Xcelsior XD40

Abigail684

Is it me or these 2018 XD40 breaking down like crazy. This is the 2nd XD40 bus I've gone on that broke down. I was stuck on #7692 on the bx17 line for 11 minutes just a little while ago. The bus driver then lets us off the bus to wait for another bus.  No one has a clue how to get the bus working. I also don't understand why XN40 #735 is still sounding like a garbage truck. I got on it to go to work this morning It's been a month that bus been sounding that way. Just wanting to share something today.

Probably Teething issues.... happens with all brand new transit vehicles, I wouldn't sweat it.

I see those buses all the time on the B6 and B82 SBS and they are usually running and working well. Only seen one break down on the B6 once when UP first got them.

2 hours ago, Abigail684 said:

Is it me or these 2018 XD40 breaking down like crazy. This is the 2nd XD40 bus I've gone on that broke down. I was stuck on #7692 on the bx17 line for 11 minutes just a little while ago. The bus driver then lets us off the bus to wait for another bus.  No one has a clue how to get the bus working. I also don't understand why XN40 #735 is still sounding like a garbage truck. I got on it to go to work this morning It's been a month that bus been sounding that way. Just wanting to share something today.

It's probably running hot for w/e reason.... Time to flush out the engine.

2 hours ago, Abigail684 said:

I also don't understand why XN40 #735 is still sounding like a garbage truck. I got on it to go to work this morning It's been a month that bus been sounding that way. Just wanting to share something today.

That doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with the bus. They also make whistling and ringing noises when the AC is on, but that's not something wrong with the XN40s either.

23 hours ago, Abigail684 said:

The R179s in the subway system (which are new) break down due to software bugs, just like or similar to your XD40 situation. Just because it's new doesn't make it issue-free. 

In other words, "quality doesn't equal perfection." 

On 3/18/2019 at 11:02 PM, Around the Horn said:

That doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with the bus. They also make whistling and ringing noises when the AC is on, but that's not something wrong with the XN40s either.

Actually I was on XN40 735 this morning, it sounds like an Industrial fan. The noise is coming from the back of the Bus, it could either be the HVAC or the Engine. I most highly think its the HVAC since the XN40's have their HVAC Mounted on the rear of the bus, but in terms of the bus being loud, it is loud.

Archived