Assistant Conductor Metro North

Brivera0529

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Did you try tailoring your resume to fit the job description? I'm pretty sure the resumes are put through a software that looks for keywords such as customer service and cash-handling experience. Once it gets good match, I think HR manually reviews them and sends out a study packet for you to take an exam.

I do have a lot of customer service and cash handling experience and I did highlight it in my resume. I have worked for NJ Transit as a bus driver for 3 years now.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, 127Ridgefield said:

I do have a lot of customer service and cash handling experience and I did highlight it in my resume. I have worked for NJ Transit as a bus driver for 3 years now.

It's pretty much a waiting game at this point. Did you apply for Locomotive Engineer as well?

41 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I believe it's up there now. They're hurting for a lot of positions but especially engineers right now.

Well if they are truly hurting they need to get me ASAP lol. Heck get all of us on this forum put us in coach lol. I definitely consider the Locomotive Engineer position as well. 

3 hours ago, Blitzer120 said:

A question. If you have an education higher than an associate's Degree, do they still want some customer service experience?

I’d recommend listing it but I’m not sure it’ll help with the software when picking up keywords and phrases. So list both and hope you get a good match. Even if you don’t necessarily have customer service, teamwork and getting along with others is really important to being a good conductor or engineer.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Showmethemoney said:

Hello Everybody, I recently took the exam and passed, my question is does MNR normally send you the email to complete the background check first , or does the interview come first? 

Good to hear the news! Welcome.

As for you question, I believe it's the interview then the background check. It's really the final go-ahead before HR starts with the hiring process and background checks are expensive.

4 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Good to hear the news! Welcome.

As for you question, I believe it's the interview then the background check. It's really the final go-ahead before HR starts with the hiring process and background checks are expensive.

Thank you so much !! I know this isn’t the last step but regardless I’m very happy and excited.

Okay good , I got a little scared I’ve applied for Metro North before and took exams and immediately after they sent the email that I passed , I received another email to complete the background check..that wasn’t the case this time , so I was a little worried. 
how long do you think it would take to receive a interview invite? 

5 hours ago, Showmethemoney said:

Thank you so much !! I know this isn’t the last step but regardless I’m very happy and excited.

Okay good , I got a little scared I’ve applied for Metro North before and took exams and immediately after they sent the email that I passed , I received another email to complete the background check..that wasn’t the case this time , so I was a little worried. 
how long do you think it would take to receive a interview invite? 

For me, I believe it was a little under a week? I think in 2-3 days they called me for an interview. But they really had to rush me if I wanted to make it into the next class so I guess that’s really the ultimate factor.

7 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

For me, I believe it was a little under a week? I think in 2-3 days they called me for an interview. But they really had to rush me if I wanted to make it into the next class so I guess that’s really the ultimate factor.

That was very quick, I took the test last week Wednesday , got the email I passed on Thursday, so that process was rather fast. What did you think of the interview? Any tips that you’re willing to share is helpful :) . Are you in class already?  Sorry for all the questions , & thank you for taking the time out to reply & share information, I appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, Showmethemoney said:

That was very quick, I took the test last week Wednesday , got the email I passed on Thursday, so that process was rather fast. What did you think of the interview? Any tips that you’re willing to share is helpful :) . Are you in class already?  Sorry for all the questions , & thank you for taking the time out to reply & share information, I appreciate it. 

Most of it was hypothetical for me. I’m currently studying to be an loco engineer. I’m going to assume they’ll ask you questions about how you would deal with a non-paying passenger? and other aspects of how you would approach certain scenarios. Brush up on the job description too as they might ask you what do you think it takes to become a Conductor. @Lawrence St or @NycHopeful718 would know better.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Most of it was hypothetical for me. I’m currently studying to be a loco engineer. I’m going to assume they’ll ask you questions about how you would deal with a non-paying passenger? and other aspects of how you would approach certain scenarios. Brush up on the job description too as they might ask you what do you think it takes to become a Conductor. @Lawrence St or @NycHopeful718 would know better.

Okay,will do. I just wanna be as prepared as possible been applying for MNR conductor since 2019 and never got a hit until now, so I really don’t wanna mess this up! Thanks again & Good luck in your journey as Locomotive engineer .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

For those who got this job and made it through training. How was the commute from station to station? is it true that they'll call you at anytime of the day and just expect you to be at whatever station at the time given? I have a test next week and I'm unsure if it's even worth it to pursue this as I do no drive at the moment. lol I passed the cleaner test a couple weeks ago.

On 4/12/2024 at 5:44 PM, reed7325 said:

For those who got this job and made it through training. How was the commute from station to station? is it true that they'll call you at anytime of the day and just expect you to be at whatever station at the time given? I have a test next week and I'm unsure if it's even worth it to pursue this as I do no drive at the moment. lol I passed the cleaner test a couple weeks ago.

Did you past test hm of the study guide is actually on the test for conductor?

On 4/12/2024 at 5:44 PM, reed7325 said:

When you first get released they can send you anywhere. It’s worth it in the end, but you have to deal with it for a few weeks to a month. 

You also have lots of transit options to get to a lot of places except for the Harlem Line, Amtrak & Bee Line are very accommodating as long as you ask.

On 10/23/2023 at 6:30 AM, danielhg121 said:

Most of it was hypothetical for me. I’m currently studying to be a loco engineer. I’m going to assume they’ll ask you questions about how you would deal with a non-paying passenger? and other aspects of how you would approach certain scenarios. Brush up on the job description too as they might ask you what do you think it takes to become a Conductor. @Lawrence St or @NycHopeful718 would know better.

It’s like the BOSS tests more or less.

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

When you first get released they can send you anywhere. It’s worth it in the end, but you have to deal with it for a few weeks to a month. 

You also have lots of transit options to get to a lot of places except for the Harlem Line, Amtrak & Bee Line are very accommodating as long as you ask.

Just got discouraged after hearing horror stories, lol someone even directly recommended buying a car for the commute but I can't afford it right now. Dunno how I'm supposed to make it to Stamford or wherever from the Bronx at 2am lol.

2 hours ago, reed7325 said:

Just got discouraged after hearing horror stories, lol someone even directly recommended buying a car for the commute but I can't afford it right now. Dunno how I'm supposed to make it to Stamford or wherever from the Bronx at 2am lol.

I wouldn’t. It’s a great job. There are lots of people I know that live in the city when they first started.