Question about the 1993 TMC RTS buses

Novabus 5000

Look on the bottom. There's a thin piece of metal jutting out from the bumper. The exhaust is behind it.

That picture was probably taken before the bus was refitted with a Detroit Diesel Series 50, which has the roof exhaust. In that picture it probably has a 6V92 with street exhaust.

• 4 years later...

I Really miss hearing the 6V92 engine Screaming down my street No Matter if it was a Classic, GMC RTS or TMC RTS

Same here, the moment I started walking i would race a GMC bus down the street a 3000. Those had the slowest take off's so I was keeping pace with the bus or beating it down the street lol. Back in like 96/97, Those were the days. I used to sit all the way in the back so i could smell the smoke, and the smoke from the outside would come in the bus.

Same here, the moment I started walking i would race a GMC bus down the street a 3000. Those had the slowest take off's so I was keeping pace with the bus or beating it down the street lol. Back in like 96/97, Those were the days. I used to sit all the way in the back so i could smell the smoke, and the smoke from the outside would come in the bus.

You know, I remember when Flatbush had the 8400s and Jackie Gleason having the 8500s. I used to ride them before they were repowered to DD50 EGR in 2002. If I recall, the last time I rode them pre-repowered was on the B41 sometime in '02. I also rememeber the 1990-1991 TMC RTS's also getting repowered around the 2002-2003 time frame, where as the 1993 Orion Vs seemed to of been repowered in 2000-2001.

I Really miss hearing the 6V92 engine Screaming down my street No Matter if it was a Classic, GMC RTS or TMC RTS

There are a few youtube videos of them back in the 90s before they were repowered.

Man, those 6v92 engines were something! Why did they repower the TMC's to DD50 in the first place?

It had to do with pollution I think as well as EPA regulations. Although everyone on the East coast and Midwest had it easy. West coast is very strict on buses with two cycle engines. With that said enjoy this.

The west coast (at least most of California) was never strict per se in regards to buses already in service. Sure they banned the sale of two-cycle vehicles, and eventually the sale of diesel buses, but they never forced repowers. LACMTA ran their 89-92 TMC's until 09-10, roughly 20 years. OCTA ran a select few 1980 RTS's until 2007, nearly 20 years. I could continue, but the point is that for the most part, these buses were kept original until they were placed out of service.

• 5 weeks later...
The west coast (at least most of California) was never strict per se in regards to buses already in service. Sure they banned the sale of two-cycle vehicles, and eventually the sale of diesel buses, but they never forced repowers. LACMTA ran their 89-92 TMC's until 09-10, roughly 20 years. OCTA ran a select few 1980 RTS's until 2007, nearly 20 years. I could continue, but the point is that for the most part, these buses were kept original until they were placed out of service.

Well, we retired our 1981-1984 RTS's between 2000-2004, well our 1985-1987 RTS's were scrapped between 2005-2007.

Well, we retired our 1981-1984 RTS's between 2000-2004, well our 1985-1987 RTS's were scrapped between 2005-2007.

Way to revive an old thread. No worries though. I was mainly stating at the time that California and other states on the Wst Coast weren't as strict as some believe them to be.

Regardless, I pretty much knew that already.

You know, I remember when Flatbush had the 8400s and Jackie Gleason having the 8500s. I used to ride them before they were repowered to DD50 EGR in 2002. If I recall, the last time I rode them pre-repowered was on the B41 sometime in '02. I also rememeber the 1990-1991 TMC RTS's also getting repowered around the 2002-2003 time frame, where as the 1993 Orion Vs seemed to of been repowered in 2000-2001.

There are a few youtube videos of them back in the 90s before they were repowered.

Do you think you can send it a link? I would be so wonderful to hear them again.

Do you think you can send it a link? I would be so wonderful to hear them again.

Link is broken. Just go to youtube and type "NYC Subway: Queens Plaza, EFGR Trains". There is a non repowered #8500 that appears at the end making a turn on the B61 (assigned to Jackie Gleason, so likely before the C40LFs arrived).

Archived