Assistant Conductor Metro North

Brivera0529

Hello all! I got invited to the MNR Conductor exam this Thursday at 10am. Is there anybody else invited for that session here? I have read some of the information in this thread about the process but have a few questions. Is the test on a computer or written. Next for the math portion what should I brush off for as I have been brushing off multiplying dividing, adding, etc. But more specifically when the senior fares, child's fare, is all of that information given for the test to solve or is that something we need to know before? For the signals part is that written or multiple choice? Lastly is there a Hogan psych test at the end? But otherwise very excited for this potential opportunity as I have transportation experience.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MJGribbon said:

Hello all! I got invited to the MNR Conductor exam this Thursday at 10am. Is there anybody else invited for that session here? I have read some of the information in this thread about the process but have a few questions. Is the test on a computer or written. Next for the math portion what should I brush off for as I have been brushing off multiplying dividing, adding, etc. But more specifically when the senior fares, child's fare, is all of that information given for the test to solve or is that something we need to know before? For the signals part is that written or multiple choice? Lastly is there a Hogan psych test at the end? But otherwise very excited for this potential opportunity as I have transportation experience.

I believe they've transitioned to online entrance exams for the transportation craft employees. I would suggest brushing up on addition, subtraction and multiplication. They'll give you all the information to do the question within the exam so don't go in there memorizing how much senior, adult, peak vs. off-peak fares are etc. Signals and definitions should be multiple-choice. There should be a Hogan psych test at the end. Study hard! 

First off Congrats! I took it in December and when I took it it was multiple choice scan tron on paper. The math is basic math adding substracting division multiplication. They provide all fares you just have to calculate the fare based on price of certain fares. That part was 20 questions 30 minutes. I remember saying to myself I'm gonna get 18 perfect answers because you're on a time crunch so I focused on at least 18 perfect answers. Everything on the test is multiple choice even the signals but study study study the test material they send you because if you study that the test is really easy. Make flashcards of everything and constantly study those flashcards. There are no tricks. Whatever you see on that packet they send will be on that test. The last class that took the test they took the hogan pysch out. Which thank god because honestly waste of time for everybody. Goodluck though you got this! STUDY UP!

On 9/25/2023 at 7:34 PM, Brivera0529 said:

First off Congrats! I took it in December and when I took it it was multiple choice scan tron on paper. The math is basic math adding substracting division multiplication. They provide all fares you just have to calculate the fare based on price of certain fares. That part was 20 questions 30 minutes. I remember saying to myself I'm gonna get 18 perfect answers because you're on a time crunch so I focused on at least 18 perfect answers. Everything on the test is multiple choice even the signals but study study study the test material they send you because if you study that the test is really easy. Make flashcards of everything and constantly study those flashcards. There are no tricks. Whatever you see on that packet they send will be on that test. The last class that took the test they took the hogan pysch out. Which thank god because honestly waste of time for everybody. Goodluck though you got this! STUDY UP!

Thank you for all of the insight on this I really appreciate it. I made flashcards on EVERYTHING in the packet they gave me so I am confident that I will do well on that part. Can't help but to be nervous on the math. I have been brushing off basic math skills including decimals so I just hope I do well with that. But thank you for the information. This forum is a lifesaver considering the older forums on this topic are 15+ years old and now most likely outdated.

15 hours ago, MJGribbon said:

Thank you for all of the insight on this I really appreciate it. I made flashcards on EVERYTHING in the packet they gave me so I am confident that I will do well on that part. Can't help but to be nervous on the math. I have been brushing off basic math skills including decimals so I just hope I do well with that. But thank you for the information. This forum is a lifesaver considering the older forums on this topic are 15+ years old and now most likely outdated.

Also, best of luck to you if you make it to first interview. Some people have found it to be waste of time passing the exam, but getting rejected after the 3 panel interview. If they don’t choose you after the interview, you’ll have to reapply. I was extremely upset that I didn’t make it to signals and definitions course, but other people did.

On 9/26/2023 at 10:02 PM, MJGribbon said:

no problem I'm here to answer any questions you might have. Don't worry about the math. The most important part is try to nail as much as you can cause you only have 30 minutes for the math. If you study that packet you will pass. Don't worry trust yourself you'll be good you got this

21 minutes ago, MJGribbon said:

Hey everyone I found out four hours after completing the exam that I passed :D

It’s the first interview that you need to pass now. The exam isn’t the problem. If they don’t pick you after the first interview, you can forget about making it to the training class. Good luck and I hope they move you forward 

Edited by 2ride

2 hours ago, 2ride said:

It’s the first interview that you need to pass now. The exam isn’t the problem. If they don’t pick you after the first interview, you can forget about making it to the training class. Good luck and I hope they move you forward 

why are you always so negative on every forum you enter? I made this forum for help and positivity and you seem to come in and try and instill fear in people. Just cause you failed does not mean the interview is the problem. 

1 hour ago, Brivera0529 said:

why are you always so negative on every forum you enter? I made this forum for help and positivity and you seem to come in and try and instill fear in people. Just cause you failed does not mean the interview is the problem. 

I went through the process last year. It’s part of their procedures. There’s nothing to lie about that. You pass the test, great. But that isn’t the whole part to it. When they invite you for an interview, they’ll ask a bunch of work questions. You answer them well, great! it still doesn’t guarantee they’ll select you to move on with the process. I know somebody here who passed, but didn’t make it afterwards. You don’t know how many times I’ve been through it from to time to time, but in the end I hoped for the best for myself. I have nothing, but wisdom and best of hope and luck for everyone on here. I hope y’all get the job. I’m just saying, it’s not 100% set for every candidate. If you ask anybody else on here, they’ll tell you the same thing I’m telling you. 

fyi: please do not send me a hate mail on here if you don’t know what I’m talking about — I’ve gotten so many of them from people to the point where I had to shut them up so they never say a word to me again about the process. 

Edited by 2ride

53 minutes ago, 2ride said:

I went through the process last year. It’s part of their procedures. There’s nothing to lie about that. You pass the test, great. But that isn’t the whole part to it. When they invite you for an interview, they’ll ask a bunch of work questions. You answer them well, great! it still doesn’t guarantee they’ll select you to move on with the process. I know somebody here who passed, but didn’t make it afterwards. You don’t know how many times I’ve been through it from to time to time, but in the end I hoped for the best for myself. I have nothing, but wisdom and best of hope and luck for everyone on here. I hope y’all get the job. I’m just saying, it’s not 100% set for every candidate. If you ask anybody else on here, they’ll tell you the same thing I’m telling you. 

fyi: please do not send me a hate mail on here if you don’t know what I’m talking about — I’ve gotten so many of them from people to the point where I had to shut them up so they never say a word to me again about the process. 

Yet again you are making this about yourself. People come her for advice about tests and questions of the interview or what to expect. They are in the now and you are focused on if they don't make it. Once again they come here for answers to their questions not what if they don't make it. If a person clicks your name they will see you constantly get into arguments or are negative. That is not welcomed here period. Now you're telling me you're going to shut me up when I'm already in and actually know the whole process trying to give people real and good advice ? Give it a rest dude

Edited by Brivera0529

17 minutes ago, Brivera0529 said:

Yet again you are making this about yourself. People come her for advice about tests and questions of the interview or what to expect. They are in the now and you are focused on if they don't make it. Once again they come here for answers to their questions not what if they don't make it. If a person clicks your name they will see you constantly get into arguments or are negative. That is not welcomed here period.

People have the ability to turn your words around or throw things into their mouth that they didn’t say what they meant to say. I never tried to put a candidate down or make them feel depressed. What I’ve been doing all the time is sharing my story/my experience about the hiring process. Nothing was set in stone, and I learned it that way. But I don’t want anyone to urge into my posts and feel less confident about it either. Definitely ignore my posts, prepare, practice for the interviews, go in and answer and make it sound like you got the job already!! Every government job I’ve applied for make you do interviews once you pass an exam, and I surely didn’t get all the government jobs out there when I passed my tests. Sometimes you just gotta pull out the long strings, but not too long you know what I mean? Selection can be random sometimes. They can be hiring 10 people and only interviewing 18. You know what that means? At least 8 candidates will be weeded out. If you know something that I don’t know, you are more than welcomed to explain it to all of us. I sure as hell would love to hear it because I’m personally always seeking to get better also.

I do want to make a note that an example of people just jumping straight ahead to try turn my words around and misunderstand me is when I asked if I can reapply for conductor after one year if I fail an interview, and somebody decided to bash on me like I was talking down on everyone instead of directly answering my question. Brivera0529, you were the only one who answered my question and understood what I meant, and I appreciate it thank you. Although I didn’t get the job, I will not let it become an obstacle or discourage me to keep applying for the position out there!!

Edited by 2ride

52 minutes ago, Brivera0529 said:

Yet again you are making this about yourself. People come her for advice about tests and questions of the interview or what to expect. They are in the now and you are focused on if they don't make it. Once again they come here for answers to their questions not what if they don't make it. If a person clicks your name they will see you constantly get into arguments or are negative. That is not welcomed here period. Now you're telling me you're going to shut me up when I'm already in and actually know the whole process trying to give people real and good advice ? Give it a rest dude

Ok I apologize. So what’s your advice? I didn’t make it in last year. I want to get all the help that I can get from you. 

Edited by 2ride

On 9/30/2023 at 1:58 PM, Brivera0529 said:

don’t waste your time, the good thing is that’s he’s not in. The sad part is he keeps trying and the companies so desperate maybe this guy makes it on his 10th interview attempt.

On 9/25/2023 at 6:34 PM, danielhg121 said:

I believe they've transitioned to online entrance exams for the transportation craft employees. I would suggest brushing up on addition, subtraction and multiplication. They'll give you all the information to do the question within the exam so don't go in there memorizing how much senior, adult, peak vs. off-peak fares are etc. Signals and definitions should be multiple-choice. There should be a Hogan psych test at the end. Study hard! 

That’s wild, about time. I know the LE exam is all online now. 

On 9/30/2023 at 4:01 PM, Lawrence St said:

@Cait Sith @+Young+ can one of you guys do something about this, cause quite frankly me and others have had it.

Look its okay. People go thru some things. I don't want anything negatively directed towards anyone. If a moderator could delete negative comments I or anyone else have made id appreciate that. Keep the forums positive, motivational and helpful. Thank you 

Not to sound like I am rushing but what is the normal amount of time it takes from finding out that I passed to invitation to an interview? It says on the email of my test results that not everyone who passes the test are guaranteed an interview. Again not to be impatient or sound like I am rushing just worried that they might pass over me for consideration.

Not to sound like I am rushing but what is the normal amount of time it takes from finding out that I passed to invitation to an interview? It says on the email of my test results that not everyone who passes the test are guaranteed an interview. Again not to be impatient or sound like I am rushing just worried that they might pass over me for consideration.

They contacted me in like 2-3 days for locomotive engineer. 

27 minutes ago, 127Ridgefield said:

Anyone from NJ applied Metro North and got called in ? I’m just applied for a second time for the Assistant Conductor position. Applied earlier in the year but got no response back. 

Did you try tailoring your resume to fit the job description? I'm pretty sure the resumes are put through a software that looks for keywords such as customer service and cash-handling experience. Once it gets good match, I think HR manually reviews them and sends out a study packet for you to take an exam.