Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

19 hours ago, 7-express said:

It seems like since the new pick, some of the QM drivers heading back to NE Queens in the afternoon rush are quite literally rushing out of the city.  Over the last 2 weeks, my bus has run hot on many days, leaving 59th/Lex at least 5 minutes earlier than scheduled.  Heck today, I tried to catch the QM20 that was supposed to depart at 1623.  I got to the stop 10 minutes early only to see the QM20 rolling away towards 3rd Avenue...

I've had the exact same experience and got similarly burned 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/17/2019 at 10:24 PM, Lil 57 said:

Thanks!

Looking back, the QM1 used to have midday service on Weekdays. Was it unreliable before it got cut and replaced by re-routed QM5 buses?

It was pretty reliable, which makes it all the more suspicious that they now can not make service even with fewer runs to fill

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've had the exact same experience and got similarly burned 

21 hours ago, 7-express said:

It seems like since the new pick, some of the QM drivers heading back to NE Queens in the afternoon rush are quite literally rushing out of the city.  Over the last 2 weeks, my bus has run hot on many days, leaving 59th/Lex at least 5 minutes earlier than scheduled.  Heck today, I tried to catch the QM20 that was supposed to depart at 1623.  I got to the stop 10 minutes early only to see the QM20 rolling away towards 3rd Avenue...

I brought this up in my last meeting, and it's a problem again. We'll discuss this again, along with adjusting the run times.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:36 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They're not supposed to, as those buses are supposed to alternate (so an SIM3C shows up, followed by an SIM34, then an SIM3C, etc.). It's not entirely evenly scheduled, but it is scheduled in a way that there isn't an overlap (except for between the last SIM34 and the SIM3 proceeding it a minute later). It's falls off though with the SIM35, there is no even schedule there. Somewhat good for the downtown folks, but not too good for the Midtown folks. Those SIM3 folks will likely consider taking the SIM30 or SIM31 instead.

Meanwhile, the SIM2 remains the same as any weekday.

More lousy service on the Union Turnpike corridor. The 8pm QM6 trip to Midtown was almost 40 minutes late to Union Turnpike and Main Street (was due at 20:22 and arrived at 21:00) on a Sunday night with NO traffic. Unacceptable! As you can see the 21:00 QM6 is only about 20 minutes or so behind...

50299087_10215702845256597_5372406584330

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

More lousy service on the Union Turnpike corridor. The 8pm QM6 trip to Midtown was almost 40 minutes late to Union Turnpike and Main Street (was due at 20:22 and arrived at 21:00) on a Sunday night with NO traffic. Unacceptable! As you can see the 21:00 QM6 is only about 20 minutes or so behind...

50299087_10215702845256597_5372406584330

@QM1to6Ave I have taken screenshots of this on my iPad so I can show Road Operations, and then the schedulers and planners can tell me what in the hell they changed for the Winter 2019 schedules because clearly there are some problems.

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@QM1to6Ave I have taken screenshots of this on my iPad so I can show Road Operations, and then the schedulers and planners can tell me what in the hell they changed for the Winter 2019 schedules because clearly there are some problems.

No kidding! The buses are running hot in Manhattan but late in Queens. Makes no sense

1 minute ago, QM1to6Ave said:

No kidding! The buses are running hot in Manhattan but late in Queens. Makes no sense

They were doing ok for a while, but I noticed this with the QM1 especially. They get 10 minutes to do the loop, and those guys are leaving the terminal before it's even time because they don't have enough time otherwise to get to Union Turnpike and Queens Blvd.  They also will leave Union Turnpike and 260th early on the QM5.  The schedules are just a mess.  I'm working on my agenda now.  I was given last Thursday as a meeting date which I turned down, so we're likely looking at the last week this month to meet, this way I have time to finalize my questions and my contact at the MTA that set up this meeting can see if he has questions regarding my questions or wants to add anything.  The last meeting went over because it we got into a heated exchange about their on-time metrics. LOL

Update to audit.  Senator Biaggi just noted our calls for a new audit and will keep us abreast once they finish getting their information together.  Additionally, we will be following up with the Comptroller's Office after we meet with the (MTA) .  Additionally we are exploring other matters besides an audit to see how we can further keep the pressure on to get this service turned around. This morning people in Throggs Neck waited at least 30 minutes to an hour during rush hour in 5 degree weather because the 6:45 was missing and came bunched with the 7:15. 

50519276_10215705035951363_9325113678883

@Via Garibaldi 8

Have you looked into if the added SIM2 trips are running. Haven't seen them on bustime at all (which may mean that it's not programmed to show up or something). Usually on bustime, the notice that there's no scheduled service disappears around like 30 minutes before the start of service. I checked 13 minutes prior to that, and it was still there. I can't see the 2:30 PM SIM2 at all (and I know it couldn't have gotten to Tottenville in 40-45 minutes).

11 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

@Via Garibaldi 8

Have you looked into if the added SIM2 trips are running. Haven't seen them on bustime at all (which may mean that it's not programmed to show up or something). Usually on bustime, the notice that there's no scheduled service disappears around like 30 minutes before the start of service. I checked 13 minutes prior to that, and it was still there. I can't see the 2:30 PM SIM2 at all (and I know it couldn't have gotten to Tottenville in 40-45 minutes).

Today is MLK day and the MLK schedule has service starting at 3:05 PM so that might have something to do with it.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/bus/spcl_martinLutherday/sim002mlkcur.pdf

(Other than those 2 trips it's the same as the regular SIM2 schedule)

14 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

@Via Garibaldi 8

The schedule hasn't been updated yet.  I may have to ask one of my contacts if they can find out for me.  They took a while to upload the MLK schedules too though. If they aren't updated when my meeting comes up, I'll inquire about it.  Nevertheless, I have the SIM2 on my agenda anyway. Originally it was supposed to be me only, but it looks like I may have someone from Senator Biaggi's office with me.  

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

Today is MLK day and the MLK schedule has service starting at 3:05 PM so that might have something to do with it.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/bus/spcl_martinLutherday/sim002mlkcur.pdf

(Other than those 2 trips it's the same as the regular SIM2 schedule)

Yeah, but the regular schedules were supposed to start last week.  I'll check tomorrow when regular service resumes. I'll also post in my group and in the Staten Island group just to be sure that the (MTA) sees it since they monitor both groups.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The schedule hasn't been updated yet.  I may have to ask one of my contacts if they can find out for me.  They took a while to upload the MLK schedules too though. If they aren't updated when my meeting comes up, I'll inquire about it.  Nevertheless, I have the SIM2 on my agenda anyway. Originally it was supposed to be me only, but it looks like I may have someone from Senator Biaggi's office with me.  

Also, how did people deal with that 70-minute gap from the last SIM10 and the first SIM1C to Midtown this morning?'

There's also a 42-minute gap between the last SIM10 and first SIM1C in the evening as well. (The SIM1C is running worse than a Sunday schedule at some points of the day as well.)

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, but the regular schedules were supposed to start last week.  I'll check tomorrow when regular service resumes. I'll also post in my group and in the Staten Island group just to be sure that the (MTA) sees it since they monitor both groups.

I remember seeing those SIM2 trips on Friday, even though the 2 PM trip was bunched with the 2:30 PM trip.

4 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I remember seeing those SIM2 trips on Friday, even though the 2 PM trip was bunched with the 2:30 PM trip.

I've asked for the Staten Island rep that was in my meeting last time to come again. He was the most dismissive and I want to hear what he has to say about these new schedules.  He used "traffic" as the excuse last time. Well traffic hasn't been such an issue now compared to the holidays, and there are buses missing at 5 in the morning. There is a deeper issue here at play. I'm not sure why but they are seriously short on drivers at a number of depots.  

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've asked for the Staten Island rep that was in my meeting last time to come again. He was the most dismissive and I want to hear what he has to say about these new schedules.  He used "traffic" as the excuse last time. Well traffic hasn't been such an issue now compared to the holidays, and there are buses missing at 5 in the morning. There is a deeper issue here at play. I'm not sure why but they are seriously short on drivers at a number of depots.  

That's because the employment process for bus drivers takes forever and because bus drivers are treated so poorly.

Just now, Lawrence St said:

That's because the employment process for bus drivers takes forever and because bus drivers are treated so poorly.

They have drivers in training regularly.  What I will say is that the training process is a joke. They don't give these guys enough time to learn the routes before they are throwing them to wolves.  

16 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

PM QM1 Update (1/21/2019):

3/4 buses showed up today, with the 4:00 PM bus being a no-show. Saying that buses were running once an hour today, this is unacceptable.

We were actually just talking about missing trips today in my group.  There are so many buses running hourly and yet there were missing trips today or they were severely late.  The BxM9 especially is something else in the morning. I'm talking EARLY in the morning, there are buses missing regularly, leading to standing room only.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We were actually just talking about missing trips today in my group.  There are so many buses running hourly and yet there were missing trips today or they were severely late.  The BxM9 especially is something else in the morning. I'm talking EARLY in the morning, there are buses missing regularly, leading to standing room only.

Plus temperatures are freezing cold, at 9 AM it was 5 degrees with a feel of -24. Imagine waiting an hour in that weather.

Just now, Lil 57 said:

Plus temperatures are freezing cold, at 9 AM it was 5 degrees with a feel of -24. Imagine waiting an hour in that weather.

Yeah. Those BxM9 customers this morning... Apparently some were waiting upwards of an HOUR trying to get to work.  Really incredible...  I have some elected officials in my group, and one of them wants to attend the next meeting with me, and I'm sure they're going to want to know why service is such a mess.  

That is really insane. I will say that my QM5 back home tonight was not showing up on Bustime. Thankfully I got it at the first stop today so I didn't bother checking bustime. If I had been waiting at the last stop as usual, I would have assumed it wasn't coming rather than waiting in that cold. It also got to the last stop hot and left early. What a frickin mess this pick has been so far. 

4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That is really insane. I will say that my QM5 back home tonight was not showing up on Bustime. Thankfully I got it at the first stop today so I didn't bother checking bustime. If I had been waiting at the last stop as usual, I would have assumed it wasn't coming rather than waiting in that cold. It also got to the last stop hot and left early. What a frickin mess this pick has been so far. 

BusTime was also a mess. @Lil 57 The first QM1 DID come. However there were some buses appearing and disappearing on the other QM Union Turnpike branches. This is a day where one wants to track your bus inside somewhere and come outside.

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

BusTime was also a mess. @Lil 57 The first QM1 DID come. However there were some buses appearing and disappearing on the other QM Union Turnpike branches. This is a day where one wants to track your bus inside somewhere and come outside.

At least all the buses came, but if you're waiting at your job or somewhere, you're going to think that the bus isn't coming. Since 1/17 81% of the trips have shown up with 100% of the trips showing up today and Friday.

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

At least all the buses came, but if you're waiting at your job or somewhere, you're going to think that the bus isn't coming. Since 1/17 81% of the trips have shown up with 100% of the trips showing up today and Friday.

Yeah and that's after I started contacting elected officials.  I would post almost daily in my group about missing QM1 trips and every day the same crap.  It's really been the pits since this pick started and totally inexcusable.