how does the world cup delay bus service?

azspeedbullet

Is because of the extra traffic on the street or something else?

Delays  Posted: 07/03/2018  5:08PM

Q32, Q33, Q47, Q49, Q53-SBS, Q66, Q70-SBS, QM2, QM3 and QM20 buses are running with delays in both directions because of the World Cup Match.

1 minute ago, azspeedbullet said:

Is because of the extra traffic on the street or something else?

Because Colombia was playing today and those buses run through areas with sizable Colombian populations.  The QM2 doesn't stop in those areas, but it goes through them along Northern Blvd to reach Whitestone, Beechhurst, etc. and make its way to Bay Terrace.  The QM3 stops in Jackson Heights and runs along Northern Blvd.

22 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

When your country's playing in the world cup, you come out in full force....

Well, except for the U.S. - the American mens soccer team sucks.... and the sport of soccer is one of the last things that unifies this country !

3 teams that unify New York City. Colombia 🇨🇴 Brazil 🇧🇷 And Mexico 🇲🇽 .  Jackson Heights/Corona for Columbia, Williamsburg for Brazil, Sunset Park for Mexico. 

16 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

3 teams that unify New York City. Colombia 🇨🇴 Brazil 🇧🇷 And Mexico 🇲🇽 .  Jackson Heights/Corona for Columbia, Williamsburg for Brazil, Sunset Park for Mexico. 

Williamsburg for Brazil? I don't think of Williamsburg as Brazilian at all.  More like Astoria if anything.  

16 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Yeah, there are different nationalities that many different people in this city represent, but there isn't a single soccer team that unifies NYC... Not one.

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Williamsburg for Brazil? I don't think of Williamsburg as Brazilian at all.  More like Astoria if anything.  

Hell, I don't think of Astoria either.... I can't think of one neighborhood in this city that has any significant showing of Brazilians (if there even is one).....

Somewhere up in Massachusetts is supposed to have a big showing of em (*shrugs*)....

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, there are different nationalities that many different people in this city represent, but there isn't a single soccer team that unifies NYC... Not one.

Hell, I don't think of Astoria either.... I can't think of one neighborhood in this city that has any significant showing of Brazilians (if there even is one).....

Somewhere up in Massachusetts is supposed to have a big showing of em (*shrugs*)....

Astoria has a growing Latin American population, and Brazilians make up that population up there. It's still a Greek neighborhood overall, but seeing a Brazilian person in the area shouldn't come as a shock. However, their presence more than anywhere is in the Ironbound area of Newark with the Portuguese and the Spanish (as in from Spain - not sure where this whole thing came from of calling Spanish people anything but people from Spain but that's another topic. lol)

53 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Astoria has a growing Latin American population, and Brazilians make up that population up there. It's still a Greek neighborhood overall, but seeing a Brazilian person in the area shouldn't come as a shock. However, their presence more than anywhere is in the Ironbound area of Newark with the Portuguese and the Spanish (as in from Spain - not sure where this whole thing came from of calling Spanish people anything but people from Spain but that's another topic. lol)

Heh, yeah, the Ironbound I knew out.... Harrison not too far away has some showing of them as well.

As for the Spanish thing, "Hispanic" & "Spanish" tend to be used interchangeably by many people... My best guess is that, when you can't tell what spanish speaking country someone is from, they're (lazily) dubbed as the language they (look like) they speak, instead of risking referring to them by a nationality that they aren't (which are problems you don't want... lol)....

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Heh, yeah, the Ironbound I knew out.... Harrison not too far away has some showing of them as well.

As for the Spanish thing, "Hispanic" & "Spanish" tend to be used interchangeably by many people... My best guess is that, when you can't tell what spanish speaking country someone is from, they're (lazily) dubbed as the language they (look like) they speak, instead of risking referring to them by a nationality that they aren't (which are problems you don't want... lol)....

Yeah, people's laziness and ignorance.  I have co-workers from Spain who would do a double-take at the idea of a Latino being called "Spanish". LOL!

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Only reason I threw that in is b/c I know of 2 Brazilan restaurants. Both on the south side of Williamsburg which is heavy brailizan fan base. However, Queens overall has that. 

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Only reason I threw that in is b/c I know of 2 Brazilan restaurants. Both on the south side of Williamsburg which is heavy brailizan fan base. However, Queens overall has that. 

lol... Brazilians would be more likely to live in Queens before Brooklyn in heavy numbers, just because of the presence of other Latin Americans.  A good portion of them understand Spanish even though they become frustrated at times because it's so close to Portuguese that they may say a word in Portuguese and not in Spanish.  I had a few Brazilians in my office a little while ago this morning to have some work done.  Likely living in Queens.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, people's laziness and ignorance.  I have co-workers from Spain who would do a double-take at the idea of a Latino being called "Spanish". LOL!

To be fair, a lot of New Yorkers of Hispanic descent also don't fail to self-identify as Spanish when talking about that entire subgroup. (Yes, they also use Hispanic, or Latino/a/x, or whatever, but it's not uncommon.

53 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

To be fair, a lot of New Yorkers of Hispanic descent also don't fail to self-identify as Spanish when talking about that entire subgroup.

(Yes, they also use Hispanic, or Latino/a/x, or whatever, but it's not uncommon.

That's the other side of the coin to what I brought up in post #8 & it's something I was going to bring up in that very post.... As much as it's ignorant & lazy to call someone of Hispanic descent Spanish when they aren't so, it is just as lazy for a non-Spaniard to not check someone for calling them Spanish...

Call a someone from the DR a Rican or vice versa though & they're ready to rip your head off..... I did the former to an ex' (jokingly) & she was not having it.

6 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Call a someone from the DR a Rican or vice versa though & they're ready to rip your head off..... I did the former to an ex' (jokingly) & she was not having it.

Dunno if it's the same out here, but in NorCal you are in for a world of screams calling a first generation African immigrant black.

18 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I was at a place, and someone introduced me as Puerto Rican, right after telling them I was Dominican too. Like what!?!?!? Unfortunately I had to maintain my composure.

As far as the Hispanic vs. Spanish, I only really say Hispanic to people from outside of Spain. In Spanish though, we do call ourselves 'Hispano/a' or 'Latino/a'. May be because some don't know a lot of English and assume Spanish also refers to them as well. Some South American countries though actually know this difference more than others. Peruvians tend to be more formal. My father was definently formal. He would jokingly criticize her because he had the biggest trouble when it came to understanding my mother's Domician Spanish.

31 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I was at a place, and someone introduced me as Puerto Rican, right after telling them I was Dominican too. Like what!?!?!? Unfortunately I had to maintain my composure.

As far as the Hispanic vs. Spanish, I only really say Hispanic to people from outside of Spain. In Spanish though, we do call ourselves 'Hispano/a' or 'Latino/a'. May be because some don't know a lot of English and assume Spanish also refers to them as well. Some South American countries though actually know this difference more than others. Peruvians tend to be more formal. My father was definently formal. He would jokingly criticize her because he had the biggest trouble when it came to understanding my mother's Domician Spanish.

I started practicing my Spanish again (high school and college learned), and even when you know there are accents (like -th in Castillian for -s, ie uthedeth instead of ustedes), you never realize how different they are until you hear Hondurans speaking with PRs or DRs.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Dunno if it's the same out here, but in NorCal you are in for a world of screams calling a first generation African immigrant black.

It's like that everywhere. Though generally the sticking terms are "African American", and Black is kind of a de-facto catch-all when talking about topics that affect all the subgroups equally (like discrimination.)

I remember in college when they proposed merging the Black Student Union, the Carribean one, and the African one. Those were fun times.

15 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

To be fair, a lot of New Yorkers of Hispanic descent also don't fail to self-identify as Spanish when talking about that entire subgroup. (Yes, they also use Hispanic, or Latino/a/x, or whatever, but it's not uncommon.

I have a large amount of Latino friends, some from South America (Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina, etc.) and from the Caribbean, and I find the South American Latinos a bit more aware culturally.  There are some from the Caribbean (DR and PR that aren't so culturally aware and are more "Americanized" (as in not so fluent in Spanish) that I feel like being called "Spanish".  You hear them and they're like "I'm Spanish yo", and I'm just sitting there laughing to myself like hermano, no eres español.  :lol:

I guess they feel a level of superiority, though some are indeed ignorant.  My Venezuelan friend wanted me to travel with him to Spain and other countries in Europe since I had lived in Europe previously.  He told me about how he tried speaking Spanish there and they weren't having any of it because he was in Catalonia where they proudly speak Catalan. I'm sure you know of the whole succession movement there over the years.  That is definitely more preferred over Castillan Spanish. One of my colleagues is from there and he definitely refers to himself as Catalan first and Spanish second, feeling as if Spain has always depressed Catalonia.  He regularly introduces me to his friends and they immediately switch to Catalan after the introduction upon me stepping away.  Definitely an interesting language.  If you've read it and worked it as I have regularly, it reminds me a bit of French with some similarities to Spanish.

Archived