Where do you draw the line in railfanning?

Lawrence St

So this came from the R179 thread and it was an interesting enough topic and I didn't want to derail the thread by going off topic.

Anyway, as some (or most) of you know, railfanners at Times will tend to skip school or something important like that just to fan. Not saying any names, I just want to know opinions on where to draw the line in railfaning, if you catch my drift.

So yeah, go!

Depends on the context. My grades are pretty good so if it's expected to be a light/average class day then I'd probably go see it. Don't think I'd ever blow off a family thing though

I usually laugh at the ones that are still in high-school and skipping. College is a bit different as everyone can choose their schedule accordingly and if you are up-to-date with your work, you can pretty much skip days in college. (Though I know some professors are pretty strict on attendance.)

I haven't fanned in a long time, but number one rule is family, work, school (if applicable) would always come first, I don't care what event or special treat occurs. It's only a hobby.

I gotta be honest in saying that I didn't even know such a hobby existed. The most "fanning" I would do is when my uncle took me to the bus depot and I would ride around with him (this was when I was pretty young too - maybe 11 or 12 at the most), but other than that can't say I did anything else, and that was really more of a bonding thing that anything since me and my uncle were pretty cool.  Most of my hobbies were sports related, but education always came first, regardless of what I had planned.  Drinking on the weekends with friends was fine since it didn't interfere with the books, but overall I think it's important to just keep things in perspective, regardless of what your hobby is.

"This wasn't meant to be a bad thread or to call someone out. I just want to see others people opinions is all."

But I too can see where this is going. Seeing as this is in obvious response to the post following the one initiated by BStyles in the R179 thread. Which is somewhat childish.

This type of thread leaves room for a bunch of you to sit here an place judgement on those who are far more invested in this hobby than you. I mean, the Japanese go just as hard. Hell, even harder, in fact. JR personnel don't seem to mind as much from what I've learned. The French even allow some into the cab to take videos of the various RER and Transilien routes. The same can be said for any other city. While people may think the behavior is harassment to the personnel and that it may leave impacts on you all as railfans as well, I feel like the contrary on the latter is true. Stop minding their business and go about yours. You don't wanna be lumped in there with them? Avoid the persons involved and do you. Simple as that. Let them be. I'm confident that the employees can tell whose in what camp in regards to how hard you go with the hobby.

Transit fans calling each other foamers, but at the end of the day, all end up watching the same videos and photos, looking at the same info...

Mind you, they be the first ones to go "HDRareExclusive" blah blah shit.

You don't really notice it until you take a pic of something weird you see going to work and next thing you know, five duplicate photos pop up afterward.

Example: A pic I took at 161 on the B and D and the route descriptions hanging over the platform had the (B) for both with a simple comment of "Hmm". Not even 24 hours later, some random posts his own, hyping up the discrepancy like the people who installed it are a couple of bimbos. Like what? Is it really that serious that you had to run from East Jesus Nowhere Queens to The Bronx just to have it? Hypocrisy.

Transit fans calling each other foamers, but at the end of the day, all end up watching the same videos and photos, looking at the same info...

The one's I really can't stand are the ones who start complaining about your camera.

Like, one morning I'm waiting at Bay Ridge Av for the (R) to Manhattan and instead a (D) shows up, so I whip out my phone and snap a few pictures. This one guy goes off about there being "too much glare on the lights" and wondering why I was using my cell phone instead of a camera, "cause your photos look terrible". Well what do you expect me to bring my nice digital camera to school everyday? Seriously?

That is part of the reason why fanning is only a third of my transit interest. I'd go mad if it was my focal point...

The one's I really can't stand are the ones who start complaining about your camera.

Like, one morning I'm waiting at Bay Ridge Av for the (R) to Manhattan and instead a (D) shows up, so I whip out my phone and snap a few pictures. This one guy goes off about there being "too much glare on the lights" and wondering why I was using my cell phone instead of a camera, "cause your photos look terrible". Well what do you expect me to bring my nice digital camera to school everyday? Seriously?

That is part of the reason why fanning is only a third of my transit interest. I'd go mad if it was my focal point...

They don't realize:

It's not the camera, but your own skills that make a good photo. An entire feature length film was made on an iPhone last year and got lots of praise.

If you don't know composition, then you can't take photos. Unless you're like me and know how to break the rules when needed.

I have a 100 average at school, and I take my studies seriously. I would never cut to rail fan, and I would never do it when my parents tell me not to. I don't railfan too often, but I know that when I am done with HS and College there will be time to do more. Also, there is a thing called summer.

I take my digital camera with me all the time. I wear a fanny pack.

LOL :lol: My Fujifilm ain't fitting in a fanny pack! 

Plus there was the issue in High School of my school's dean... 

I tried to take photos of the school trippers once and he damn near called the cops on me.

LOL :lol: My Fujifilm ain't fitting in a fanny pack

Plus there was the issue in High School of my school's dean... 

I tried to take photos of the school trippers once and he damn near called the cops on me.

Those always make me crack up.  Couldn't imagine walking around with one of those.  When I was really into photography, I had a Japanese digital camera that fit in one of my many pockets.  Would travel around Italy with it and no one would know I had one until I pulled it out.

I have a 100 average at school, and I take my studies seriously. I would never cut to rail fan, and I would never do it when my parents tell me not to. I don't railfan too often, but I know that when I am done with HS and College there will be time to do more. Also, there is a thing called summer.

Please. You can break rules and still get schoolwork done. Exhibit A right here.

It's just a matter of if you get caught. And I did up until I learned the system of how phone calls to home are made. But I digress lol.

It's their perogative if they want to miss their studies. They, and only they, will pay for it. Cause and effect.

I will say that all of the people that cut school to railfan... Hopefully those people get it together sooner rather than later.  Life is all about sacrificing and prioritizing.  Sacrifice now for the gains later.  I sure as hell sacrificed in high school and college and have no regrets. The people that didn't are the ones suffering with much lower incomes and dead end jobs, and in this city, you can't get far without a good paying job.  I salute Union Tpk for his dedication to his grades.  He understands the correlation between education and being successful.  That isn't to say that getting an education means automatic success, but it's been proven that those with a higher education tend to earn considerably more than their counterparts, so while you do have successful people with low education levels, that's generally the exception and not the norm.  Those that are extremely dedicated to this hobby, find a way to make money out of it.  Be an engineer or do something that is going to PAY money (and pay WELL), otherwise it's just a nice hobby, but you'll be broke. lol

I will say that all of the people that cut school to railfan... Hopefully those people get it together sooner rather than later.  Life is all about sacrificing and prioritizing.  Sacrifice now for the gains later.  I sure as hell sacrificed in high school and college and have no regrets. The people that didn't are the ones suffering with much lower incomes and dead end jobs, and in this city, you can't get far without a good paying job.  I salute Union Tpk for his dedication to his grades.  He understands the correlation between education and being successful.  That isn't to say that getting an education means automatic success, but it's been proven that those with a higher education tend to earn considerably more than their counterparts, so while you do have successful people with low education levels, that's generally the exception and not the norm.  Those that are extremely dedicated to this hobby, find a way to make money out of it.  Be an engineer or do something that is going to PAY money (and pay WELL), otherwise it's just a nice hobby, but you'll be broke. lol

In this day and age, education does not equal success. Hell, the very definition of success depends on who you talk to. Not everyone considers a cushy desk job with benefits and a nice check successful. For me personally, that's hell.

That's archaic thinking, believing that education will get you into a stable place financially. You can have a beautifully paying job without the hassle of college giving you mountains of debt by 25. But you'll have to work for it. In my current profession, film school would never teach me what I need to know on set. They teach you the technical, but nothing about how to deal with the plethora of problems that can actually occur. Learning how to problem solve and work efficiently is how you gain the connections to keep you working. And also being a good person. And an even better person to drink with.

I've learned more in my two years of freelancing than I would have learned in two years of school. And my current rate is a lovely 250-300 bucks a day.

In closing, success is defined by the individual, not by societal norms. And it's an ever evolving thing.

In this day and age, education does not equal success. Hell, the very definition of success depends on who you talk to. Not everyone considers a cushy desk job with benefits and a nice check successful. For me personally, that's hell.

That's archaic thinking, believing that education will get you into a stable place financially. You can have a beautifully paying job without the hassle of college giving you mountains of debt by 25. But you'll have to work for it. In my current profession, film school would never teach me what I need to know on set. They teach you the technical, but nothing about how to deal with the plethora of problems that can actually occur. Learning how to problem solve and work efficiently is how you gain the connections to keep you working. And also being a good person. And an even better person to drink with.

I've learned more in my two years of freelancing than I would have learned in two years of school. And my current rate is a lovely 250-300 bucks a day.

In closing, success is defined by the individual, not by societal norms. And it's an ever evolving thing.

Listen... You yourself have noted your struggles in surviving, so let's not kid each other here.  What I'm concerned about as a young professional and someone who assists in educating youth is how they don't value education and think that they can get ahead with just a high school diploma.  A lot of the kids that I work with their parents have limited education and it shows.  They are barely scraping by.  Then you have other kids that I work with whose parents are high earners, and they constantly stress education because they understand that it is still very important... That along with having connections.  Yes, an education for most folks today doesn't cut it, but given how competitive things are these days especially here in NYC, you're setting yourself back quite a bit without that.  

I understand that everyone isn't cut out for a white collar job, and that's fine, but folks have to pave a way for themselves, and in NYC these days, all of the transplants moving here are highly educated and skilled, so if you aren't, I don't see many options for you. Freelancing as a side gig is great (I do it myself because I have extra time and I make good money on my own schedule), but I don't depend on it. Depending on that to pay your bills... That's not so easy... At the end of the day, hobbies are fine, but some of these folks out here barely even have money to pay for subway rides to even fan, so as I said, it comes down to priorities and finding a balance.  

Listen... You yourself have noted your struggles in surviving, so let's not kid each other here. What I'm concerned about as a young professional and someone who assists in educating youth is how they don't value education and think that they can get ahead with just a high school diploma. A lot of the kids that I work with their parents have limited education and it shows. They are barely scraping by. Then you have other kids that I work with whose parents are high earners, and they constantly stress education because they understand that it is still very important... That along with having connections. Yes, an education for most folks today doesn't cut it, but given how competitive things are these days especially here in NYC, you're setting yourself back quite a bit without that.

I understand that everyone isn't cut out for a white collar job, and that's fine, but folks have to pave a way for themselves, and in NYC these days, all of the transplants moving here are highly educated and skilled, so if you aren't, I don't see many options for you. Freelancing as a side gig is great (I do it myself because I have extra time and I make good money on my own schedule), but I don't depend on it. Depending on that to pay your bills... That's not so easy... At the end of the day, hobbies are fine, but some of these folks out here barely even have money to pay for subway rides to even fan, so as I said, it comes down to priorities and finding a balance.

I did 4 years of a 5 year degree program in California and never graduated. Got insurance licenses and have done extremely well, until I got into Startup life (but that was out of boredom).

Now I'm getting my real estate license since commissions are much better than life and health.

When I first got here, I dated a woman who got only a GED but studied all the laws and theories on her own time as a receptionist and moved up to be head of a division of an accounting or VC firm (IDR which it was).

Education is important, but it's possible to do well without a Bachelor's. I've tried going back since 2010 (dropped out in 2002) and even transferred to Empire State College as impetus to move out here. Was just telling my best friend how I really don't want to get that BA since the way my life unfolded, and with the people I've networked with to work on my side hustle (screenwriting/teleplays), the degree wouldn't help since I'm going to be self-employed and/or freelancing for my money.

Cap and gowns are for most, but some of us just don't have the mindset for it. Guess my point is that if you believe in the bootstraps theory, you have to trust that some people will do just that - even if it's the hard way.

I did 4 years of a 5 year degree program in California and never graduated. Got insurance licenses and have done extremely well, until I got into Startup life (but that was out of boredom).

Now I'm getting my real estate license since commissions are much better than life and health.

When I first got here, I dated a woman who got only a GED but studied all the laws and theories on her own time as a receptionist and moved up to be head of a division of an accounting or VC firm (IDR which it was).

Education is important, but it's possible to do well without a Bachelor's. I've tried going back since 2010 (dropped out in 2002) and even transferred to Empire State College as impetus to move out here. Was just telling my best friend how I really don't want to get that BA since the way my life unfolded, and with the people I've networked with to work on my side hustle (screenwriting/teleplays), the degree wouldn't help since I'm going to be self-employed and/or freelancing for my money.

Cap and gowns are for most, but some of us just don't have the mindset for it. Guess my point is that if you believe in the bootstraps theory, you have to trust that some people will do just that - even if it's the hard way.

I never said it wasn't, but your example is a good one.  You still need some education with connections in this city, otherwise your options are limited. Most specialized skilled jobs require a good education.  As I said before, if education isn't for you, then make a way for yourself so that you can make money. That's what's important.  Hobbies are great, but if you're broke, there's only so much enjoying of them that you can do, since most take money to do anyway. 

Those always make me crack up.  Couldn't imagine walking around with one of those.  When I was really into photography, I had a Japanese digital camera that fit in one of my many pockets.  Would travel around Italy with it and no one would know I had one until I pulled it out.

LOL. Its not one of those gigantic ones (mine is a FinePix S700 which is pretty compact), but still won't fit in a fanny pack.

I draw a line when I got other matters to do (family matter, schoolwork, etc.)

I think railfans need to get along more often and help improve things, but of course that will take a while to occur. :/

LOL. Its not one of those gigantic ones (mine is a FinePix S700 which is pretty compact), but still won't fit in a fanny pack.

Understandable (accidentally upvoted BTW).

Archived