The Crime of being short $2.75: Policing communities of color at the turnstile

Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There's a lot of truth to what you're saying. In fact one of the things that the NYPD has been noting is that more drug dealers are setting up in safe, low-crime, quiet neighborhoods because they know that cops won't patrol as much, and it allows them to go about their business without being watched. A few years ago there was one of the biggest drug busts in NYC right in Riverdale, near Broadway, just steps away from tony Fieldston and Horace Mann School.  They had set up in a non-discreet building and were dealing like crazy. People in that part of Riverdale were in shock. I just chuckled since a lot of safe upper middle class neighborhoods are suffering from the same nonsense. Staten Island is the richest borough, and has the biggest drug problem out of the boroughs.  Not a coincidence.

In white areas, the main difference is things like drug dealing is done indoors, while in the minority areas, you see it right on the corner in some cases.  Much more blatant.  When I lived back in Southern Brooklyn as a teen, I would hang out at one of my friend's house on Fridays and we'd all have tequila shots or booze up.  The area was mainly white (this group of friends were mainly white and my buddy Dave was the only Asian in the group), but if you wanted 420, Dave could make a phone call and have some delivered in minutes, so basically there's a lot going on all over.  Just a question of what is seen and what isn't.

You also have the bias in white neighborhoods of “these guys are my friends so I’ll keep it off the books.” Scared straight, I think one of the biases is called. 

The other is “being sympathetic/he's a good guy/hard times." Like how alcoholic cops are rarely cited for DUIs or the stoner/tweeker in the neighborhood gets Stern talking-to's because the cops and his parents are friends and whatnot.

I did a few ridealongs when I was contemplating joined Sac or Placer County Sheriff - the stuff in the burbs that gets a slide but not in the hood...

Even had a buddy that lived next to a Sheriff's Department Narc Detective that had hydroponics in the yard growing "basil." Saw this dude rush home in an unmarked to relocate the equipment one day. Next day the chopper with infrared was flying looking for the grow.

Think he's a Sgt or Lt now - been about 8 years since then, and CA cop rank eligibility has a faster schedule than NYPD.

1 hour ago, brokecrazy said:

What about those who SHARE unlimited cards? or is that another topic?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but sharing an unlimited card isn't actually a crime? Soliciting is a crime, but if you walk out the turnstyle and shout "free swipe" and swipe your card as you walk out, the worst you get is a dirty look.

5 hours ago, quadcorder said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but sharing an unlimited card isn't actually a crime? Soliciting is a crime, but if you walk out the turnstyle and shout "free swipe" and swipe your card as you walk out, the worst you get is a dirty look.

IIRC, as long as you're not selling the ride, and exactly one person is using the ride, you should be in the clear. This isn't the LIRR where you can't use mom or dad's monthly pass.

Most of the people who are getting arrested have money on them when they're arrested they just didn't want to pay the fare.  I don't believe this poverty argument or cops targeting certain people because of race that's bs.  And from someone who actually have to deal with the fare beaters I say the statistics are RIGHT on.  

34 minutes ago, Rafa said:

Most of the people who are getting arrested have money on them when they're arrested they just didn't want to pay the fare.  I don't believe this poverty argument or cops targeting certain people because of race that's bs.  And from someone who actually have to deal with the fare beaters I say the statistics are RIGHT on.  

There's definitely a sense of entitlement with some people which is a big problem.  All over $2.75...

8 hours ago, Rafa said:

Gotta save that dollar for some grape soda and small fries.

Archived