MetroCard fare and transfers

Deucey

So in the 3.5 years I've been in NYC I've never paid fare - every MetroCard I've had has been unlimited.

So now, because I got laid off from the startup I worked at, the money in my commuter benefits account expires tomorrow. My unlimited MetroCard expires on 4/20.

So since I'll have ~$120 to use, is the max that can go on a MetroCar $100? Can I do two credit card transactions on the same card for two different MetroCards from the MVM, or do I need to go to there token booth?

And to use the fare on the MetroCard, do I get a bus ride then train transfer only on that $2.75, or do I get bus to train to bus for that $2.75?

Thx y'all

So in the 3.5 years I've been in NYC I've never paid fare - every MetroCard I've had has been unlimited.

So now, because I got laid off from the startup I worked at, the money in my commuter benefits account expires tomorrow. My unlimited MetroCard expires on 4/20.

So since I'll have ~$120 to use, is the max that can go on a MetroCar $100? Can I do two credit card transactions on the same card for two different MetroCards from the MVM, or do I need to go to there token booth?

And to use the fare on the MetroCard, do I get a bus ride then train transfer only on that $2.75, or do I get bus to train to bus for that $2.75?

Thx y'all

For a pay-per-ride, it's below $100.00.  You have to remember that you'll also get a 5% bonus at $5.50 and above, so the maximum limit must also take that bonus into account.  When they had the old bonus, I would put $80.00 on cards sometimes when I didn't need an express bus pass and that would give me a nice bonus so I would have $88.80.  The max may be in the 90s, but it is definitely under $100.00.  

As for credit card transactions, sure you can do that.  It could be two pay-per-ride (cash) refills depending on the amount or a pass and pay-per-ride (cash).  Whatever pass you have on the card is the only one you can refill the card with, so if you had a monthly on it, you can't refill it with a weekly, but you can always refill any Metrocard with cash (below $100.00).

You can do at least three transactions a day per credit or debit card.  I usually get my Monthly Metro-North pass, then refill two Metrocards with express bus 7 day unlimited passes.

For the pay-per-ride, you get a bus-to-bus, subway-to-bus or bus-to-subway transfer. In some cases you can get more than that depending on your commute. Staten Island would be an example where there are three legged transfers.

---

Updated post:

Apparently wiki says you can put up to a $100.00 on a Metrocard, but I'm sure that has to be with the bonus included.

The (MTA) website mentions putting a max of $80.00 on a Metrocard, but no mention of what it is at a MVM machine, so if you include the 5% bonus it should work with $95.00, but I don't see any way to make it an even $100.00 with the bonus included.  It would still be under $100.00.

Cards can be refilled
  • in 1 cent increments at token booths.
  • in 5 cent increments at vending machines.
  • up to $80 in one transaction and up to a total value of $100.
  • with unlimited ride time in 7 or 30 day increments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetroCard_(New_York_City)

So for SI, I could take the bus to the ferry (fare paid) then the R (transfer) and then a bus in Bk or Queens without paying $5.50?

Is that tracked automatically, or do I need to order a special MetroCard?

So for SI, I could take the bus to the ferry (fare paid) then the R (transfer) and then a bus in Bk or Queens without paying $5.50?

Is that tracked automatically, or do I need to order a special MetroCard?

I think the three legged transfers are for the SI commuters going via Brooklyn.  Someone who actually uses it more regularly can confirm. I stopped using the ferry years ago when I switched to the express bus and even when I go back now I use the express bus so I can't say, but I know at least one of them exists.  I would think there would be one for SIR commuters too. Take the bus to the SIR, the ferry and then the subway.  The three legged transfers are programmed in so it would work (or should work) on any pay-per-ride Metrocard, but there are glitches from time to time, as is the case with everything (MTA) related. lol

Three leg transfers on SI are only for the B70-S53-other SI route 

or

From Staten Island use Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard on a local Staten Island bus, and transfer free to the SIR and then transfer free to the (1)(R)(W) at Rector St and South Ferry, (4)(5)(J)(Z)(2)(3) at Wall Street, (4)(5)(A)(C)(J)(Z)(2)(3) at Fulton Street or the M15, M20, M55 or M15 SBS bus routes in Manhattan, (using that same MetroCard). From Manhattan pay your bus or subway fare, with Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard and transfer free to SIR, then transfer free to the following Staten Island buses: S51, S53, S54, S56, S57, S59, S74, S76, S79SBS, S81, S84, S86, S89 or S93. 

So since I live in New Brighton by the ferry, I'm paying two fares to Bed Stuy or the Bronx if I take the S52/S44/S40 to the ferry and decide to take a Fulton St bus or the Bx12 or Bx15.

That's so amazing to me. In California - excluding BART and Sacramento RT now - bus-train-bus on one fare is/was the norm.

So since I live in New Brighton by the ferry, I'm paying two fares to Bed Stuy or the Bronx if I take the S52/S44/S40 to the ferry and decide to take a Fulton St bus or the Bx12 or Bx15.

That's so amazing to me. In California - excluding BART and Sacramento RT now - bus-train-bus on one fare is/was the norm.

That's correct, but you can also get from the City border by Westchester all the way to Tottenville on $5.50 or $6.50 (via express bus).  Still a pretty good deal.

Archived