get those definitions and rules and regulations just 80% of the way there.  they cannot fail you for not knowing it 100%.  you won't believe me now but youuuuu will see come test day!!!

2 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Are you studying after you get home? If not, I suggest you make time to do that.

You’re not expected to know everything immediately, but you need to learn how to filter the information you’re taking in and focus on the important bits. 

Also, keep in mind this is only the second week of training, you’re trying to rewire your mind to process transit shit, it’s going to be overwhelming. Keep on top of studying, read your signals and notes daily, you’ll be alright.

I study 2-3 hours a day So far very little is sticking. Im exhausted. Getting 3-4 hrs of sleep isnt helping but its the only way I can have time to study.

7 hours ago, thegameksk said:

As someone who finishes school car Monday. Hang in. Record yourselves reading the signals and play it on your headphones and in your car. Write them out 5-10 times each a day. And you'll easily memorize them. They're super overwhelmed the tss. You'll be fine just do your part. 

2 hours ago, thegameksk said:

I study 2-3 hours a day So far very little is sticking. Im exhausted. Getting 3-4 hrs of sleep isnt helping but it’s the only way I can have time to study.

Whatever your situation that is preventing you from sleeping enough & studying - I hope you can find a way to alleviate it. 
You need to sleep to rest your body and mind, especially when it comes to retaining information. 
I’m not going to lie to you or sugarcoat anything; it’s a very real possibility that this job isn’t for you, but I think you should stick it out in schoolcar and see if things click in place eventually. You gotta do your part, don’t be afraid to reach out to your TSS if you’re not understanding something. My TSS’ during schoolcar did overtime hours simply to help out 2 - 3 people in my class. 
I guarantee you that if you pass and get out on the road, you’ll realize that the job is not hard at all.

Edited by Jay-Oh

4 hours ago, JB14 said:

Hey I had a question will the promotional exam coming up later this year be open to everybody who works in nyc transit or just for certain people 

From a previous promotional T/O exam:
ELIGIBILITY TO TAKE EXAMINATION: This examination is open to each employee of the New York City Transit Authority who on the date of the multiple-choice test:

1. is permanently (not provisionally) employed in, or appears on a Preferred List (see Note, below) for the title of Conductor, Tower Operator, or Bus Operator; or

2. is permanently (not provisionally) employed in, or appears on a Preferred List (see Note, below) for, a competitive class title in the NYC Transit Authority and who has satisfactorily completed the NYCT Transit Certificate Program for Train Operator, and must have three years of satisfactory full-time work experience including at least one year of work with the NYC Transit Authority; or

(Note: A "Preferred List" is a civil service list which is only for certain former permanent incumbents of the eligible title who have rehiring rights.)

3. is employed in a labor class or non-competitive class title in the NYC Transit Authority, and who has satisfactorily completed the NYCT Transit Certificate Program for Train Operator, and must have three years of satisfactory full-time work experience including at least one year of work with the NYC Transit Authority; and

4. is not otherwise ineligible.

7 hours ago, JB14 said:

Hey I had a question will the promotional exam coming up later this year be open to everybody who works in nyc transit or just for certain people 

promotion for TO?  don't you need to be a conductor already?   or you're talking about the open competitive?  cuz i think the OC is expired.  unless they opened a new one??

EDIT:

NYT  3607  Station Agent  OC  11/1/2022-11/21/2022  NYT  3708  Conductor  PRO  11/1/2022-11/21/2022

Station Agent is good....you have your own time in a secured booth.  

NYT  3708  Conductor  PRO  11/1/2022-11/21/2022

Conductor is 6 weeks of training so you're on your feet faster

Edited by trackerjack
addition

1 hour ago, trackerjack said:

promotion for TO?  don't you need to be a conductor already?   or you're talking about the open competitive?  cuz i think the OC is expired.  unless they opened a new one??

EDIT:

NYT  3607  Station Agent  OC  11/1/2022-11/21/2022  NYT  3708  Conductor  PRO  11/1/2022-11/21/2022

Station Agent is good....you have your own time in a secured booth.  

NYT  3708  Conductor  PRO  11/1/2022-11/21/2022

Conductor is 6 weeks of training so you're on your feet faster

Oh I was actually wondering because I am currently an electrical helper in signals and wanted to be a train operator so it it seems like I have to get promoted to tower operator first then get promoted to train operator 

49 minutes ago, JB14 said:

Oh I was actually wondering because I am currently an electrical helper in signals and wanted to be a train operator so it it seems like I have to get promoted to tower operator first then get promoted to train operator 

honestly i don't know.....best if you ask your supervisor.  as far as I know.....i do believe you need to be conductor to be promoted to a TO.  

is Signals not something you want to stay doing?  other than being in harms way of our trains.....it looks pretty chill

Edited by trackerjack
typo

42 minutes ago, JB14 said:

You can try contacting TWU's TUF department about when the next class is to get the Transit Certificate; http://twulocal100tuf.org/tcp.php

1 hour ago, trackerjack said:

honestly i don't know.....best if you ask your supervisor.  as far as I know.....i do believe you need to be conductor to be promoted to a TO.  

is Signals not something you want to stay doing?  other than being in harms way of our trains.....it looks pretty chill

Signals is pretty chill but for some reasons for a while I had an interest in becoming a train operator 

13 hours ago, trackerjack said:

I don’t think you need to be a C/R. I know that people in certain other departments need to take TA provided classes that certify them to take the T/O exam. I know of around 2 station agents who are in those classes atm.

2 hours ago, Showtime said:

Haven’t seen anyone saying they been getting called in for pre employment. Is the list closed or is there a slow down on new hires?

Someone here posted its open until Sept 2023 but on the schoolcar thread someone posted its open until Feb 2024

1 minute ago, JPkim1130 said:

I just got email from MTA.
it saying Conditional offer. Is that mean Im not getting permanent job?

"Accordingly, please accept this letter as a conditional offer of employment subject to successful completion of a medical evaluation."

I,m really confused.

You will get the job if you pass the medical exam. What is the class date?

I heard you only do 3monhts to 6months training.

9 months if in the B division and 6 months if you're in the A division. Training time might have been cut to get more T/Os out sooner, when I came out we had the full experience, I've heard now they've cut the length of YX training.

2 minutes ago, TCart said:

@JPkim1130 I’m in schoolcar now. A division is 6 months. I think B division is 3 weeks more time than A division. I was told they kinda rushing us out of schoolcar cause they in need of Operators so classes got shortened. 

yes my friend who works at b division told this just now. Email saying medical exam will takes whole day. Told me to come at 630. I,m about to go there by 6am. It will take that long? what exactly you do at medical exam?

yes my friend who works at b division told this just now. Email saying medical exam will takes whole day. Told me to come at 630. I,m about to go there by 6am. It will take that long? what exactly you do at medical exam?

You'll answer a medical questionnaire, and then they taste your hearing,vision,ekg, pee for diabetes,your weight, lastly you see a doctor they ask you questions and measure your neck if your neck is measured to be too big they'll place you on medical hold for possible sleep apnea. If all goes well you'll get sworn in on the same day and will be given a start date.