Should NJTransit take over operating the NYC-Philadelphia bus runs from Greyhound?

Shortline Bus

Just a simple question since i got my brother living in the South Jersey/Philly area. Should NJ Transit take over operations from Greyhound and run a 24-hour/7 day a week service between NYC-Port Authority and Phildelphia?

Ideally Amtrak or SEPTA/NJ Transit should run 24-7 between those '2' mega cities.

It be similar to NJ Transit's Atlantic City-NY and Philadelphia-AC lines.

Headways is every 20-30 minutes most of the day, every hour late evenings from 9pm-Midnight and every 2-3 hours from 1am-5am on the AC-NY & AC-Philly lines.

Late nights the long distance Greyhound bus would replace NJ Transit runs.

I know they separte agencies but during winter snowstorms and other situations, NJ Transit cross honors Greyhound and vice versa on occasion.

What you guys think?

If anything, Peter Pan should take over that from Greyhound. Train is the fastest way to go though, as I-95 (NJTP) can become a cluster f%&K, especially during the rush hours.......

Peter Pan was brought and merged into the Greyhound Northeast bus network a few years ago around 2005-06.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I believe that the GLI service (aside from the late night issues with demand you can find on most days) is suitable for the demand they have.

With that said, I do not believe that NJT taking over the line is within their jurisdiction, nor would it make much sense, unless like it was previously said, the service made additional stops within NJ enroute. The NY-Philly line is an intercity service, and although the Mt. Laurel commuter service is technically a commuter line under NJT, according to the private carrier website, it is still an intercity line with no real operation in the state of NJ to justify a takeover. Would it be more efficiently run, of course. But then again look at the options available on the flip side that are eating away at GLI/PPB traditional terminal-to-terminal service:

BoltBus (which I take every week RT) - from 30th Street Station to 34th/8th and Grand/Watts via Cherry Hill Mall (max fare = $15) and holds dominant market share

MegaBus (split w/Coach + Philly Trolley Works) - from 30th Street Station and Independence Hall to 28th/7th (p/u is 31st/8th) (max fare = $14), taken substantial business away from tradtional GLI/PPB service

New Century/AA-Todays Bus - from 11th& Filbert and 11th and Race respectively to Chinatown (Allen Street) - (max fare = $12)

Also, another point made earlier about PPB taking over, as was mentioned, GLI and PPB entered into a pooling agreement so as to consolidate conflicting interests and control market share (at that time when signed in 1999). The agreement is that GLI operates 58% of the runs, and PPB operates 42%,which in turn leads to the 3-5 runs you see on the schedule for Philly based out of Secaucus, NJ.

And I agree that on heavy peak periods (M-F 4PM-8PM and Sunday 5-8PM) SEPTA R-7 to the NJT NEC in TRENTON is the way to go - for me though, I always take the 1PM BoltBus out of 30th and arrive on 34th/8th at a comfortable 2:55PM - my 7:30AM on Mondays arrives 9:35AM most days.

I think (NJT) should have pool service, so people know they can rely on getting wherever, but keep coachusa, greyhound etc where they are now. Lakeland i agree. There is not enough funding in (NJT) budget to take over all the lines, that's why there are contracted services in places such as new brunswick, however there is room for expansion here and there. That said, i think there needs to be more uniform and compatible cross-agency scheduling so people, even if they do have to take several seats to get wherever, they can do it and be confident that one section won't be missing for whatever reason. Example is between bucks county and hamilton station. :septa: does not at all fall in line with (NJT) busses, and the R3 line needs better connections after you get off the train. West trenton station should get a bus that goes non-stop to trenton, and limited stop to hamilton. The (608?) bus that currently connects trenton and west trenton is beak hours only in peak direction, other times it does not go the full route. Have them match the train timetables. Not that hard!

- A

Wirelessly posted (TELECA-/2.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; EN-US; SAMSUNG; SPH-M800; Teleca/Q05A/INT) MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Trenton can get better njt service but there isnt enough buses, they only have novas and flexs. Njt is really sad in that area.

They can buy some of the 8400-8500 series and ex-DOT TMCs from the MTA if they need local buses that bad.

There's plenty of areas in NJ where bus service is lacking. You can't wait for the bus in Dover without the taxis stopping and beeping their horns at you and driving past the same spot several times within the span of 10 minutes.

Good points all around. So, (NJT) needs more funding. How about get some hybrid busses, put them in trenton, then also have highway corridor service to compliment :nec: trains in case there's an issue with the trains plus allow train riders to get off & take bus to near their home vs drive.

- A

Off topic for minute. That whole coordior in NW New Jersey along Interstate 80 in Sussex and Passic Counties is awful with mass transit.

Not off topic, i think (NJT) could afford some more bus routes, but it can't cover the whole state alone even with rail and light rail.

- A

Archived