Would An Overnight Bus Network Work For Staten Island (And Eventually NYC)?

Lil 57

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

Maybe it wasn't designed to be a pulse (SCT is too busy trying to make a budget out of couch cushions and shoestrings), but hey, all the buses holding every hour is basically a pulse in spirit. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

So what you're inadvertently telling me with that mindset is that Smith Haven Mall is a hub.... That's actually funny (and untrue)....

AFLAC !!!

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

Just because the network right now is mostly-grid shaped doesn't mean there aren't hubs where lots of buses meet (Flushing, Jamaica, QCM, West Farms Square, Fordham Plaza, The Hub, Downtown Brooklyn, WBP,  The Junction; you get the point). When you're down to the overnight hourly/half-hourly that stuff also becomes a lot simpler to coordinate.

Of course I get that point - and none of this is, or was being disputed FTR....

Mentioning that a hub based network is a prerequisite for a pulse-type setup though, isn't implicating that you can't have a multifaceted bus network containing a hub....

When we consider overnight service, I mean hell, the grid is rather broken anyway... Lmao....

21 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

So what you're inadvertently telling me with that mindset is that Smith Haven Mall is a hub.... That's actually funny (and untrue)....

AFLAC !!!

Of course I get that point - and none of this is, or was being disputed FTR....

Mentioning that a hub based network is a prerequisite for a pulse-type setup though, isn't implicating that you can't have a multifaceted bus network containing a hub....

When we consider overnight service, I mean hell, the grid is rather broken anyway... Lmao....

The MTA doesn't even pretend to maintain the grid overnight. Heck, it doesn't pretend to have an overnight network! Might as well give up the pretense.

If the MTA weren't so foolishly cheap about how they run bus services overnight then it might actually be usable for New Yorkers. 

The MTA is cheap running service at ALL TIME with their BS “service guidelines”. 

The problem with the MTA is that they treat each bus routes as individuals instead of treating it as a system. This may work during the daytime when everything is not too infrequent. But at night it really shows, because you would leave the subway and see that the bus left 5 min ago, and have to wait 55 min.

I think San Francisco used to have holds at multiple intersections where passengers would connect and they would continue onto the next transfer point and hold for 5 min there again. It would be designated with a circle on the map, which means that intersection is a guaranteed transfer point.

Edited by Mtatransit

51 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

The MTA doesn't even pretend to maintain the grid overnight. Heck, it doesn't pretend to have an overnight network! Might as well give up the pretense.

If the MTA weren't so foolishly cheap about how they run bus services overnight then it might actually be usable for New Yorkers. 

There's no pretense to be had.... All overnight service is, is a degenerated remnant of the bus network during the daytime....

I'm not the person talking about an overnight network... I'm the person saying they should look into running more routes & more service (freq. wise) overnight than they currently do... That would result in making buses useful overnights whilst not being so f***ing cheap all in the same...

48 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

The MTA is cheap running service at ALL TIME with their BS “service guidelines”. 

The problem with the MTA is that they treat each bus routes as individuals instead of treating it as a system. This may work during the daytime when everything is not too infrequent. But at night it really shows, because you would leave the subway and see that the bus left 5 min ago, and have to wait 55 min....

While true that this agency is cheap when it comes to running service period (which is why I've said for the longest that they don't care about the riding public), I don't think they have much of a choice but to treat each route individually.... The network is simply too gargantuan to try to integrate everything....

• 1 month later...

The OP must be familiar with the Blue Night Network of the TTC, which ironically was where Andy Byford worked from 2013-8. I do agree that there might be justification for an overnight network, but not all the routes as the OP suggests. 

Routes I would suggest:

S340: Current S40 routing to Port Richmond, via Port Richmond Avenue, then the S46 route to Edward Curry Avenue, and then west on Curry to Matrix Park.

S346: Current S46 routing to Port Richmond, then via the S59 route to Rockland Avenue. Operations via Rockland, Kelly, Richmond Valley, and Marsh, then via Richmond Avenue to terminate at the Eltingville Transit Center.

S348: Current S48 routing.

S352: Current S52 routing, but bypassing the South Beach Houses loop (served by S378 instead) extended to Grant City via S51 south of Seaview Avenue (after serving SI University Hospital)--

S353: Current S53 routing.

S362: Current S62 routing.

S374: Current S74 routing, but no Bricktown Mall. Terminate in Tottenville

S378: S51 routing to Hylan Boulevard in Rosebank, then via Hylan to Sand Lane, operate via McClean to serve South Beach Houses, continue to Hylan via Reid, then S78 route to Tottenville. No Bricktown Mall.

S379: Current S79SBS routing, but all local stops. No SI Mall (operate via Marsh Avenue).

It works easiest for Staten Island as there is a common "pulse point" at either 86 Street or the SI Ferry.

12 hours ago, Lex said:

This thread isn't even two months old and is already proving to be a zombie...

Alot of threds die in a month or two so IDK why you need to write that on a thred that I made a while ago😕

21 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

S340: Current S40 routing to Port Richmond, via Port Richmond Avenue, then the S46 route to Edward Curry Avenue, and then west on Curry to Matrix Park.

S346: Current S46 routing to Port Richmond, then via the S59 route to Rockland Avenue. Operations via Rockland, Kelly, Richmond Valley, and Marsh, then via Richmond Avenue to terminate at the Eltingville Transit Center.

I would suggest switching the S340 and the S346 routing after Port Richmond. Richmond Ave would have a quicker way to the Richmond Ave Corridor. The S346 would then become an S46 rerouted to Matrix Park. Makes the routes straighter as well.