Look who's back: Port Authority to release study in favor of 7 to New Jersey

Around the Horn

Except sometimes, the new standards emerge victorious (or will be in a short while). Thunderbolt, USB-C, HDMI, and DisplayPort appears to rule the future. They replace a bouquet of standards from the early days like: PS/2, VGA, parallel port (LPT), SCSI port, and a number of miscellaneous serial ports.

Sure, the addition of standards cause a temporary surge, but the market eventually obsoletes the competition after a while. That happened to the memory card market too with the xD card, MMC, MemoryStick, etc. We now have CompactFlash, CFast, XQD, SDXC, and the yet-to-be-released UFS. CompactFlash is stubborn, but it will be replaced by CFast or XQD. If XQD gains a strong following, it should replace CFast as well since the trend is to move towards PCIe-based connections. UFS would be the smaller standard, replacing both MicroSDXC and SDXC in decades since the latter two are so entrenched.

Love this guy  :D Speaking my language good ole 30 pin SCSI... Hey! weren't you the NAND Flash guy from the other thread? This guy's a maniac (The good sorts) I wish the world could work and function in the same manner as raw technology it's all logic, Math, and Science. But even with Tech, you have the marketing and business side the money and who's paying side. It's inescapable.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, let's think of it like this. Has the formation of MTA actually led to efficiencies in operating the region's transit? Have we actually gained any efficiency from running the LIRR and MNR under the same roof, or running MTA Bus, MABSTOA, and NYCT Bus under the same roof, or combining all the construction agencies into one? Or is the MTA just another layer on the bureaucracy cake?

You make a point. I could see both sides on this. One could argue there stronger together absorbing financial hits more effectively. Possible better funding with a bigger agency. Quicker communication and interoperability. But on the hand with a bigger agency it could be more complicated and nearly impossible to get things done. Miss management with one could affect performance and needs of another. I'm not sure honestly if it's better or worst it kinda cancels each other out. 50/50 What are your points on the on subject?

I have an outlandish solution:

Extend the physical corridor of the (7) from NYC to NJ, but run a new purple :8: there instead from Grand Central Station.

That would be horrible. It would clog up (7) service. If you have to build the line to NJ, which you do not, just exten the (7).

That would be horrible. It would clog up (7) service. If you have to build the line to NJ, which you do not, just exten the (7).

The problem is that commuters from New Jersey would have to share the cars with commuters from Queens. It's just too much. What's the minimum amount of time allowed between train arrivals at a given platform?

Unless significant construction is done in the area, terminating eastbound trains at Grand Central (7) will cause extreme delays and inefficiency.

A new PATH line is the way to go.

In that case, free transfer between PATH and (MTA) is the way to go. Not to mention a shared unlimited card...

Or just do absolutely nothing for New Jersey. If they wanted it, then they would’ve built the ARC.

In that case, to hell with New Jersey. Extend the (7) down the West Side Highway to the World Financial Center's deep subterranean connection to the World Trade Center.

In that case, to hell with New Jersey. Extend the (7) down the West Side Highway to the World Financial Center's deep subterranean connection to the World Trade Center.

Although I'd agree on extending it south, space should still be added if the NJ extention ever happens in the future. Just cause conditions today don't make is seem feasible, it may be a different story 20+ years down the line. 

Although I'd agree on extending it south, space should still be added if the NJ extention ever happens in the future. Just cause conditions today don't make is seem feasible, it may be a different story 20+ years down the line. 

You mean bell mouths or something further along?

track branching

Unless we somehow tossed out the Constitution, it would literally be impossible.

Merging States is not wise.

But I propose a similar concept that pools intellectual, security and technical interests in a cooperative that's composed of nearby transit agencies.

I'd propose it as the "Pan-Hudson Transit Alliance". An organized initiative to set standards, share ideas and technologies to make transit more fluid and thaw the ice that the MTA has created by making it's efforts proprietary when that tech can save lives elsewhere.

In order for such an effort to succeed, NYCTA and SIR would have to be wrested from state control.

Starting members: examples:

Because we share fare tech:

NYCTA

WCDPWT (Bee-Line)

NICE

Because we share borders:

CTTransit

NJT

SEPTA

Because that's where the workforce is:

TOR

PART

CDTA

I'm sure complications exist but what do y'all think?

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

Archived