Bronx Bus Redesign 6-Month Evaluation Report

Mpn4179

Ridership on the M101 and M125 has grown more than ridership on the Bx15 and M100 has fallen in response to the shortened routes, increasing total ridership on the 125th Street corridor by 9%.

What about the M60? I know it's a long route that generally sees a lot of ridership to Astoria, but intra-Manhattan ridership is also significant (and the M101 falls in the same boat).

Bx40/Bx42 customers traveling along E 180 St are saving 11-12% (3 minutes) of their travel time in each direction along E 180 St.

I'm a bit confused. Is this compared to the former Bx36 along East 180th Street, or compared to the former Bx40/42 along East Tremont Avenue?

On 3/29/2023 at 10:16 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Ridership on the M101 and M125 has grown more than ridership on the Bx15 and M100 has fallen in response to the shortened routes, increasing total ridership on the 125th Street corridor by 9%.

What about the M60? I know it's a long route that generally sees a lot of ridership to Astoria, but intra-Manhattan ridership is also significant (and the M101 falls in the same boat).

By "increasing total ridership on the 125th Street corridor", I'm inclined to believe they're actually factoring in the M60 with that 9%... The question I'd have is, did the M60 positively or negatively affect that 9%....

Reagrdless, TBH, I question the entire stat, for numerous reasons.... It appears to me that an erroneous conclusion's been derived by, due to conflation.... They're basically trying to convey that the M125 has been this success, that garnered overall ridership increases for the corridor....

On 3/29/2023 at 10:16 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm a bit confused. Is this compared to the former Bx36 along East 180th Street, or compared to the former Bx40/42 along East Tremont Avenue?

Has to be the former (of the two options you present here).... They're emphasizing E. 180th.

On the old Bx36, those were mainly folks riding towards GWB (more than they were, riding towards Soundview)....

The MTA claimed that 22 of the 258 stops removed were reinstated.  But that was after a few months. The NYCDOT originally removed approximately 400 stops.

The MTA also claimed that bus speeds are faster.  But what about passenger travel time?  IMO, that has not significantly changed.

And service gaps still exist.  The Baychester Ave Station is still a transit desert.

Inaction speaks louder than words.

50 minutes ago, dkupf said:

The MTA claimed that 22 of the 258 stops removed were reinstated.  But that was after a few months. The NYCDOT originally removed approximately 400 stops.

The MTA also claimed that bus speeds are faster.  But what about passenger travel time?  IMO, that has not significantly changed.

And service gaps still exist.  The Baychester Ave Station is still a transit desert.

Inaction speaks louder than words.

So how would you go about directly serving that station without creating a stub?

2 hours ago, dkupf said:

Yeah, this is the great cloak that the MTA loves to spoof its passengers with... Faster bus speeds (especially for as minimal an increase as it is) doesn't automatically translate to decreased travel times...

2 hours ago, dkupf said:

1 hour ago, Lex said:

So how would you go about directly serving that station without creating a stub?

I'm of the belief that all the fuss over the years of a bus route not directly serving Baychester (5) is fake outrage.... Regardless of the route alteration that took place with the Bx30 with this latest redesign, it still runs proximate enough to that station.... It is interesting though that of whatever service gaps still remain in The Bronx, that's "one" that was opted to have made a sticking point about....

Another sentiment that I have is that the term transit desert is used too loosely....

Edited by B35 via Church

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Except I haven’t seen a large amount of people using the Bx30 as opposed to the W60/61. And part of that has to do with the mall near Ropes Avenue since the Bx30 does not go there.

Not nearly to the degree of the Bx30 stubbing at White Plains Road...

Speaking of the Bx30, I took the Bx39 earlier (which for whatever reason, abruptly ended at Nereid <_<) & noticed that the bus stop pole at the last dropoff stop of the Bx30 says "Norwood".. SMFH.... Not only is the shit a stub, they can't even put the right damn signage at the pole :lol:

As far as the BL-60/61, bringing those routes up only makes the general area around Baychester (5) even less of a so-called damn transit desert...

23 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Speaking of the Bx30, I took the Bx39 earlier (which for whatever reason, abruptly ended at Nereid <_<) & noticed that the bus stop pole at the last dropoff stop of the Bx30 says "Norwood".. SMFH.... Not only is the shit a stub, they can't even put the right damn signage at the pole :lol:

As far as the BL-60/61, bringing those routes up only makes the general area around Baychester (5) even less of a so-called damn transit desert...

I noticed that signage for the Bx30 last week as well.

You think that’s funny, check out the Bx25 signs. The majority of the signs on the bus stop heading towards Bedford Park says “Norwood” too.

6 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Didn't the (Bx26)go to Fordham once upon a time?

Yes, yes it did. Personally, I'd have it return there under a different structuring of Allerton Avenue and Gun Hill Road bus service, but that's for a different topic.

East of Boston Rd for both the (Bx40) & (Bx42) is about to get an extra transit hub when Parkchester-Van Nest (MNR) station is completed in a few years. The station is located before you reach Unionport Rd on the west bound of Tremont Ave (the (Bx22)). As for the other stops, The 180th St stop is between Morris Park and the (2) & (5) station so the walking distance is shorter if you’re taking that or the (Bx21) or (BxM10). But since Sheridan lost it’s expressway, they should’ve put a stop on 172nd St & Sheridan Blvd for the (BxM10) and should be the last stop in the Bronx for Manhattan Bound buses to serve the ppl that live in that area

Edited by FLX9304

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 8:52 PM, B35 via Church said:

I still think the rerouting of the Bx30, at least to the way it is now, was a waste. Literally everyone still uses the 60 and 61, I’ve only seen a handful of people use the Bx30, except when the 60 and 61 isn’t running.

I wonder if WDOT and NYCDOT could have came to an agreement that NYCT Bus would operate the Bronx portion of the 60/61 to Ropes Ave overnight instead of wasting resources rerouting the 30.