Line 2 Strip Map From 2002

LordAMoore

I recently brought one of the Line 2 strip maps and I was wondering if there was any info as to when it stopped being used/was updated, what colour the lights were as I'd love to get it lot again and also if the lights would turn on and stay on, on but turn off when you get to the stop, or weather the light just changed position depending on the stop.

The date on the back is from 2002

https://imgur.com/a/pPdkgqQ

Thanks

On 5/31/2019 at 7:06 PM, LordAMoore said:

I recently brought one of the Line 2 strip maps and I was wondering if there was any info as to when it stopped being used/was updated, what colour the lights were as I'd love to get it lot again and also if the lights would turn on and stay on, on but turn off when you get to the stop, or weather the light just changed position depending on the stop.

Thanks

Are you sure this strip map is from 2002.

Back in 2002, the Barclays Center was not yet built. That opened in 2012. And the (9) train was a service that was still in operation. (9) train service was discontinued in 2005.

40 minutes ago, <6>PelhamExp said:

Back in 2002, the Barclays Center was not yet built. That opened in 2012. And the (9) train was a service that was still in operation. (9) train service was discontinued in 2005.

The map is from 2002. Barclays Center and the transfers are stickers placed on top of the original map.

31 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The map is from 2002. Barclays Center and the transfers are stickers placed on top of the original map.

You're right.

If you look extremely closely, I can see where there transfer sticker is placed over the original transfers.

Thanks

Nearly certain they were removed in late 2017 as an effort to introduce a single strip map that could be used on both the (2) & (5) lines. Equipment between those two lines were frequently exchanged and static strip-maps for each line often caused confusion for passengers, especially during rush-hours and service changes.

There was an amber light used for each stop. The lights remained a steady until the train was in close proximity of that stations specific light. It would then begin a blinking interval as the train enters the station. The light would then completely turn off once the doors are opened at the stop.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:52 AM, <6>PelhamExp said:

The Barclays was added after with a sticker placed on top of the original stop

On 6/10/2019 at 3:37 PM, 40MntVrn said:

Nearly certain they were removed in late 2017 as an effort to introduce a single strip map that could be used on both the (2) & (5) lines. Equipment between those two lines were frequently exchanged and static strip-maps for each line often caused confusion for passengers, especially during rush-hours and service changes.

There was an amber light used for each stop. The lights remained a steady until the train was in close proximity of that stations specific light. It would then begin a blinking interval as the train enters the station. The light would then completely turn off once the doors are opened at the stop.

Thanks for that, I went no NYC September 2017 pretty sure I saw a few of these versions while I was there as well as the mixed :15x15_px_02: and (5), as soon as I saw this for sale I had to get it, next payday im going to make a box for it to slide into and get it all lit back up again, when looking on youtube I cab only find vids of the 5 and 7 strip of the same type so thats for the info, its something i never took photos of when I was there or paid that much attention to other then the stops I was going to.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:01 PM, paulrivera said:

There’s like three different variations of (4) line strip maps. I wish some of them would be sold off online as well...

Just keep checking here

http://web.mta.info/nyct/materiel/collectsales/index.html

Thats where I got my strip, hopefully they'll show at some point unless they've already been sold, they have an email you can contact to find out :)

20 hours ago, <6>PelhamExp said:

I tried the link but its not working 😞 

The hyperlink in the quoted post is omitting the "l" in "html" for some reason. Just manually copy the entire link or add the missing letter, and it will lead you there.

Edited by Gong Gahou
Clarification

Thanks

Just a correction, throughout 2002 until September, the (2) ran local with the (1). So where is the local stops? I think you have a custom made strip map

On 6/5/2019 at 9:33 PM, Around the Horn said:

It can’t be. There are no more than two red bullets at each of the 7th Avenue line stops (presumably the (3) and (1)) and Borough Hall has only one yellow bullet (presumably the (R)). Maybe it’s a typo and they meant 2012, which would make sense given the absence of the (brownM) and (N) at Borough Hall and the complete absence of the <Q>, (V), (W) and (9)

4 hours ago, Subway fanatic said:

Just a correction, throughout 2002 until September, the (2) ran local with the (1). So where is the local stops? I think you have a custom made strip map

The (2) line strip map never had the local stops (though the trains announced them, even while still referring to themselves as express, go figure). Even the current (2)(5) strip map doesn’t have the local stops, though I think that’s probably due to lack of space and amber lights.

Come to think of it, I wonder if there even was a 2002 R142 (2) line map. I rode the (2) nearly every day that year. Whenever I didn’t get a Redbird train, I noticed that maps always showed only the (N) and (R) at Times Square (no (Q)<Q> or (W)), only the (F) at 14th (no (V)) and the (B)(D) and (orangeQ) at Atlantic (again no (Q)<Q> or (W)). And the announcements matched up with the incorrect transfers.

49 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It can’t be. There are no more than two red bullets at each of the 7th Avenue line stops (presumably the (3) and (1)) and Borough Hall has only one yellow bullet (presumably the (R)). Maybe it’s a typo and they meant 2012, which would make sense given the absence of the (brownM) and (N) at Borough Hall and the complete absence of the <Q>, (V), (W) and (9)

The (2) line strip map never had the local stops (though the trains announced them, even while still referring to themselves as express, go figure). Even the current (2)(5) strip map doesn’t have the local stops, though I think that’s probably due to lack of space and amber lights.

Come to think of it, I wonder if there even was a 2002 R142 (2) line map. I rode the (2) nearly every day that year. Whenever I didn’t get a Redbird train, I noticed that maps always showed only the (N) and (R) at Times Square (no (Q)<Q> or (W)), only the (F) at 14th (no (V)) and the (B)(D) and (orangeQ) at Atlantic (again no (Q)<Q> or (W)). And the announcements matched up with the incorrect transfers.

I was very young around 2002 so I wouldn't remember very good. The MTA probably didn't update the 2000 strip maps since the service in 2002 was temporary or maybe you didn't catch the newer sets (2002-2003) in service at the time. The original 1999-2000 sets had the 6 Av and (N)(R) only. Maybe the newer sets coming in 2002-2003 had the updated Broadway service. The R142 order for the (2) finished by June 2003. 

Also not to get off topic slightly but when the (2) ran fully local after 9/11 and duration of 2002, was the service efficient and what was the rolling stock? 

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Take a look at a pic that OP posted:

xTAQD2u.jpg

You can see here close up how the modern services are stickers placed on top of the original 2002 map.

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Take a look at a pic that OP posted:

xTAQD2u.jpg

You can see here close up how the modern services are stickers placed on top of the original 2002 map.

Now I see it. A sticker on top of a sticker on top of the original map. Gotta say, it’s much easier to make it out on my work computer screen than it was on my iPhone on the subway this morning.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:02 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Now I see it. A sticker on top of a sticker on top of the original map. Gotta say, it’s much easier to make it out on my work computer screen than it was on my iPhone on the subway this morning.

Yea there's been a few changes over the years, date on the back states 2002, so not sure if that's when it was made or out in to service, but was taken out around 2016.

I've just started a new job so as soon as I get paid I'm making a light up box unit for it