Where do you draw the line in railfanning?

Lawrence St

Yeah. Also for those who say that you can cut if you're A+, you realize that attendance/participation make up a good portion of your grade?

Go to school. Education is (sadly) a privilege, not a right.

The only time to cut school is to get laid.....

LMAO... guilty as charged (high school).

The only times I have usually cut was on my birthday which was actually a tradition.

This reminds me of the kid (name withheld) back in HS that had at least 2 birthdays every year.... He ended up getting kicked out of school (not for that reason though).... Anyway, I've never taken off school or work for my birthday... Never wanted to.

As far as I'm concerned, when any type of hobby starts consuming your life and negatively impacting other aspects of it, then it becomes a problem. You want to skip a day of class (or cut out of school early) when you're an A+ student and understand all the material? Sure, go ahead. You want to take a day off from work to go fanning? As far as I'm concerned, it's no different than taking off days to go on vacation. (If you can save a couple of hundred dollars on airfare by skipping a day of school or work, and there's no problems, why not?)

It's when you're doing it so often that your grades start to suffer or your boss is ready to fire you (or anything heading down that general direction) when it becomes a problem.

Now, would I/have I ever gone fanning on a day when I took off from school? No, usually it was leaving school early to get to work early (or calling out of my lower-paying job to work an extra shift at my higher-paying job). But I'm not going to judge anybody who does.

(I) Never cut school to 'fan, Never considered taking a day off of work to 'fan... As far as work, the moment that even comes close to coming to mind, is the moment I'm quitting that job... It's an unconscious way of telling myself I really don't want to be there.... Looking for a way out.... Now if that's how some of these kids are feeling about school, who am I to tell them whether they should cut or not.... I've always had the mindset of school not being for everyone.... Attaboy - go to school, get good grades, go to college - to come to find out that getting a job isn't as easy as 1-2-3 like it's put out there like it is.... I get flack for being uncouth IRL offline, so obviously the last thing damn thing I am is the moral police.... IDC if you're booksmart or bookdumb, have at it....

But to your general point, where any hobby starts taking over your life to the point where you struggle to control it, that's never a good thing..... Should I even bring up Mr. McCollum...

-------------------------------------------------

I never did answer the question/thread title, so here it is...

Where I so-call draw the line with 'fanning is where hobbyists get rambunctious/rude, even violent, and with respect to b/o's, c/r's, t/o's, being nuisances... Bumping people out the way to get to the RFW..... Bumping into the door, leading to the t/o's area as he/she's operating the train.... "Yo, get the.... yo, move out of the way, I wanna get this shot" (stated verbatim, while nudging the guy..... this happened as I was waiting for a Q48 in Flushing years ago, back when it used to make its first pickup where it's currently the last dropoff stop only now)....F*** you gotta act like animals to get "that shot" for.... Also, the claiming exclusivity to (whatever) no one else is gonna remember you for anyway!!! I mean really, who was the first person to board the last in-service (9) train again?

One thing I do not miss about NYC transit hobbyists back in the mid-to-late '90's & early 2000's... Some of you that's been in this community for a hot second know exactly what I'm talking about with that.....

Yeah. Also for those who say that you can cut if you're A+, you realize that attendance/participation make up a good portion of your grade?

Go to school. Education is (sadly) a privilege, not a right.

Depends on the class. For some classes, attendance is weighted heavily. For other classes, it's not even required, but you just have to make sure you get good grades on the tests. For example a grade might consist of 10% homework, 20% each for 3 exams (60% total), and 30% for the final exam.

Or if you know the system. Every aspect of class is a percentage of the whole grade.

Which is exactly why I was able to make it though 7th and 8th grade and all of high school without a lick of homework done.

i guess as a train operator i rail fan everyday!, But a message to you rail manners, Please turn your camera flash off when you take pictures of the train coming in the station! its pretty annoying getting flashed while looking for the 10 car marker!

• 1 month later...

I remember someone mentioning something about Trunat Officers and during spring break (I'm a railfanner who doesn't live in NYC, as I live on the west coast who loves the NYC Subway) a Trunat Officer attempted to bust me while I was in view of my parents while taking a photo of trains at Coney Island, the thing is the spring break my school used was differing from the average spring break as it started far later than most and I was out and about around 12:30. Anyhow my parents did come in and the Trunat Officer apologized. While I did not exactly take rail fanning to an extent, I would just like to bring up an experience with a Trunat Officer.

Archived