Track Worker 8600 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.0146181ce93fa58744dcf143f3d1d7aa.png

Track Worker, Exam No. 8600

List Status:  This list has been established as of January 8, 2020.

Pay: Starts at $24.77 and increases to

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (3400's) - For Medical: (3500's)

Next Training Class:

Resources: 2016 Track Participants Safety Guide

Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process Topic

(Updated 4/18/2023)

5 minutes ago, Kidbx175 said:

List was established on the 8th, if that was your  last day smoking, you should be good. STOP smoking period, this job is more important.

also if you think you might still have it in your system when they reach you for pre employment , just defer when they call you and then reinstate your name back on the list.  But seriously man stop smoking lol. 

I didn't know the list was published until I got my letter in the mail. It's not an issue for me to stop. I'm finished until it becomes recreational in NYS and jobs stop testing for it. Might happen this year or next.

I'm just wondering the possibility of getting called within the next 4 weeks. When do they start going down the 8600 list? Are they finished with the 3600 list? I should be clean in 3-4 weeks. Just trying to figure things out.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, jovius said:

I didn't know the list was published until I got my letter in the mail. It's not an issue for me to stop. I'm finished until it becomes recreational in NYS and jobs stop testing for it. Might happen this year or next.

I'm just wondering the possibility of getting called within the next 4 weeks. When do they start going down the 8600 list? Are they finished with the 3600 list? I should be clean in 3-4 weeks. Just trying to figure things out.

3600 list expired.

i would guess since they are sending out list numbers and 8600 is now established, they intend on calling some ppl in for pre employment. 

With your list number being so low you should be one of the first to get a pre employment letter. 

Now I don’t know when they will be sending those but I could guess and say you won’t get a reporting date no earlier than the middle or end of February. Just a guess. That’s if they even plan on calling people right away. 

7 hours ago, jovius said:

Hey guys. I have a question about drug tests. I smoke cannabis pretty regularly, and was planning to stop as soon as soon as the list was published.

My list number is in low double digits. I'm worried now that I won't have enough time to detox before I have to get tested. I don't plan on smoking again. But having smoked a lot this weekend has my stomach doing somersaults. 

I should have about a month or two before they start pulling from this list. Right? And even if I get called and go down to Livingston - do they test right there? I'm kind of freaking out here.

Just stop smoking in general and you won’t be so paranoid. You’ll always be drug tested for this job, whether it is legal or not as the MTA is a federal DOT regulated employer.

43 minutes ago, premo421 said:

Hello all. 

I recently had a change of address and did not receive my list number. What do I need to do in order to get that plus every other important mail they will send. Is there a number I can call to update my address and have them resend list number??

I'm on  the same boat, haven't received any letter with results yet. I'm getting a little anxious and nervous. On the notice for exam 8600 there is a section that indicates what to do in the event of contact information being changed. I had followed the process last January and updated but I'm afraid they didn't do their job. I made an inquiry with the DCAS and awaiting a response. If I don't receive any word or letter today, my next step is to call the office in Livingston. If anyone has any other information regarding,  I would appreciate it.Hope this helps.

According to Transit, they are saying you also have to contact DCAS. The form I received with my results says that you can complete this and email it to DCAS. Then again, you could also be receiving it in the mail any day now, because my notice of result is dated on the 27th. Hopefully that helps! 

6 minutes ago, Zoey said:

According to Transit, they are saying you also have to contact DCAS. The form I received with my results says that you can complete this and email it to DCAS. Then again, you could also be receiving it in the mail any day now, because my notice of result is dated on the 27th. Hopefully that helps! 

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Hi everyone just want to know about the working conditions. Under the job description, it said able to lift 95 pounds of materials and equipment is that done regularly? I am not that physically strong normally just around 65-70 pounds.

42 minutes ago, prtuc2 said:

Hi everyone just want to know about the working conditions. Under the job description, it said able to lift 95 pounds of materials and equipment is that done regularly? I am not that physically strong normally just around 65-70 pounds.

Check the 3600 thread, go through pages 30-60 it explains some of the work / training the guys go through. The whole thread is pretty informative being that those guys are pretty much experienced track workers and have gone through what we will all be going through soon hopefully. I would read and jump ahead every 10 pages until you find the information you looking for or if you have time, browse thewhile thread. 

Just got around to opening this letter today. It came on the 27th and I thought it was just regular info in regards to the 0624 Electronic Equipment Maintainer job I recently applied for. I opened it today and it says I've been placed on the eligible list. This was the first MTA test I've ever taken and it was so long ago I forgot all about it (the 0624 Electronic Equipment Maintainer will be my second ever.) 

I know a bunch of you guys are veterans at this whole process so I got a few questions:

1. What does letter mean exactly?

2. What exactly does a 'list number' mean?

3. Is list number 21XX.000 decent?

4. What do I do from here?

Edited by Movefromm3
Typo

44 minutes ago, Movefromm3 said:

Just got around to opening this letter today. It came on the 27th and I thought it was just regular info in regards to the 0624 Electronic Equipment Maintainer job I recently applied for. I opened it today and it says I've been placed on the eligible list. This was the first MTA test I've ever taken and it was so long ago I forgot all about it (the 0624 Electronic Equipment Maintainer will be my second ever.) 

I know a bunch of you guys are veterans at this whole process so I got a few questions:

1. What does letter mean exactly?

2. What exactly does a 'list number' mean?

3. Is list number 21XX.000 decent?

4. What do I do from here?

1. It's to tell you that the list has been established for hiring purposes. 

2. List number means when they call for job openings they start from 1 and goes up from there.

3. Depends, I'd say so, just would be a little bit.

4. Play the waiting game.

Good luck.

6 hours ago, Kinghim94 said:

Just got a letter today also and just found this thread list number 2500s. Also in the process for sanitation. I’m hearing and reading go DSNY. Top pay I read is 80k over there. Does track worker get up there? 

Definitely does.. you can check here to see how much money Track Workers made with NYCT back in 2018. You can also check here for the new TWU local 100 contract, which now maxes this title out at $36.36, different from the $33.10 that was in 2018.

4 hours ago, Zoey said:

Definitely does.. you can check here to see how much money Track Workers made with NYCT back in 2018. You can also check here for the new TWU local 100 contract, which now maxes this title out at $36.36, different from the $33.10 that was in 2018.

Damn 150k 200k , they putting in some hours lol. Thanks for the info

Congrats on everyone that passed, I'm 2 years on now from the 3600 test. I was in the mid 2000s on that list.

There has been some movement since i've been hired. a lot of retirees, promotions to foreman on going and a now promotion to third rail test was just given.

The going gossip is about a 300 drop to seniority come next pick for us, how quickly the MTA looks to update our seniority list and let us pick is unknown.

How quickly they attempt to fill in those now 300 or so vacancies is unknown as well.

We're suppose to get our contract raises and retro in March&April, don't think we'll have a pick until after those are here.

No trackworkers were making 150/200 those were mostly LIRR people making bank.

I can try to answer any questions you might have if it helps.

1 hour ago, Queensqueens111 said:

Congrats on everyone that passed, I'm 2 years on now from the 3600 test. I was in the mid 2000s on that list.

There has been some movement since i've been hired. a lot of retirees, promotions to foreman on going and a now promotion to third rail test was just given.

The going gossip is about a 300 drop to seniority come next pick for us, how quickly the MTA looks to update our seniority list and let us pick is unknown.

How quickly they attempt to fill in those now 300 or so vacancies is unknown as well.

We're suppose to get our contract raises and retro in March&April, don't think we'll have a pick until after those are here.

No trackworkers were making 150/200 those were mostly LIRR people making bank.

I can try to answer any questions you might have if it helps.

Dope man, thanks.

Next General Pick isn't till June 2021 though right?

I received a email from DCAS confirming address change I submitted. Hopefully I receive the exam results notice and all subsequent mail. They did inform to contact the MTA as well to update. Other than make time to call them  between 11-4 which I haven't been able to due to work, is there a way to submit address change online? If not I'll wIt till Monday and somehow make time.

On 1/30/2020 at 1:40 PM, dman1455 said:

Dope man, thanks.

Next General Pick isn't till June 2021 though right?

No set dates for picks in track, other departments have mandatory picks. Our foreman are mandated to pick once a year via contract. Track doesnt have any specifics and picks come at random it seems, with that said there is gossip now of us picking in March, foreman have already picked this year.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:26 PM, Rj617 said:

What is general pick ? I'm listed in the high 700's. Your best guess/ estimate time until being called?

general pick is a multiple day event where everyone picks a title via seniority order. Just about all jobs/reporting locations/sub departments/etc... are opening for picking. You can pick day spots, night spots, cleaning, maintenance, construction spots, special titles for a little extra money etc... Really no estimate with this time called stuff. Depends on a lot, They usually hired around 20 at time from what i was told but when I got hired they bumped it up to 50 at a time every 3 weeks but no telling what level of influx they will keep.