Cuomo was never going to let Byford Fix the Subways.

LGA Link N Train

More like to me Cuomo's donors insist he show complete control over everything at all times. IMO, I suspect Cuomo is obsessed about getting the elusive fourth term as Governor his father failed to get in 1994 because of IMO circumstances outside the elder Cuomo's control.    That to me has been driving Cuomo to do what he does. 

8 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

It just doesn't make sense, Cuomo hired Byford to improve the system, then Byford actually started to improve the system, doesn't Cuomo realize that looks good on him?

And there's the problem. @Gotham Bus Co has said it before, and I agree with him (I assume you're a him). Politically, if they fix the problem, they won't have anything to complain about, thus win more votes. Put it like this: ''Tis mot the Politician's job to fix the issues, but to remain in office'' or something to that effect. 

Hell, I never expected them to "let" Byford fix things anyway.

1 hour ago, Missabassie said:

And there's the problem. @Gotham Bus Co has said it before, and I agree with him (I assume you're a him). Politically, if they fix the problem, they won't have anything to complain about, thus win more votes. Put it like this: ''Tis mot the Politician's job to fix the issues, but to remain in office'' or something to that effect. 

Or it’s that as Byford fixed the system, Andy’s neglect gets exposed. Look at how Safe Seconds was more effective at clearing delays than the SAP. The former was Byford doing what @RR503 advocated - managing the system effectively for service improvements, while the SAP was “years of pain for eventual relief”. When you’re an egomaniac, not getting the positive headlines makes you crazy.

1 hour ago, Missabassie said:

24 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Or it’s that as Byford fixed the system, Andy’s neglect gets exposed. Look at how Safe Seconds was more effective at clearing delays than the SAP. The former was Byford doing what @RR503 advocated - managing the system effectively for service improvements, while the SAP was “years of pain for eventual relief”. When you’re an egomaniac, not getting the positive headlines makes you crazy.

Wasn't Save Safe Seconds looked at somewhat negatively because it didn't need additional resources to get started?

13 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Wasn't Save Safe Seconds looked at somewhat negatively because it didn't need additional resources to get started?

So fixing the problem simply and cheaply instead of flushing billions down the toilet?

Makes Cuomo look like an idiot. And depletes his donors of funds. And he gets the “Tax and spend liberal” label - which I personally don’t think is a pejorative because we have so many needs no one is meeting - but for a Clintonian like Cuomo, he can’t abide that moniker.

So Byford had to go so he could limit the damage.

4 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Cuomo is a diva, water is wet, and leaving the state continues to be a great decision for my day to day quality of life.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

I’ve had that thought in my head too, but more so leaving the city.

But I’d go to Europe. 

At this rate, I don't blame anyone for wanting to jump ship; for me the time came when I realized being New York born-and-raised meant nothing without cold, hard cash.

Edited by R10 2952
miscellaneous

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

I’ve had that thought in my head too, but more so leaving the city.

But I’d go to Europe. 

Yeah, but then you have to deal with work visas, transferring whatever credentials you might have (they generally don't), US taxation on foreign income (which is dumb), US money-laundering laws (which make it hard to open bank accounts with foreign banks), etc. Some of this you would be able to abandon if you had another citizenship and could renounce your American one, but that causes its own issues and the US will make you pay a couple thousand dollars to do it.

Also depending where you land, the infrastructure isn't necessarily better.

Berlin's S-Bahn melted down in 2009 after three-quarters of the fleet were found to have falsified or inadequate brake inspections. BER Airport was started in 2006, supposed to open in 2012, and still hasn't opened due to an inherent design flaw that tried to ignore the laws of physics and draw smoke from below, so it's their East Side Access.

Edited by bobtehpanda