Q25, Q52/53, Q70, and Q113 to become SBS routes in the near future

Union Tpke

Alright, so the Q25 becomes an SBS route.... What (does any of you believe) happens to the Q34?

I think the Q25 will turn into an SBS route with local stops after Northern Blvd to College Point.

The Q34 will probably serve Kissena Blvd at all times. Personally I don't want that to happen is the MTA is serious about SBS on the 25 I would prefer the SBS service to end at Flushing with local Q25 service continuing to Flushing and all Q34 service towards Jamaica would be extra Q25/Q25 SBS service. I want the Q34 to be eliminated south of Flushing because it's redundant and for years I've always seen the Q34 bunched with a Q25.

Alright, so the Q25 becomes an SBS route.... What (does any of you believe) happens to the Q34?

Absorption I feel is necessary for some Queens routes if SBS is to be a factor.

I feel input from locals is better suited than mine, but you'd have less buses to park and clog traffic if they were consolidated better. Queens is less populous than Brooklyn but streets are poorly planned.

If a neighborhood uses cars more than buses then buses should simply be pulled or redirected to roads where they'd be less of a hindrance.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

I think that the regular Q25 will be eliminated, and the Q34 will become the full time local. The Q25 SBS might make all stops north of where it splits from the Q34.

I feel that should happen as well, but I also think the MTA is the type to keep the Q25 LCL and leave the Q34 intact. Can't say for sure what will happen to the Q25.

IDK, given what they've done to the Woodhaven Blvd locals and what they almost did to the Q111, I feel like they might try to extend all Q34's to Jamaica (all those current short-turns would originate/terminate at Jamaica), while reducing the headways on the Q25 Local at the same time. IDK how they would do it, but perhaps there would actually be a 1:1 ratio of Q25 Locals and Q34's. It already exists throughout most of the day on weekdays. However the headways would probably be increased from 12 to 15 for each bus.  

Otherwise, I don't see much happening, unless they decide to have the Q34 run only north of Flushing, and have the Q25 local do everything south of Roosevelt Avenue, on 10 minute headways during the midday hours, and every 8 minutes during the rush hour, while the SBS runs a little more frequent than the current Q25 LTD during rush hours, and every 10-15 minutes during midday and evening hours.

I think the Q25 will turn into an SBS route with local stops after Northern Blvd to College Point.

The Q34 will probably serve Kissena Blvd at all times. Personally I don't want that to happen is the MTA is serious about SBS on the 25 I would prefer the SBS service to end at Flushing with local Q25 service continuing to Flushing and all Q34 service towards Jamaica would be extra Q25/Q25 SBS service. I want the Q34 to be eliminated south of Flushing because it's redundant and for years I've always seen the Q34 bunched with a Q25.

An array of responses here (which is exactly why I asked the question & what I expected).... Didn't want to compile a bunch of scenarios, so I did it this way..... Get you guys involved.....

In any case, here's my take....

I think they're going to get rid of the Q34 notation, meaning there'll be a 25 local & a 25 SBS.... The locals would end somewhere in Flushing (say the northern blvd. stop) & the SBS would run the current full route to College Point (the MTA has a habit/pattern of bastardizing locals to drive more people into taking SBS's) .... North of Flushing (is what I'm worried about the most), I believe they'll actually look to combine stops (or "stations") in College point..... How they're going to do that, IDK, but it is a concern of mine....

The current Q34 only portion would see a very limited amount of service throughout the day; probably have select local trips (not SBS, but the word select, as in, random) running to 149th..... As usual, local service overall would take a hit (it wouldn't be a combination of current Q25 local service & current Q34 service, that's for sure) & there'd be a sea of Q25 SBS's all over the place...

Cliffnote version:

Q25 locals: LIRR Jamaica to Flushing, with a select amount of trips running to 149th

Q25 SBS': LIRR Jamaica to College Point

Q34: eliminated notation

Just throwing my 2 cents in about the Q34;

It is not a problem running on Kissena along with the Q25, the issue is the reliability of the Q25 which affects the Q34. The Q34 for the most part is a little bit more reliable than the Q25. But if the Q25 is running 10 min late, it going to mess everything up, regardless of the Q34 existing or not. Ride the Q25 on weekends, buses still manage to bunch up so badly, you end up wishing the Q34 was running. If anything I like BM5's plan, because it's similar to a branch operation like the BX40/42, where the only difference is the split. Frankly, with or without the Q34 the Q25 will still suffer the issues as it does now, so I'd rather have a few Q34's to help even out the mix. 

If my paragraph made no sense, I'm sorry cause I just came home and I'm really tired. 

I think the problem he's talking about is more jurisdictional than the amount of stops in Nassau.

Good luck trying to convince Nassau County to build bus lanes, especially if it's not for NICE buses (not that they would easily build bus lanes for NICE buses in the first place). However, since it's a relatively minor stint (and the ride on Nassau Expwy is faster), it may not matter so much. The bigger problem is along Guy R Brewer, since it isn't very wide as you continue north on the boulevard, and as mentioned, will lead to a significant amount of parking spaces lost.

Theres going to be no issue with the 113 in Nassau as an sbs. You realy wont need bus lanes. The sbs will follow the current route: up Central (no stops so no lane needed then inside Nassau it uses the Nassau Expressway (878) to the Rockaway Tnpk. The 114 already serves the roite and stops thru Five Towns the original 113 used. The 114 LTD goes local till it meets with the 111. I dont see an issue with the 113 sbs untill its north of Rochdale.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

An array of responses here (which is exactly why I asked the question & what I expected).... Didn't want to compile a bunch of scenarios, so I did it this way..... Get you guys involved.....

In any case, here's my take....

I think they're going to get rid of the Q34 notation, meaning there'll be a 25 local & a 25 SBS.... The locals would end somewhere in Flushing (say the northern blvd. stop) & the SBS would run the current full route to College Point (the MTA has a habit/pattern of bastardizing locals to drive more people into taking SBS's) .... North of Flushing (is what I'm worried about the most), I believe they'll actually look to combine stops (or "stations") in College point..... How they're going to do that, IDK, but it is a concern of mine....

The current Q34 only portion would see a very limited amount of service throughout the day; probably have select local trips (not SBS, but the word select, as in, random) running to 149th..... As usual, local service overall would take a hit (it wouldn't be a combination of current Q25 local service & current Q34 service, that's for sure) & there'd be a sea of Q25 SBS's all over the place...

Cliffnote version:

Q25 locals: LIRR Jamaica to Flushing, with a select amount of trips running to 149th

Q25 SBS': LIRR Jamaica to College Point

Q34: eliminated notation

I actually think will happen, because looking at what happened to the Bx12, B44, B46 (not sure about the Bx41) it could work where the Q25 SBS runs as a local past Roosevelt Ave and all local Q25 gets terminated at Roosevelt Ave. However I'm still iffy about the Q34 because they could very well get rid of the Q25 local destination and have the Q34 take over all local service at all times however late nights would be a question to me because there is no demand for Whitestone 149th st at night. So possibly what you've said might be the most realistic scenario.

Just throwing my 2 cents in about the Q34;

It is not a problem running on Kissena along with the Q25, the issue is the reliability of the Q25 which affects the Q34. The Q34 for the most part is a little bit more reliable than the Q25. But if the Q25 is running 10 min late, it going to mess everything up, regardless of the Q34 existing or not. Ride the Q25 on weekends, buses still manage to bunch up so badly, you end up wishing the Q34 was running. If anything I like BM5's plan, because it's similar to a branch operation like the BX40/42, where the only difference is the split. Frankly, with or without the Q34 the Q25 will still suffer the issues as it does now, so I'd rather have a few Q34's to help even out the mix. 

If my paragraph made no sense, I'm sorry cause I just came home and I'm really tired. 

The Q34 however is 90% of the time bunched up with the Q25. College Point does a poor job managing the Q25 route period. It doesn't make sense for two Q25's to be bunched up at night or evenings where the headways are 20-30 minutes. On weekends I agree the Q25 is always bunched and I always used to think a while back it was because CP didn't have artics to run on the Q25, however they could simply make the route more frequent if buses were running crowded. Having the Q34 to help the Q25 out would not make a difference at all and could simply might have all locals run to Flushing like B35 said.

I did remember a while back there was a proposal to send the Q34 up Willets Point to Francis Lewis Blvd so possibly the MTA might consider sending the Q34 up there to give the route more ridership.

• 3 years later...