Should Bonds, Clemens, McGuire, Sosa & AROD be banned from MLB's Hall of Fame?

Shortline Bus

AW Wang. A bit of advice. You dont have to comment in every thread on these boards if you dont know something. Are you a sports or baseball fan Wang? If not maybe saying something on subject you dont know makes little sense.

I concur.

- A

Whatever, remove them at your own risk, Mr. Hall Of Fame, of having a Hall Of Shame on top of you...

The hall of fame is for people who properly represent the spirit of the sport. I have a feeling a few mets will be there. Davie Wright & Jose Reyes. Man it's fun to watch them play, they really do love the game, and are good sportsmen, and support the team vs being one man show kinda personality.

Pete Rose is not in the hall of fame because he bet on his own team. There are several examples, but the point is simple. Do well, and you may get in. Mess up the spirit of the game, and you should be removed.

- A

Look, I still not agree with most of you guys, like Hudson River said, only SOME steroid users should still be eligible for the HOF, but not the BALCO boys.

If I were up to me Young man(Ulmer)none of the players mentioned in this thread ie Bonds, Clemens, AROD should get in. However you also need to have an open mind too. Gaylord Perry an HOF admitted to using a spit ball a violation of MLB rules. Also several players admitted to the HOF over last few years that played in the 1980's and 90's are rumored to use cocaine.

On the character issue, Ty Cobb was a member of the Ku Klax Klan. And most of us know about the King of Party Animal himself Babe Ruth lol.:cool:

Seriously if i was the head of MLB Hall of Fame selection ommittee the fairest way is to separte all of the suspected cheats in this era this is a great idea. I would follow the propsal that long time NBC sportscaster and Baseball Historian Bob Costas proposed, along with several other people.

If someone like Bonds and Clemens gets on the ballot, ask yourself if they carrers prior to their suspected start of using steriods began around 1999-2000 is worthy of going to Cooperstown?IMO the answer is 'yes.' While personally I cant stand both Bonds and Clemens, but these '2' stars are the saddest since they were already 1st ballot locks. Now Bonds and Clemens may have to wait many years like Pete Rose to get in.

I dont condone what Bonds, Clemens and other for what they did.

For most of the other guys who been caught or been suspected like McGuire, Sosa, Palemro and others, the answer is a resounding 'no.' Without the 'juice' those formentioned players who were all very good-excellent players would not have the 'out of the world' stats. Partciuarly McGuire who carrer was alomost over due to lagging injuries when he was tradeded from Oakland to the Cardinals in 1996.

In 1996, at time he was suspected to start taking steriods related products his #'s took off to Babe Ruth type numbers. In my view McGuire probably in a normal carrer(without the 'juice')probably finishes with only 300-400 home runs and just short for the HOF. Ditto for Sosa, Palmero, Shefield, etc. In other words without the juice, no extra cash and thus little or no chance of getting into Cooperstown.

Regarding someone like AROD if say this. If he stays 'clean' fror rest of his carrer and continues his great offensive numbers he should get in the HOF. However when he gets close to or breaks the 700-plus home run record, it will be tainted.

As far as blame, it goes to many people IMO. From the idiot MLB chief Bud Selig(I refuse to call him "MLB Commissioner)to Players Union Boss Donald Fehr, most of the MLB players, TV partners ESPN and Fox-TV Network and even the media for caring more about the $$$ then the great traidition of this great game. Those formentioned parties threw down the drain, over a century of records the most pretgious in all of sports for higher tv ratings and attendence following the 1994-95 players strike.

This era is also a slap in the face also to the players and owners who bulit the game from Ruth to Jackie Robinson.

Finally IMO, i think there should be an asterik on all MLB offensive numbers from 1995-2005 and then resume the 'normal numbers' from 2006 season-onwards the first year of mandoatry testing.

Guys you dont have to agree with me but just my takes on this issue.

Off Topic. It now more than time and overdue to put Pete Rose and "accused 1919 Black Sox' player Shoeless Joe Jackson in the HOF please?

Oh, I thought you said, they should be inducted into the HOF. Yes, spitball is illigal in the game of baseball, and so is steroids. Some of these players made amazing accomplishments pre-post their steroid using time. Now, that A-Rod has come out and admitted his steroid use, he could have a clean HR record- 553-209=344 of his HR plus the ones til 763 will be clean so 344 + 200 somethin HR would still equal 500 HR. So yes, A-Rod should be eligible.

• 10 months later...

Guys i am sorry to bring back an old topic. However today 1/11/10, probably to save his job being appointed to the Cardinals as their hitting coach Mark McGuire finally admitted he used steriods and peds'.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2010/01/11/2010-01-11_st_louis_cardinals_slugger_mark_mcgwire.html

Now he has come clean, does McGuire belong in the MLB Hall of Fame?

Guys i am sorry to bring back an old topic. However today 1/11/10, probably to save his job being appointed to the Cardinals as their hitting coach Mark McGuire finally admitted he used steriods and peds'.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2010/01/11/2010-01-11_st_louis_cardinals_slugger_mark_mcgwire.html

Now he has come clean, does McGuire belong in the MLB Hall of Fame?

Nope his admission was insincere and done because he wants back into baseball and to become a hall of famer which is very lucrative. I dont think mcguire numbers ate that good or hall of fame anyway. The question you must ask is would mcguire be a hall of famer without steroids nope

Nope his admission was insincere and done because he wants back into baseball and to become a hall of famer which is very lucrative. I dont think mcguire numbers ate that good or hall of fame anyway. The question you must ask is would mcguire be a hall of famer without steroids nope

If Bud Selig had any guys he should remove McGuire/Bonds/Sosa from the home run records and give it back to both Maris and Aaron imo.:mad:

Are you kidd'n me. AROD should definetly get out of the hall of fame. It's like he is there for taking steroids. Send him to rehab. He is probably still taking steroids:mad:. He shall be :lock:ed up

:cough: Mets fan :cough:

Anyway, he said he did it during his years in Texas. Plus this year he showed he can still hit very well even after his hip surgery. ARod deserves to go to the HOF. Anyone can make mistakes, and so long as he stays clean and does well, why deny him his right?

:cough: Mets fan :cough:

Anyway, he said he did it during his years in Texas. Plus this year he showed he can still hit very well even after his hip surgery. ARod deserves to go to the HOF. Anyone can make mistakes, and so long as he stays clean and does well, why deny him his right?

GC Forest Glen Nel or other yankee fans on the boards. What about Roger Clemens?

There's too much competition and too little sportsmanship in baseball today. Weren't steroids a major issue starting in the 1970s and 1980s? There is no satisfaction in winning if it didn't take all of your efforts and instead had someone or something to give you the unfair advantage... Sad to say this, but they screwed up their chances at getting into the Hall of Fame.

There's too much competition and too little sportsmanship in baseball today. Weren't steroids a major issue starting in the 1970s and 1980s? There is no satisfaction in winning if it didn't take all of your efforts and instead had someone or something to give you the unfair advantage... Sad to say this, but they screwed up their chances at getting into the Hall of Fame.

well and dont be sorry and well said. At least for McGuire and Sosa getting voted into cooperstown might be kissed good bye forever imo.:tdown:

Should they be banned from the HOF?

My answer to this.

HELL, NO!!!

Getting disqualified from the HOF because they took PEDs is ludicrous. Yes, it's a form of cheating, and I don't condone it. A big problem is the era. The 1990s through early 200s is dubbed the "Steroid Era," and we don't know how many people did it. I could be an idiot and throw some random number out there, but I won't, for we don't know for certain.

And I hope the records made by Bonds, McGwire, whoever who took steroids are NEVER taken away. A big flaw in this lame argument is that the MLB has never taken away a record. If you do take a record away, then the books will be a huge mess, and it will have to be rewritten from scratch. If you ask me, ignoring the records made by these "steroid users" is stupid and makes me wonder if they're actually fans of the game. Ignoring them, to me, is equivalent to saying that this era never existed, that it was all an illusion. Absolute B.S. If you ask me, ignoring these records and pretending they don't exist is a WORSE crime than what Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro, Clemens, or A-Rod did combined. The records are there, and I'll officially recognize it. I'm a fan because I respect the game and the negatives and positives of it, even if I don't like how the records are forever tainted. Bonds IS the HR-record holder and single-season HR-record holder (McGwire second). That's a FACT, and you can't ignore that. I won't ignore that as long as I live.

Would I vote for them if I did? Absolutely, and I will never change my mind. Cheated or not, they were some of the most feared players in the game at the time. They played well. They brought baseball back from the dead. I'm not going to single these players out.

P.S.: Almost everyone has forgotten that Bonds was a future Hall-of-Famer before his alleged steroid usage began in early 1999. He was still hitting very well, and he was the only one to hit 400 homers, steal 400 bases, and he was a great defensive left-fielder (six gold gloves, I think).

Should they be banned from the HOF?

My answer to this.

HELL, NO!!!

Getting disqualified from the HOF because they took PEDs is ludicrous. Yes, it's a form of cheating, and I don't condone it. A big problem is the era. The 1990s through early 200s is dubbed the "Steroid Era," and we don't know how many people did it. I could be an idiot and throw some random number out there, but I won't, for we don't know for certain.

And I hope the records made by Bonds, McGwire, whoever who took steroids are NEVER taken away. A big flaw in this lame argument is that the MLB has never taken away a record. If you do take a record away, then the books will be a huge mess, and it will have to be rewritten from scratch. If you ask me, ignoring the records made by these "steroid users" is stupid and makes me wonder if they're actually fans of the game. Ignoring them, to me, is equivalent to saying that this era never existed, that it was all an illusion. Absolute B.S. If you ask me, ignoring these records and pretending they don't exist is a WORSE crime than what Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro, Clemens, or A-Rod did combined. The records are there, and I'll officially recognize it. I'm a fan because I respect the game and the negatives and positives of it, even if I don't like how the records are forever tainted. Bonds IS the HR-record holder and single-season HR-record holder (McGwire second). That's a FACT, and you can't ignore that. I won't ignore that as long as I live.

Would I vote for them if I did? Absolutely, and I will never change my mind. Cheated or not, they were some of the most feared players in the game at the time. They played well. They brought baseball back from the dead. I'm not going to single these players out.

P.S.: Almost everyone has forgotten that Bonds was a future Hall-of-Famer before his alleged steroid usage began in early 1999. He was still hitting very well, and he was the only one to hit 400 homers, steal 400 bases, and he was a great defensive left-fielder (six gold gloves, I think).

Great point on why Bud Selig and other MLB leaders more than likely wont do anything to wipe out the records from the streiod era.:mad:

Archived