ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

10 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

I know.......where ur coming from!  I am probably one of the few that will ever tell you the truth
besides that.....the methods you can do during probation.  but Transit is VERY vindictive.  the (S)crew office will.......remember you and exact revenge. this is true.  
anyways DM me if u want the real scoop on how things work here.  it really really depends on your current job you have now and how satisfied you are with ur job (notice i didnt say "happy". just satisfied).  this will surely guide you in the right decision whether to make the jump from a cushy stable job to a very instable and physically & mentally harsh profession here.  these are MY OPINIONS mind you.   but i do speak the truth about what i've seen/experienced though.

New to the forum, it isn’t allowing me send messages. 😓😓😓

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Pkk said:

I’m currently employed with another company. I’m still indecisive with what to do if I get the t/o position. I don’t want to do OT at all if I can avoid it. But I think with the one year probation I can’t use your methods to avoid dispatch? I do want to work in mta like you guys. I am just afraid it ll be extremely miserable and I’ll regret quitting my current job. Tough decision

There's a part of me that wants to argue that if you're already in the mental mindset of trying to escape OT, you may want to consider declining and letting somebody else have that spot.

If you need the money, come on down but be prepared to work hard and pound the road for your money. If you're at a place where you're comfortable, enjoy your coworkers or your customers, and the money is good, it may be better to stay there. I admittedly joined in my 30s, so my mindset would be different compared to my 20s, especially when I was financially supported by my parents. 

4 minutes ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

There's a part of me that wants to argue that if you're already in the mental mindset of trying to escape OT, you may want to consider declining and letting somebody else have that spot.

If you need the money, come on down but be prepared to work hard and pound the road for your money. If you're at a place where you're comfortable, enjoy your coworkers or your customers, and the money is good, it may be better to stay there. I admittedly joined in my 30s, so my mindset would be different compared to my 20s, especially when I was financially supported by my parents. 

Thank you. Yeah I’m trying to get as much info as I can from those who are working there before I make my decision.

It’s good days down here where you can possibly “clear board” sit for 8 hours and go home. Pretty sure that will change come summer time when people go on vacation and book off because it’s nice out. Then it’s days you can sit on board for 5 hours and pick up a job if not a whole job half of a job. When OT is offered take it while it’s there. If you wanna do 8 and skate everyday this is not the job for that. 

Just now, Pkk said:

Thank you. Yeah I’m trying to get as much info as I can from those who are working there before I make my decision.

I don't blame you for wanting as much information as possible. I read the stories from current and former employees at other railfan message boards, and had retirees hint at the potential issues. Admittedly the job can and will be stressful at times, but thousands of other people have motormen and train operators on our railroad for over a century, so one can argue if they did it, so can you. :-)

With that said, it's harder to come here if you're coming from a comfortable white collar job that pays similar wages. It's hard to come here if you're used to goofing off at work and doing nothing all day. There's definitely a trade off here, and it's harder if you're coming from those types of work environments. If you're earning less than what transit offers, and it's stressful, you might as well come down. :-)

2 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

I don't blame you for wanting as much information as possible. I read the stories from current and former employees at other railfan message boards, and had retirees hint at the potential issues. Admittedly the job can and will be stressful at times, but thousands of other people have motormen and train operators on our railroad for over a century, so one can argue if they did it, so can you. :-)

With that said, it's harder to come here if you're coming from a comfortable white collar job that pays similar wages. It's hard to come here if you're used to goofing off at work and doing nothing all day. There's definitely a trade off here, and it's harder if you're coming from those types of work environments. If you're earning less than what transit offers, and it's stressful, you might as well come down. :-)

Funny thing this is the EASIEST JOB i ever had...

Been working mostly manual labor Jobs since i was 13 years old..

Joined here at 31 and i don't know what hard work is anymore...

3 years 10 months im gone at 56  years young they can have this place....

The place is definitely for the young bucks...

Edited by RTOMan

4 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

If you need the money, come on down but be prepared to work hard and pound the road for your money. If you're at a place where you're comfortable, enjoy your coworkers or your customers, and the money is good, it may be better to stay there. 

I have to agree with you 100%.

@Pkk if you come down here with the expectation of running away from overtime, you’re better off not taking a spot from someone who wants to be here.

The key to surviving XX is adjusting your mentality to go with the flow. Like everyone else said; there will be good days and there will be bad days. One thing I can guarantee is that things will get better. 
You can listen to the negative nancies down here who’ll tell you that it’s all doom and gloom (looking at you @trackerjack 😂), but I am willing to bet my left nut that most have less than 3 years down here on the job. Also notice, they haven’t left yet. 

The job is what you make it. I’ve worked manual labor jobs and white collar jobs where I’ve done jack shit all day, and, like @RTOMan, I have no problem saying that this is the easiest job I’ve ever had. Mind you, I’m not super senior like him, I only have 5 years on the job. 
I won’t sugarcoat it; the nonnegotiable OT during XX can be stressful, but at the end of the day, all you’re really doing is stopping and going on a train. There will be times you can finagle your way out of OT, but majority of the time it’s best to just roll with the punches. You’re going to need to put in the work, because XX is when you learn the whole system (in your respective division of course). 
The worst, and best, part of this job was schoolcar in my opinion. After that, you just figure out your intervals, make your trips and go home. It isn’t for everyone though, and that’s okay. 
Make sure you get your rest, learn your rules/contract, and pay attention.
During XX, if they try to give you less than 12 straight hours off between your ending time and your next job, there’s a clause in our contract (section 3.2a #11) that states they’re not allowed to do that, this includes the forced overtime. 
I will always advocate for new people to give the job a shot, because if it’s not for them, nothing is stopping them from finding a new one. 

Edited by Jay-Oh

2 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

@Pkk if you come down here with the expectation of running away from overtime, you’re better off not taking a spot from someone who wants to be here.

The key to surviving XX is adjusting your mentality to go with the flow. Like everyone else said; there will be good days and there will be bad days. One thing I can guarantee is that things will get better. 
You can listen to the negative nancies down here who’ll tell you that it’s all doom and gloom (looking at you @trackerjack 😂), but I am willing to bet my left nut that most have less than 3 years down here on the job. Also notice, they haven’t left yet. 

The job is what you make it. I’ve worked manual labor jobs and white collar jobs where I’ve done jack shit all day, and, like @RTOMan, I have no problem saying that this is the easiest job I’ve ever had. Mind you, I’m not super senior like him, I only have 5 years on the job. 
I won’t sugarcoat it; the nonnegotiable OT during XX can be stressful, but at the end of the day, all you’re really doing is stopping and going on a train. There will be times you can finagle your way out of OT, but majority of the time it’s best to just roll with the punches. You’re going to need to put in the work, because XX is when you learn the whole system (in your respective division of course). 
The worst, and best, part of this job was schoolcar in my opinion. After that, you just figure out your intervals, make your trips and go home. It isn’t for everyone though, and that’s okay. 
During XX, if they try to give you less than 12 straight hours off between your ending time and your next job, there’s a clause in our contract (section 3.2a #11) that states they’re not allowed to do that, this includes the forced overtime. 
I will always advocate for new people to give the job a shot, because if it’s not for them, nothing is stopping them from finding a new one. 

Well said this job is what one makes it, some can deal some cannot..

You are right about that 12 hours too they try to get slick with it...

On 3/22/2023 at 3:46 PM, trackerjack said:

hang in there
it's a Sick Fetish of Transit.....they love when we pee in cups.  it's very VERY creepy.  
when we do randoms......same thing.  pee in this cup. (they SAVE all the cups).  creepy right?

Is that required even in school car ? 

5 minutes ago, Youngking said:

Is that required even in school car ? 

Yes, you will be required to do tests throughout your career. Every two years, you have to do the full medical exam all over again which includes a drug test. You can be sent for a random as required by the FTA. You will be tested when you're involved in an incident. As a train operator, you are subject to FTA rules and regulations.

I had a classmate who was drug tested twice while in schoolcar so you never know.

Got you. I needed to get this info. If I do get called and I take it I’ll be prepared to work 12 hour shifts. Appreciate it

10 minutes ago, Pkk said:

Got you. I needed to get this info. If I do get called and I take it I’ll be prepared to work 12 hour shifts. Appreciate it

One thing I don't think they mentioned and you should consider is, you do not  have a set schedule, location, or tour while you're XX. You may have Monday/Tuesday off on the PM tour, report to a job at Jamaica Center at 1PM on Wednesday, 230PM on Thursday at Coney Island, 4PM on Friday at Bedford Park, 515PM on Saturday at Euclid Ave, and then on Sunday, report to a job that starts at 7PM at Jamaica Yard.

It's not your normal 8AM to 4PM, 4PM to 12PM, etc job that you may usually find elsewhere.

Edited by Jericho

12 minutes ago, Jericho said:

One thing I don't think they mentioned and you should consider is, you do not  have a set schedule, location, or tour while you're XX. You may have Monday/Tuesday off on the PM tour, report to a job at Jamaica Center at 1PM on Wednesday, 230PM on Thursday at Coney Island, 4PM on Friday at Bedford Park, 515PM on Saturday at Euclid Ave, and then on Sunday, report to a job that starts at 7PM at Jamaica Yard.

It's not your normal 8AM to 4PM, 4PM to 12PM, etc job that you may usually find elsewhere.

Another thing to mentally prepare for if I get it. Good info here. 👍 

29 minutes ago, Pkk said:

The likelihood of working 12 hr shifts aren’t that high, you’ll usually only work hours like that if you’re on board / fall to the board (on call) and pick up a full job. You’ll usually have a job scheduled for 8-10 hrs. The 12 hr shifts do happen, but it’s not everyday.

I always tell new people to focus more on relaxing and resting while on board because that little nap could make the rest of your night so much easier. The most I’ve heard someone was assigned board and picked up a job every time was 3 days back to back? But that was during the height of covid.

Edited by Jay-Oh

Fellas I’m curious about promotions too.  What is the chain of command? Above T/O, is it dispatcher and then tss ? And is dispatcher a good sweet spot being that TSS may come with a ton of responsibility? And how much time do you need to take dispatcher exam?

1 hour ago, TOSironi said:

Union says there is gonna be a class in April and then not another until August. 50 people per class. Not sure if that's gonna be it for this list or it gets extended again.

Where did you see this? Is there a site we can go and see the announcements of up coming classes ? 

The likelihood of working 12 hr shifts aren’t that high, you’ll usually only work hours like that if you’re on board / fall to the board (on call) and pick up a full job. You’ll usually have a job scheduled for 8-10 hrs. The 12 hr shifts do happen, but it’s not everyday.

I always tell new people to focus more on relaxing and resting while on board because that little nap could make the rest of your night so much easier. The most I’ve heard someone was assigned board and picked up a job every time was 3 days back to back? But that was during the height of covid.

Btw is there employee parking for train operators or conductors? 

1 hour ago, Urmom said:

Fellas I’m curious about promotions too.  What is the chain of command? Above T/O, is it dispatcher and then tss ? And is dispatcher a good sweet spot being that TSS may come with a ton of responsibility? And how much time do you need to take dispatcher exam?

T/O’s are supervised by assistant train dispatchers and dispatchers as well as TSS. However, TSS’ are able to supervise ATD’s and TD’s, they’re a higher level of supervision than TD’s. Both TD’s and TSS’ report to Superintendents.